Remember me
Login  |   Register
Old August 3rd, 2009, 09:18 AM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

Cool 2007 Ducati 1098 Stalling Issue Resolved

Hi All,

I have a 2007 Ducati 1098 with Termignoni slip-ons. It has 6300 miles. I purchased it used with 1900 miles on it. From day one the bike stalled every now and then while in neutral waiting at a light. It then began to stall more frequently and eventually began to stall at low speeds. At that point, it became very annoying and dangerous to ride.

I took it into the local Ducati dealer and under warranty they replaced all four camshafts, the airbox, and the ECU with 2008 components. I have ridden it 300 miles and it has not stalled! It also seems to have a little more power on the top end. The bike will wheelie under WOT at the top of second gear

-Nyquist
nyquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old August 3rd, 2009, 10:09 AM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

That's great to hear! I just had my cams replaced too, I had the magical #3 stamped on my cams and my bike was stalling at the stoplights in neutral as well.

However...that doesn't seem to be the end of my problems. Now the bike has shut off at speed, 70mph in fourth gear, about 5200rpms on the highway. It also stutters/sputters under about the same load which has been a lot of fun climbing in the canyon. It feels like it's trying to buck me off the way it sputters. It's back in the shop two weeks after getting the cams replaced. uggh.

Last edited by Park1098; August 3rd, 2009 at 01:43 PM.
Park1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2009, 10:28 AM   #3

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

What is the reason why the bike spurrs like that, Do you know? Mine does the same once in while and Im trying to figure it out.
DrSeUeS66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2009, 10:40 AM   #4

Maybe they should replace the airbox and ECU too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park1098 View Post
That's great to hear! I just had my cams replaced too, I had the magical #3 stamped on my cams and my bike was stalling at the stoplights in neutral as well.

However...that doesn't seem to be the end of my problems. Now the bike has shut off at speed, 70mph in fourth gear, about 5200rpms on the highway. It also stutterings/sputters under about the same load which has been a lot of fun climbing in the canyon. It feels like it's trying to buck me off the way it sputters. It's back in the shop two weeks after getting the cams replaced. uggh.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 12:07 PM   #5

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

I found the problem only happen when riding in hot weather 90F+ for me. I guess high temp is one big factor.

M1st1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2009, 01:45 PM   #6

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Airbox could be an issue though what would be the problem caused by the airbox?

My ECU is not stock, it's the ECU that came with the Termi slip-ons so I imagine that's not the problem.

However, heat is interesting though again, why would that be a problem? It is in the nineties here most days but the problem is occuring after the bike is moving along just fine, sometimes after I've climbed 2,000 feet up into cooler air.
Park1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2009, 04:50 PM   #7

My ECU came with my Termi slip-ons as well. They replaced it with a newer version.
Old August 4th, 2009, 08:48 AM   #8

ducatis in the registry:
[1198]

Sputtering or Spuring

My 1198 was sputtering or spuring (I like to call it chugging) from day one. So i dropped down to a 14 tooth front sproket. The cost of the front sproket is only $ 25.00 (after market, not Ducati) so no big deal if you don't like it and want to go back to stock sproket. That pretty much fixed the issue and the bike is so much smoother in low gears. These bikes are geared pretty high. So trying to get power out of the trottle in a higher gear at low speeds causes the chugging. To get the power you want you always had to shift down a gear or two. You do lose some top end by dropping down to 14 tooth. But im not going 180mph anyway so it doesnt bother me i like more low end power. For the low cost its worth trying
Vindutch is offline   Reply With Quote