Remember me
Login  |   Register
Old August 24th, 2009, 04:39 PM   #1
Member

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

 
motorcyclepimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Diego SO-CAL!
Posts: 241
PPG Paint code for Ducati red?

Does anyone have the PPG paint code for the Ducati red? Getting some plastics painted and want to get the exact match.
motorcyclepimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old August 24th, 2009, 04:59 PM   #2
Senior Member

ducatis in the registry:
[916 SPS]

 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In the Vomitorium
Posts: 10,941
PPG Anniversary red - 473.101 - should be in the manual
__________________








Last edited by brettc63; August 24th, 2009 at 05:01 PM.
brettc63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 09:51 AM   #3
Member

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 249
473.101 = Red Anniversary Ducat / Rosso in the global line




The codes in the manual are only for waterbase paint. i have spent a lot of time trying to get a paint match/code because i wanted a match as well.



This is the key to a match

Here is the Nexa Waterbase formula:



PPG CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION
This color information is the proprietary property of PPG Industries, Inc. and must be maintained in strict confidence. Access and use are restricted to recipient and its employees who have a need to know.
Copyright 1999-2009 PPG Industries, Inc. All Rights Reserved. All unauthorized copying will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

Formulation Report
Date:Wednesday, April 29, 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1EVLB : NO 1 : BCS : 2000 : -Body : ROSSO : 473.101 : DUCATI : MOT
Brand Reference: 1EVLB
Finish Effect: Solid

Use/Benutzen/Utiliser SG06

Main Layer:1EVLB
Price Code:
Revision Date:10/13/2005

Code Description Gms/Qt Cum.
P993-8941 STRONG RED 575.80 575.80
P992-8935 MAGENTA 62.00 637.80
P990-8904 REDUCED BLACK 17.70 655.50
P993-8970 STRONG YELLOW 39.90 695.40
P992-8964 WINE RED 298.50 993.90

HAPS Content (lb/gal): 0.01 Density (g/L) Density(lbs / gal) Volatiles wt. % Water wt. % Exempt wt. % Water vol. % Exempt vol. %
1,035 8.64 76.7 69.2 0.0 71.8 0.0


this is what the code in the ducati owners manual transfers to. NOT EVERYONE CAN SPARY WATERBASE PAINT

now if your going to use dupont your on your own

good luck
__________________
ducatisonicboom
ducati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 01:09 PM   #4
Supporting Vendor

ducatis in the registry:
[Hypermotard 1100 S]
[848]

 
nick.kister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 2,402
colorrite.com
nick.kister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 11:44 AM   #5
Member

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

 
motorcyclepimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Diego SO-CAL!
Posts: 241
Thanks guys! I have a PPG shop down the street that can match it with this info. Going to be spraying some race glass and touching up some blems on the tank.
motorcyclepimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 08:50 PM   #6
Banned

No ducatis in the registry

 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,776
Not trying to jack your thread... Ok... Maybe a little...

I'm in need of the paint code for the black 1098S..

Thanks.

RC
RC51-05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2009, 07:28 AM   #7
Member

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 249
I might be able to help you out. Take your paint code from your book and go to the ppg supplier in your town tell them the code should be in there waterbase paint line. they might have to call their color library hot line to get it for you. Now you have to remember that not everyone can spray waterbase paint it is a new application in a lot of states . if your in CA your in like flin because it is the standared there.
__________________
ducatisonicboom
ducati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2009, 10:48 AM   #8
Member

No ducatis in the registry

 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati View Post
I might be able to help you out. Take your paint code from your book and go to the ppg supplier in your town tell them the code should be in there waterbase paint line. they might have to call their color library hot line to get it for you. Now you have to remember that not everyone can spray waterbase paint it is a new application in a lot of states . if your in CA your in like flin because it is the standared there.

I'm in California & its not STANDARD for me..... Standard in LA maybe but other parts of CA are national rule....... & why can't anyone spray waterbase?????? No matter cause I use Dupont formula straight from Italy in urethane...
PainterDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2009, 12:04 PM   #9
Member

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 249
I GUESS ANYONE CAN THAT IS SET UP FOR IT !

But you need dryers to dry the paint and your air supply needs to be filtered so the water content is very low in it. ... they have hand dryers you can use takes a while to do it that way going over all of the surface of what you painted. or they have a fan system for your paint booth...... its cool to use water base dries in a few seconds when you use driers on it. you can be pealing your tape of in a mater of minutes..and i believe the the spray guns have an attachment on them......

And guys dont bother asking painterdude for his paint codes he wont give them up.
__________________
ducatisonicboom

Last edited by ducati; August 27th, 2009 at 12:11 PM.
ducati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2009, 10:31 PM   #10
Member

No ducatis in the registry

 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati View Post
I GUESS ANYONE CAN THAT IS SET UP FOR IT !

But you need dryers to dry the paint and your air supply needs to be filtered so the water content is very low in it. ... they have hand dryers you can use takes a while to do it that way going over all of the surface of what you painted. or they have a fan system for your paint booth...... its cool to use water base dries in a few seconds when you use driers on it. you can be pealing your tape of in a mater of minutes..and i believe the the spray guns have an attachment on them......

And guys dont bother asking painterdude for his paint codes he wont give them up.

?????? Whats up with that??? You don't even know me.... It depends who asks & how they represent themselves.... I have given them away, twice on here, denied only once & was because he represented himself as Competition & I owned the color, a D16RR that formula is not available to public.... 1098 formula is there for the taking if you know where to look, you obviously Don't.....All the info you need to find it is in my previous post, that is, if you are smart enough to figure it out....


Waterbourne automotive paint technology is fairly new & they are still working out the bugs, while some aspects of it are nice, I still prefer the solvent based counterparts, as they are proven in reliability.... Also, only the Base Coat is water based, The Clear Coats are all still solvent based, so for the exception of the big air blower that dries the pait, the equipment for spraying is the same & if you are patient & spray on a warm enough day, you don't need the dryer, a hair dryer works just as well also, for the do it yourselfer..... Last time I lookedyou don't want a High water content in your air supply, no matter what type of paint you are spraying ........ You "Believe" that the spray guns have an attachment on them?? Look, you either know what you are talking about or you Don't...so which is it??

Last edited by PainterDude; August 29th, 2009 at 10:56 PM.
PainterDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 12:16 PM   #11
Member

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 249
We have exchanged mail and never once did you offer to give me a paint code that i could use. i get the same answer you give every time . (1098 formula is there for the taking if you know where to look) same b/s you give every time...( i know its there i have seen it ) sounds like you Right ? I have talked to a ppg rep. That code in the book is the same code they have used for years. But the mix has change over the years. The only way the code would work for a 1098 07 and newer was in a waterborne paint. Right from the ppg rep. Now where should i have looked ? i went to the source..
ME -
After all my research i have only have been able to come up with a water base color for this Ducati code from PPG. In there nexa line of paints. as per our sales rep.
I emailed somone at PPG . this is what they told me
we have no way of getting this formula for you in global. it is available currently only in European based paint. We do not keep those standards here, therefore we cannot match it.
 
YOU -
What exactly do you want from me...(YOUR OPINION, WHERE SHOULD I LOOK ) A formula in PPG, I can't help you, I use Dupont.... If you want the Dupont Formula it is there if you Know where to look, just like the PPG.... I suggested that you call trhe PPG tech line,( DID YOU NOT READ WHAT IS ABOVE) did you try that?? I am not about to give out my information to possible competitors, I don't know your situation,( I TOLD YOU WHAT I WAS DOING AND WHERE I WORKED ) but I know that I found the Formulas, so I suppose others can find them as well.... As far as I know, there is no difference between the paints from US to Europe, they are just labled differently... As with the Dupont, all the Toners are the same the #'s correspond & the colors match...

If you would like to purchase the paint, I can sell to you, but the red is quite expensive to make..... $88 per pint... (OR I COULD MIX MY OWN )


( I owned the color, a D16RR that formula is not available to public.... ) really what did you pay for it ? You dont own the color , I think ducati owns the color formula. I dont think the paint color makes a good painter, its a color not a good job.

Ok so if you come up with your own color or make a color that is the same as a factory color , i guess you own the color you made . but published colors/code are not owned by anyone.
water born paint is not all that new. New to the masses that are painting used cars etc..
Your right only the basecoats are waterborne you sill use the same clear coats.
The attachment to the gun was a air filter. Yes you want a low water content with all paints but with waterborne it needs to be lower then what most shops would use for solvent based .
You could force dry it with a hair dryer or let it sit on a warm day and watch paint dry if you wanted to . that is why they force dry it . I would bet most shop would say no to spraying waterborne paint if they have never worked with it.

I do like you work and ideas but the paint color is not what makes me like what you do.
__________________
ducatisonicboom
ducati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 10:36 AM   #12
Member

No ducatis in the registry

 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati View Post
We have exchanged mail and never once did you offer to give me a paint code that i could use. i get the same answer you give every time . (1098 formula is there for the taking if you know where to look) same b/s you give every time...( i know its there i have seen it ) sounds like you Right ? I have talked to a ppg rep. That code in the book is the same code they have used for years. But the mix has change over the years. The only way the code would work for a 1098 07 and newer was in a waterborne paint. Right from the ppg rep. Now where should i have looked ? i went to the source..
ME -
After all my research i have only have been able to come up with a water base color for this Ducati code from PPG. In there nexa line of paints. as per our sales rep.
I emailed somone at PPG . this is what they told me
we have no way of getting this formula for you in global. it is available currently only in European based paint. We do not keep those standards here, therefore we cannot match it.
 
YOU -
What exactly do you want from me...(YOUR OPINION, WHERE SHOULD I LOOK ) A formula in PPG, I can't help you, I use Dupont.... If you want the Dupont Formula it is there if you Know where to look, just like the PPG.... I suggested that you call trhe PPG tech line,( DID YOU NOT READ WHAT IS ABOVE) did you try that?? I am not about to give out my information to possible competitors, I don't know your situation,( I TOLD YOU WHAT I WAS DOING AND WHERE I WORKED ) but I know that I found the Formulas, so I suppose others can find them as well.... As far as I know, there is no difference between the paints from US to Europe, they are just labled differently... As with the Dupont, all the Toners are the same the #'s correspond & the colors match...

If you would like to purchase the paint, I can sell to you, but the red is quite expensive to make..... $88 per pint... (OR I COULD MIX MY OWN )


( I owned the color, a D16RR that formula is not available to public.... ) really what did you pay for it ? You dont own the color , I think ducati owns the color formula. I dont think the paint color makes a good painter, its a color not a good job.

Ok so if you come up with your own color or make a color that is the same as a factory color , i guess you own the color you made . but published colors/code are not owned by anyone.
water born paint is not all that new. New to the masses that are painting used cars etc..
Your right only the basecoats are waterborne you sill use the same clear coats.
The attachment to the gun was a air filter. Yes you want a low water content with all paints but with waterborne it needs to be lower then what most shops would use for solvent based .
You could force dry it with a hair dryer or let it sit on a warm day and watch paint dry if you wanted to . that is why they force dry it . I would bet most shop would say no to spraying waterborne paint if they have never worked with it.

I do like you work and ideas but the paint color is not what makes me like what you do.




Good thing I didn't give you the formula, cause you would have posted all over the net, My instincs about you paid off.... Try using your phone, as I suggested..... The tech lines are for Technicians, Like us, the e-mail is for the public use & they don't help much, as your reply from PPG... But again I don't use PPG...... Talk to someone in your area that uses Dupont, He can find the formula for you by name...

Last edited by PainterDude; September 2nd, 2009 at 10:59 AM.
PainterDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 02:16 PM   #13
Member

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 249
Dam right.....its a color
Who wouldnt want to use the right paint mix to match there bike... Not everyone lives in CA or wants to bring there bike to you .
__________________
ducatisonicboom
ducati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2009, 05:21 PM   #14
Member

No ducatis in the registry

 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 149
My customers are worldwide...... Keep lookin for that formula Hot Shot!!! I am givin permission by Dupont to obtain access to these formula's, if you go posting them all over the net, I may lose my access.... So do your own leg work & get your own access, I'm not going to do your job for you, if you can't find the formula, your customer can always go to someone who can....

Last edited by PainterDude; September 12th, 2009 at 05:26 PM.
PainterDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2009, 04:52 AM   #15
Senior Member

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

 
Boeing777's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Perth
Posts: 531
....fuck, PD, you are such a self serving shithead.

Zero points for helping someone out, cockrag!
__________________
''ALL THE OTHERS GO TO TEN...BUT THIS IS ONE LOUDER...IT GOES TO ELEVEN !
Boeing777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Remove Ads

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




Search tags for this page
ducati 916 red paint code
,
ducati anniversary red paint code
,
ducati red code
,
ducati red color code
,
ducati red colour code
,
ducati red paint
,

ducati red paint code

,

ppg 473.101

,
ppg paint code
,
ppg paint codes
Click on a term to search for related topics.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.