Ducati.org forum banner

won't start unless in neutral

9K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  greg328 
#1 ·
My 2007 1098 won't start unless it's in neutral. Side stand is up. Any thoughts on what is going on? It used to start with clutch engaged but I can't think of what we may have done to change that or when it even started occurring. Thanks.

Mary

#5 ·
The starter motor interlock is designed to allow starting the engine when the transmission is in neutral, with the clutch lever pulled or released, and the side stand up or down.

The engine can also be started when the transmission is in gear, with the clutch lever pulled and the side stand up.

#7 ·
While stationary, have the side stand up, pull the clutch, put the bike in gear and keep holding the clutch then put the side stand down. If the bike does not shut down there could be something up with the switch.

I think that would be the easiest way to test before doing bypass.

#8 ·
While stationary, have the side stand up, pull the clutch, put the bike in gear and keep holding the clutch then put the side stand down. If the bike does not shut down there could be something up with the switch.

I think that would be the easiest way to test before doing bypass.
Or if it dies whenever you put it in gear with the stand up. That's the more common failure with the switch.

And bypassing it is as easy as taking a paperclip and inserting it into the harness side of the connector into the positions that have wires in them.

#15 ·
This is happening to me too! Same bike, 2007 1098. I have a Starlane QS installed, and it uses the side stand connector as part of the engine kill to facilitate the clutch-less shifts. (So the side stand can be down and it won't kill the engine.)

I'll check out the clutch lever switch as well, gotta be it!

Greg
Austin TX

#16 ·
Update--just had a look at my clutch lever---turns out the pin on the underside of the lever that actuates the switch when lever is pulled, has cracked off. No wonder the clutch lever switch is not working!

Must have happened when I had a left-side low side last fall. ;-(

Gotta replace....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.