Ducati.org forum banner

1098 bottom end bites the dust.

4K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  strat10 
#1 ·
Started the bike to go ride, and heard a horrible noise from the motor. Shut it down and took it into my mechanic. Looks like the rod bearing crapped the bed. SO BUMMED! Brass bits in the oil.

After a bit of investigating, seems like maybe Fox Performance are the guys to repair the crank and rods? Just trying to figure out the best path forward here. I am not a mechanic. Maybe used motor, but dont want to run into the same thing again down the road. I LOVE my bike.

9000 miles, WTF! Ride it hard, but didn't expect this. Always serviced.

UGGG.......

#3 ·
Started the bike to go ride, and heard a horrible noise from the motor. Shut it down and took it into my mechanic. Looks like the rod bearing crapped the bed. SO BUMMED! Brass bits in the oil.

After a bit of investigating, seems like maybe Fox Performance are the guys to repair the crank and rods? Just trying to figure out the best path forward here. I am not a mechanic. Maybe used motor, but dont want to run into the same thing again down the road. I LOVE my bike.

UGGG.......

"New" engine on Craigslist in South Florida for $2200

#8 ·
Not that catastrophic. Mine blew on track and all I felt was a slight loss of thrust and big change in sound. Then again I suppose if I didn't stop right away that the engine could have grenaded itself...

Unlucky OP. Been there. But it doesn't have to be the end of your Duc

#7 ·
Do some more research. Plenty of thorough threads here about the 1098 conrod bearing dying, repair, and engine swap. Fox will fix your engine for roughly $900 assuming you can tear down and deliver yourself. Maintenance to have some else remove your engine will be $$$. If you want to beef up components to ensure this doesn't happen again, you're looking at another $1k. Swap with another 1098 and you've got slightly more around $2500 plus the risk of a repeat failure. Or you can swap with the more reliable 1198 plus exhaust (bigger exhaust ports, 1098 base and S exhausts won't fit) for around $3500. The latter is what I did. But as I said in the beginning, do more research so you can make an educated decision. Tons of info here

#9 ·
Thanks Random,
Ive read all the posts, talked to Fox, and searched all of ebay. I dont think that a used 1098 motor is the way to go. Cant really find any good 1198 motors. One on ebay for 4500.

Mechanic has the motor out, and cases split, so it looks like Fox Performance is the way for me to go. Im trying to decide weather or not I should do any Crank work while its there.

Im thinking this is the way to go at Fox Performance:

Crank journal repair $450
Crank balance 449
Rod repair $150
Con rod bearings $336
Arp con rod bolts $156
Flywheel lightning 100.00
Clutch venting 75.00
Stock repair total: 1716.00

Thanks

Brian

#11 ·

UGGG.......

I just talked to the guy from Craigslist and he said engine is 110% good and ready to go. If needed I could swing by one day when I'm over that way and take a look at it and let you know. Just inbox me and let me know what you are thinking.

#15 ·

UGGG.......

Yeah this is odd. "This one is ready to go! Out of a 2013 bike, like new, 3400 or little more miles on it". That's what he told me when I asked him of what year it was.

#20 ·
Well, motor got here safe. Took a bit longer than I had expected and the only damage was a busted bolt in the Clutch. So far, so good. Motor turns over, and looks in decent shape.

Starting the process of fitting the motor to the 1098 chassis. Looks like there are a few differences. Bottom end looks different , but all the mounting holes line up.

Changing timing belts, plugs and oil/filter.

ill update as I get more done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.