Course Dynamics Fuel Pump? - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 18th, 2017, 07:54 AM   #1

ducatis in the registry:
[1198]

Course Dynamics Fuel Pump?

anybody purchased the course dynamics fuel pump?

I'm trying to narrow down what is going on with my fueling, and looking at just replacing everything, fuel pump, lines, injectors. Wondering if anybody has used the CD Fuel Pump and if there are any thoughts on it....

the CD Fuel Pump Base is in the shopping cart too, just waiting for the ducati shop to open to pick up the relays as well.

As you can tell I have no idea what is going on so i'll just end up replacing everything haha

-Brandon
Knutsonbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old April 18th, 2017, 07:37 PM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[1198]

What is wrong with your bike? I would not do a blanket repair on my bike to attempt to fix a problem.
2005 Ducati 999
2010 Ducati 1198
2010 Harley Davidson Sportster Nightster (WIFE'S)
2009 Yamaha YZF-R6
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 (WIFE'S)
2008 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
1982 Kawasaki KZ440
pottebaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2017, 06:48 AM   #3

ducatis in the registry:
[1198]

She won't start, crashed back in August and have been rebuilding her. Has spark, will turn over with ether, but doesn't seem to be getting fuel. Fuel pump primes when you turn the key. Picked up new relays and did a quick clean on the injectors with some sea foam spray. Lines are all connected except one of the fuel lines, the plastic connector doesn't snap in place anymore. So tonight will be trying the new relays, if that doesn't work a new fuel pump, new base as well because metal is better than plastic of course . While I'm doing that I'll put in new lines since I'm there. If that fails I'll send the injectors off to be professionally cleaned.

All that being said, I still want to know if someone has used the CD fuel pump, or if I should buy the one direct from Ducati
Old April 19th, 2017, 08:59 AM   #4

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knutsonbm View Post
She won't start, crashed back in August and have been rebuilding her. Has spark, will turn over with ether, but doesn't seem to be getting fuel. Fuel pump primes when you turn the key. Picked up new relays and did a quick clean on the injectors with some sea foam spray. Lines are all connected except one of the fuel lines, the plastic connector doesn't snap in place anymore. So tonight will be trying the new relays, if that doesn't work a new fuel pump, new base as well because metal is better than plastic of course . While I'm doing that I'll put in new lines since I'm there. If that fails I'll send the injectors off to be professionally cleaned.

All that being said, I still want to know if someone has used the CD fuel pump, or if I should buy the one direct from Ducati
I personally have no issues with the standard plastic base and the connectors.

I also have no issues with the stock fuel pump.

You can find stock fuel pump, stock base, stock fuel filter (i would replace) as an entire unit used for cheap. I am not sure that is your problem anyhow, but if you were determined to replace the pump, -I- would just replace with a used OEM one. Why waste money?
2005 Honda CRF150F
Agr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2017, 09:57 AM   #5

ducatis in the registry:
[848 EVO]

When you turn the key on and fuel pump primes, can you see fuel swirling in the tank? That is usually a sign that the outlet from the pump has come loose or fallen off. You said you are getting spark but is it at the correct time? Is the motor turning over slow? Battery fully charged? Before you just start throwing parts at it I would troubleshoot the problem.
FallenHero_08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2017, 11:36 AM   #6

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenHero_08 View Post
When you turn the key on and fuel pump primes, can you see fuel swirling in the tank? That is usually a sign that the outlet from the pump has come loose or fallen off. You said you are getting spark but is it at the correct time? Is the motor turning over slow? Battery fully charged? Before you just start throwing parts at it I would troubleshoot the problem.
Yes good thought, I posted a video on youtube on this on my Sport 1000. If you see bubbles its the hose poppped off. Usually from the hose being non-ethanol resistant. replace that 2" piece of hose, new clamps (i like the clamps from Napa) and it works again.
2005 Honda CRF150F
Old April 19th, 2017, 05:37 PM   #7

ducatis in the registry:
[1198]

All very good points, and I appreciate the insight. Although it seems nobody has used the Cd fuel pump?
Old April 19th, 2017, 08:01 PM   #8

ducatis in the registry:
[1198]

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenHero_08 View Post

I didn't see fuel swirling before but I'm going to take a look now after replacing the relays (which are a bee-atch to get to by the way)....I'll see if she starts, if not I'll disassemble the tank and see if I can find anything obviously wrong. Battery says 12.6 volts (new and freshly charged), bike turns over like normal and will even pop off with starter fluid. Not exactly sure how to check if I'm getting spark at the correct time, but I'd assume so since she goes with ether....

I've also cleaned my injectors with some sea foam spray and sprayed it through the lines as well. Hopefully this does the trick, but if not a fuel pump is probably next....

I would like to clarify that I am stepping through this and not just replacing everything just yet, but trying to line up parts if needed, hence the question regarding corse dynamics pump kit.

Track days are here in the PNW and I'd rather put my beat up duc on the track than my thruxton.....it just wouldn't be as much fun, and I need to see if this ohlins front end and 30mm offset is the rave you all have led me to believe
Old April 19th, 2017, 08:55 PM   #9

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knutsonbm View Post
I didn't see fuel swirling before but I'm going to take a look now after replacing the relays (which are a bee-atch to get to by the way)....I'll see if she starts, if not I'll disassemble the tank and see if I can find anything obviously wrong. Battery says 12.6 volts (new and freshly charged), bike turns over like normal and will even pop off with starter fluid. Not exactly sure how to check if I'm getting spark at the correct time, but I'd assume so since she goes with ether....

I've also cleaned my injectors with some sea foam spray and sprayed it through the lines as well. Hopefully this does the trick, but if not a fuel pump is probably next....

I would like to clarify that I am stepping through this and not just replacing everything just yet, but trying to line up parts if needed, hence the question regarding corse dynamics pump kit.

Track days are here in the PNW and I'd rather put my beat up duc on the track than my thruxton.....it just wouldn't be as much fun, and I need to see if this ohlins front end and 30mm offset is the rave you all have led me to believe
this video shows it. with more fuel in the tank, you may just see bubbles rather than splatter going all over.

And i added 30mm to my 1098s and cant say it was a gigantic diff, but i heard it was. Eh, who knows.
2005 Honda CRF150F
Old April 20th, 2017, 11:44 PM   #10

ducatis in the registry:
[848 EVO]

I spent about a month going through my 1198 when it wouldnt start last summer. Finally rebuilt the starter and put a new spring around the sprag clutch cams and it fired right up. One thing that really helped was starting it with the dyno. I took several trys and strapping the bike down really tight to get it to get traction but before that I was looking at everything, once i knew it would run on its own I knew it was somewhere on the starting side of things. I am a motorcycle mechanic (Honda dealer) and everyone I tagged in was stumped as well. I talked to techs around denver at some of the best ducati shops in the country and tried so many things. Still not sure what really fixed it in the end, as both starter motors we used were spinning the same RPM and pulling similar amps. I would try to re-set throttle position sensor as well, that has fixed several friends ducs who had similar starting problems. You can download an app (android only) and connect to a OBD bluetooth module and use a Fiat connector.
FallenHero_08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:57 AM   #11

ducatis in the registry:
[1198]

I remember a problem where my fuel filter line came off and the bike would not start. The fix for it is a metal screw clamp. It would be worth checking before spending money.
2005 Ducati 999
2010 Ducati 1198
2010 Harley Davidson Sportster Nightster (WIFE'S)
2009 Yamaha YZF-R6
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 (WIFE'S)
2008 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
1982 Kawasaki KZ440
pottebaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:20 PM   #12

ducatis in the registry:
[1198]

Looks like I found my problem, fuel pump itself popped off the base, problem is now I can't get the assembly out, pump is still connected to the filter, but the filter is lodged in between the plastic structure inside the tank and the tank wall, can't get the base out far enough to get anything in to grab it and wedge it out, and the fill hole is too small and I can't get leverage to wedge it out with anything.....Name:  ImageUploadedByDucati.org Forum1492896044.439961.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  44.9 KB
Old Today, 02:21 PM   #13

ducatis in the registry:
[1198]

This is what happens when you make a Ducati do cart wheels
Old Today, 04:40 PM   #14

ducatis in the registry:
[1198]

Thanks to the folks at Ducati Redmond the pump is now out and put back in order, now to see if that was my only problemName:  ImageUploadedByDucati.org Forum1492904402.480104.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  63.9 KB
Old Today, 06:58 PM   #15

ducatis in the registry:
[1198]

Aaand she runs again! Just need new fuel line connectors, won't stay on....always something