1098 engine swap, options? - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By randomtask
  • 1 Post By 182 Racing
  • 1 Post By Agr0
  • 3 Post By trussdude
  • 1 Post By Jedclampet
  • 1 Post By Jedclampet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 17th, 2017, 10:53 AM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

1098 engine swap, options?

So my 1098 engine is toast, knocks so bad it barely runs.

I am going to look into rebuilding it but want to swap in a used engine in the meantime.

Going to shoot for another 1098 engine,
but my question is, can i use any year engine?

And more importantly can i use one out of a 1098 streetfighter? all the literature says engine and frame are the same, but pictures certainly show differences...
worrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old May 17th, 2017, 11:30 AM   #2

Funny

I have a 2012 1098 Streetfighter that developed a knock we diagnosed as a trans issue requiring a complete and costly tear down just to get to the part. I had asked the very question regarding engine swap and yes the frame will hold a 848, 1098 and 1198. I chose the 1198 and it required a mod to the headers particularly the front. The exhaust flange on the 1098R and 1198 are larger I found 1198 headers on ebay delivered for under $ 50 and the rear mated right up and in the case of my Streetfighter I had to cut the flange off of each pipe and weld the 1198 flange to my stock header. That was it the bike started right up and runs fine but could use a proper tune which I scheduled for next week. I started last Friday evening and by 12:00 Saturday the motor was out and by 1pm Sunday the 1198 was in place.
Had the welding done Wednesday and was out for a test ride by 5pm Wednesday. I would suggest extra care be taken to seal around the throttle bodies and airbox to air filter. Not a horrible job, hopefully in a months time I have a 1098 Streetfighter engine with 10,500 miles on her available for sale to offset my costs.
Jedclampet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2017, 11:36 AM   #3

so you used an 1198 out of a non streetfighter? did you need the ecu?
Old May 17th, 2017, 08:22 PM   #4

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Any 1098/1198/848 motor will fit in the frame. 1098R=1198=larger headers than the 1098. You can use the same ECU but without a tune won't run well. I have an 1198 motor in my 1098 base. Already had a Microtec ECU so only needed an exhaust and tune.

I think SF vs 1x98 has a different tune, maybe different cam profiles, but otherwise the same engine
Tric likes this.
randomtask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2017, 08:54 PM   #5

Street fighter 1098 motor and 1098 super bike are the same motor however the cases are a painted different on some of the models. The wire harness are routed and mounted different on the street fighter for asthetic purposes as far as I know. I have begun to explore this option because I have fallen hard for my new to me street fighter S and plan on keeping it for the long run. I too would also like to get my motor built when I have some extra money to spend. Tchase just got his 848 motor blue printed by duc shop and as far as I know has been satisfied. I have no personal experience with mark Sutton of duc shop but hear only great things in reference to his work in the racing world. I hope this helps, please keep us informed on your progress.
Tric likes this.

182 Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2017, 01:44 AM   #6

I will post updates, Got a 1098 streetfighter engine on its way now
Old May 18th, 2017, 04:06 PM   #7

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

I know he is talking about straight motor swap, but with the 1198, they added DTC and Ducati QS so to leverage it, I think you need to do some slight mods to the wiring harness, add the appropriate sensor and for DTC add those as well. IF i had an 1198 engine in my 1098S, I'd definitely do the rest to get DTC.
Tric likes this.
2005 Honda CRF150F
Agr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2017, 04:59 PM   #8

I just put an 1198 engine in my 996

I'll fire it up this weekend when my Microtec ECU arives

doorsdude, Joeii and randomtask like this.
trussdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2017, 07:14 PM   #9

1098 Streetfighter S has DTC stock and QS plug and play.

182 Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 06:23 AM   #10

1198 into 1098 Streetfighter

It did start right up with my tuned factory electronics and ran okay not horrible but could definitely use a tune which is scheduled for next week. Another note with regards to the electronics is the harness coming from the alternator did not match seems the 1198 must use a different rectifier arrangement. No matter I was switching the flywheel ( mine was lightened) and cover anyway easily fixed. You should also pick up 10 lbs or more of torque and the same for HP.
Old May 19th, 2017, 06:24 AM   #11

Fuuny thing too no one can tell from looking at it, you can mess with other 1098's.
Tric likes this.
Old May 20th, 2017, 12:08 PM   #12

ducatis in the registry:
[1198]

I was slightly leary when this was happening, as it was my engine that Jedclampet (Peter) had bought. However, he is correct. It was literally done in a weekend, you can take off your stator cover, one of the cooling jacket unions off your old streetfighter engine and swap it over and then modify the exhaust flanges & move your oil temp sensor and you're good to go initially. Then get the tune and such thats already been stated and you're well on your way.

The only other recommendation that I think would be pertinent would be a bigger exhaust of some sort. We haven't gotten the results back from the dyno of what Peter is getting with the engine having his termi slip-ons and 1098 stock headers, but I am rather curious. The last tune I had on it had a slightly larger full akra EVO3 system. The reason I say this is for some power and for that thump that I love, I absolutely loved this engine due to the blueprint Mark did on it as Ducshop. It had a different sound all together and honestly, the R engine that I have now does not sound as good at all. Its quite dissatisfying to be honest. So, this winter it will be getting blueprinted more then likely. But yes, very simple mod and congrats again Peter and sorry OP, super sucks but its well worth it to get the 1198 engine.
Old May 24th, 2017, 09:48 AM   #13

ducatista4life Has been know to deliver

Yes I bought ducatista4life which he indeed delivered. Nick has been a great source of info as well. A word of advice when buying engines yes we are all looking for low mileage and good documentation but also be very clear in what is included in the new engine deal as well as what parts you may need. Such as throttle bodies Nick had them included but me being a rookie at this could have been caught out. Make notes as best you can on the parts you'll need and ask questions. I got very lucky with the engine and more importantly with Nick he included many extras and was assessable to me for questions.
Thanks again.
Tric likes this.