Fork problem - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 18th, 2017, 09:41 PM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

Fork problem

I have a 2007 1098 that I bought used a couple months ago. The bike has Showa forks and shock. I was trying to set sag on it and noticed the when I lift the front on the bike, it lefts to the top of the stroke and just stays there, doesn't go back down. The bike has 5000 miles on it. Previous owner said he had the forks rebuilt before it got sold to me. Obviously I don't know if he really did.
I thought maybe the forks weren't aligned correctly in the triples or the axle maybe was not installed straight. I loosened everything up and torqued the triple clamps to spec hoping the issue would go away, but no dice. Do they just need a rebuild? Thoughts?
Jkgts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old June 21st, 2017, 09:04 PM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgts1 View Post
I have a 2007 1098 that I bought used a couple months ago. The bike has Showa forks and shock. I was trying to set sag on it and noticed the when I lift the front on the bike, it lefts to the top of the stroke and just stays there, doesn't go back down. The bike has 5000 miles on it. Previous owner said he had the forks rebuilt before it got sold to me. Obviously I don't know if he really did.
I thought maybe the forks weren't aligned correctly in the triples or the axle maybe was not installed straight. I loosened everything up and torqued the triple clamps to spec hoping the issue would go away, but no dice. Do they just need a rebuild? Thoughts?

5000 street miles is a lot for a complete rebuild. Fluid change sure based on age, but that's all. Sounds fishy to me.

You bought it a couple months ago, ridden since? Issues with the fork previously?

Did you/he maybe max out the compression damping instead of taking it all out?

Did you follow the manual's procedure for installing the front wheel /axle?

Possibly the triples are damaged; see any scratches?

Now I'm reaching, but maybe too much or wrong fluid type? Worst case the compression valve is jacked.

I'd say if you're confident in doing a proper rebuild after checking everything else, do it. Just to make sure it was installed correctly and the right fluid gets in there. Otherwise remove the forks and take them to a shop, triples too, and make sure they're straight.
randomtask is offline   Reply With Quote