Ducati.org forum banner

Bike will not start. Please help me out

36K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  Wa11er98S 
#1 ·
Tried to start my ducati 848 today but it wouldnt start, I used it some days ago but it ran quite bad. Had some engine stops and it was hard to start, felt weak.

The fuel that have been in the tank is quite old, the bike have been in the garage for about 2 years.

I unscrewed the fuel pump from the tank and emptied all the old fuel and put some new fuel and a bit of fuel injection cleaning.

The batteri is currently being charged but i doubt that it is the problem, the dash shows 12.1v.

When I turn on the ignition I can here the fuel pump starting, and when I push the start button the engine doesn't start.

Can anybody give me some tips and tricks on this.

#2 ·
Does it crank? Are you getting spark? We need more info. It also won't start if you're not in neutral and the kickstand is down. Alternately, the kickstand sensor has been known to fail and you won't be able to start even with it up and in neutral.

#3 ·
My English is not that good so a youtubed it to find a bike with the same symptoms :)

bike wont start - YouTube

It tries to start the same way as the bike on the video, but nothing happens.

Have also tried to get it running by pushing it and release the clutch with a gear in.

Could I have mixed to much of the injection cleaning in the fuel?

#4 ·
usual things...

1. on/off switch on right handlebar...check
2. turn key to on
3. neutral
4. clutch in
5. kick stand up
6. push start

post link to youtube URL that has the noise it makes so others can hear...but if it is trying to start but not turning over then the problem is "probably" the kick stand switch. You have 2 options:

1. remove fairing, unplug kick stand switch from main wiring loom, short the 2 pins towards the loom and try to start again...if it works, drive to shop and have them check/replace the kick stand switch.
2. call shop, have them pick up bike in van and get them to repair.

Good luck

#7 ·
Just dumping the tank and filling it with new fuel won't deal with gunk. Anything around here that sets even one winter is plagued with tarnish/gunk.

Every year I have to work on the Briggs lawnmower from the goo. The dirtbikes sit about 6 months and the petcock is clogged full of gunk, let alone the carbs. The only thing a fresh tank of gas does is get rid of the water on the bottom of the tank.

Go through it more thoroughly if it sat there with fuel in it and no HET for 2 years. You pulled the pump, but didn't dive into it. Just spinning doesn't mean it's getting anything.

#8 ·
This may not be it...
But you said you got it started by pushing...

Check the Starter relay power connection.

You are seeing 12.1v so that is good.
When you push the start button do you hear a click but nothing happens?

Pull the left side and follow the large Positive down the front of the battery.
Pulle the boot up the cable and make sure you have a good connection and no corrosion.

Everything could look in place until you start pulling off covers.
If the nut is loose, put it back on with a thick coat of Locktite.

Pictures are always good.

#13 ·
The batteri showed 13,1.

I will try again with the power of my car tomorrow

Lots of thanks for all the fast replys.

Here is a video from when I tried to start it:

WP_20120423_170044Z_2.mp4 - YouTube
That didn't sound like an batt issue, rather a fueling issue...sounded too strong of a crank to be a batt issue.

The other day mine started hard due to a low battery- but DIDN'T sound like that. The crank was inconsistant- not like when you just tried yours.

#12 ·
848's are known to have battery issues. I always keep mine on a tender-even when riding it daily, it goes on a tender at night.

Not sure if they are the same, but my ZX6R track bike would not start one time...it would crank and crank, but not actually start. Replaced the battery and it started right up. Although it would crank, the battery did not have enough juice to give it the final kick it needed.

For future reference, always add some sort of fuel stabilizer while storing your bike. I work out of country for 3 months at a time and even then I add fuel stabilizer to all my bikes and four wheeler (along with keeping them on battery tenders). Never have issues starting them when I get back home.

#18 ·
Definitely a fuel/spark issue. Not battery.

Check/replace plugs

The heavy fuel smell is good, at least you know your injectors are supplying fuel, so they aren't gunked up too bad.

Seems like its fouled plugs...once you do get a spark expect a pop and backfire. Everytime the bike cranks, your injectors are squirting small amounts of fuel. I imagine you have quite a bit of fuel built up by now, if you have been cranking it and opening the throttle a lot.

#25 ·
Sounds like the hose connecting your fuel pump has come off.

Take your tank off, flip it over, remove the fuel pump and make sure both ends of the hose have legit tighten able hose clamps on the hoses.

The hose clamps that are supplied from Ducati are garbage and often times fail allowing the hose to disconnect. After the hose pops off, the bike Wil crank for days, but with no fuel it will never start.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.