ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts (http://www.ducati.org/forums/)
-   848 (http://www.ducati.org/forums/848/)
-   -   Ran out of gas today. Seriously!? (http://www.ducati.org/forums/848/50073-ran-out-gas-today-seriously.html)

ANORXIC'51 March 24th, 2014 07:33 AM

It's sputtered and shut down on me as I coasted into the gas station parking lot at 126 miles on the trip reset. Middle of nowhere, Wisconsin after a full day of riding....still over 3 hrs from home. Pushed it to one of the 4 available pumps.

I'd NEVER been so happy to have made it to a little po-dunk town with a sub-400 citizen population before, because one of those 400 people saved my day by deciding a few years ago that gas station that town would be a wise business investment. :-)

WiscoG8 March 24th, 2014 07:34 AM

I fill up around 100 miles. Just to be safe, as Random said, I don't trust the gas light even if it works.

Tchase March 24th, 2014 08:19 AM

I'm probably jinxing myself, but light comes on I get gas. I think the farthest went after the light came was 10 miles before finding a station. So far the light has not let me down, but I have hard time believing the tank holds over 4 gallons. When my light comes on I fill up and it never gets 2 gallons in it...

Andrew848 March 24th, 2014 08:27 AM

Same for me, I usually fill up in between 90-100 and obviously pushed it too far.

It actually couldn't have worked out better though. I coasted off the fwy and only had to push Big Thunder about 100 yards. Then I saw a small group of people gathered in this small strip mall and one dude standing next to his Jeep lifted up a gas can and pointed to it. I then nodded yes and headed over to him. I forced cash on him which he refused but I insisted. Told him he had no idea how much trouble he saved me. It could've been much worse.

jwm2k3 March 24th, 2014 10:55 AM

I put complete and total faith in the low fuel light....never reset tripmeter, never even keep track of fuel mileage. Light comes on....I look for gas. Ain't that how it's supposed to be?

Random155 March 25th, 2014 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwm2k3 (Post 742111)
I put complete and total faith in the low fuel light....never reset tripmeter, never even keep track of fuel mileage. Light comes on....I look for gas. Ain't that how it's supposed to be?

Thats how its supposed to be... but Ive heard stories of people's gas lights coming on and then a minute later... out of fuel. I think the furthest I've driven with the light is about 15-20miles... Not by choice of course... sweating the whole time.

TheWooginator March 25th, 2014 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwm2k3 (Post 742111)

If only that was the case. The thermistor in the fuel pump assembly is notorious in our bikes. They are fairly cheap to replace, but it's still best just to track your mileage and get a bigger gas tank if you can swing the cheddar.