Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 848

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 11th, 2013, 10:26 PM   #1

ducatis in the registry:
[848 EVO]

3200 miles on 2011 848 evo. Should I change the timing belts?

Just wondering if I should worry about these timing belts at 3200 miles. The dealer said every 7500 miles, but also heard every two years regardless of mileage.
rhuskuliak is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old April 11th, 2013, 10:34 PM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Change at miles or years-whatever comes first

Err on the side of caution
dmnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2013, 11:07 PM   #3

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Here is the Routine Maintenance Table for the 1098. It's probably the same for the 848.
Attached Images

Old April 12th, 2013, 12:19 AM   #4

ducatis in the registry:
[848 EVO]

I don't have a shop manual, but it can't be too hard to do in a home garage can it? Just wondering because my 2nd maintenance visit is coming up and like to save shop fees here and there.
Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2013, 05:44 AM   #5

ducatis in the registry:
[848 EVO]

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuskuliak View Post
Just wondering if I should worry about these timing belts at 3200 miles. The dealer said every 7500 miles, but also heard every two years regardless of mileage.
Replace the timing belts every two years, regardless of mileage, they dry up and crack, specially in warm weather.

• 2011 Ducati 848 Evo

techt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2013, 11:26 AM   #6

No ducatis in the registry

I'd pull the covers and check them out personally, replace if needed (more likely if in hot / dry climate). I live in WA (wet, not hot and pretty humid), belts seem to last forever so I only replace at around recomended miles not time.
848EV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2013, 01:25 PM   #7
Banned

ducatis in the registry:
[749 R]
[848]

The new kevlar belts last forever, literally. I've seen Duc's with 20k + miles on them with the original belts and they're perfect. These are the same belts used in automobile timing systems and those vehicles run 100's of thousands of miles before needing any service. Plus the desmodromic valve actuation is easier on the belts then automobiles with spring valve return.

Most Ducati owners who do their own maintenance run 6k valve checks and 12k belt changes. If you go over 4 years without being able to put 12k on the bike, then change the belts. But 2 years is absolutely nothing for those belts, they usually come off looking brand new at 12k miles. The last bike I did was a buddies 1098 and it had 14k on the clock, the damn logo's on the belts were still present! I could have packaged them up and sold them online as new and nobody would have been the wiser.

Anyway @ 3200 miles, your bike hasn't even finished breaking in really. Valves are still probably tight and the belts most likely look brand new. I wouldn't even think about touching them until 12k and/or 4 years.

Ohh and that Ducati service table, saying to change the oil at 7500 miles?!?!?! WTF??!?! Thats WAY off base. Change the oil at 2,500 - 3,000 miles if you want your motor to last.
outhouse likes this.

Last edited by tye1138; April 12th, 2013 at 01:28 PM.
tye1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2013, 02:28 PM   #8

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Yep Tye, you are right about the oil service. I drop my oil every 3000 klms. My mechanic recons every 6000 klms. Piece of mind for me.

As for letting the belts run over the precribed period. Well, I suppose it depends on how hard you run the bike and how much of a gambler you are.
Old April 12th, 2013, 02:58 PM   #9

No ducatis in the registry

How much is a new belt? Can't imagine its enough to worth taking the risk and blowing up the engine potentially.
ducducgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2013, 03:38 PM   #10

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
I don't have a shop manual, but it can't be too hard to do in a home garage can it? Just wondering because my 2nd maintenance visit is coming up and like to save shop fees here and there.
It's not super difficult but you do have to know what you're doing. You have to be able to keep the cams in time when changing the belts and then set their tension to the right resonance +/-5 Hz once they're on. All that requires special tools and know-how.
1995 Mustang (RIP)
2009 Nismo 370z
Duc_L_over_V is offline   Reply With Quote