848 Evo Corse vs 899 Panigale - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 848

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 9th, 2013, 02:46 PM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

848 Evo Corse vs 899 Panigale

Hey everyone, I've been lurking for a long time and haven't posted much.

I was going to buy a 2013 848 EVO Corse last year but I never did but I have another opportunity to get a new bike and I think I'll be pulling the trigger this time.

I've wanted a Ducati for years and it's awesome I'm able to get it now. I'm coming from an R6. My bike will be for fun on the streets, roads and some track days... mostly on the street though.

The 899 was never on my radar, obviously...

Other than the obvious DSSA and frame, what do you guys think of the 2 bikes? I love the Corse and all its goodies.

My dealer has both and the price is only $500 difference.

I'm just hoping for some general advice. I haven't dug much into the 899 yet.
Dvenci is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old December 9th, 2013, 03:01 PM   #2

man, you have just opened an enormous can of worms...

I recommend you go have a read of this thread, which points out differences between the 899 and just about every competitor:

899 Panigale or Triumph Daytona 675R

There are so many pro's and con's to both bikes, your best bet is to just ride both and see which you prefer. A few points though:

1) As has been said everywhere, the 899 is more street-oriented than any of its predecessors, which will suit you if the majority of your riding is on the street (obviously). This isn't to say it isn't entirely competent on the track, just that the track is not what it has been designed for.

2) The 848 obviously has a lot more going for it in terms of aftermarket parts at the moment, and imho there isn't a better livery going around than the 848 Corse SE.

3) However, all of the "goodies" on the 848 Corse come stock on the 899, with the 899 running EBC and an updated electronics package in addition.

The 899 is, broadly, a "better" bike than the 848 Evo, and even the 848 Corse, hence the price-tag. Which is the better bike for you, though - you really need to ride both and see for yourself. I would see if you can find an 848 Corse with Termi/Akra slipons, and compare it to an 899 with Termi slips. This will give you a fair idea of both bikes in a configuration you're likely to end up with.

Just my 2c

p.s. there should be a bigger $ diff between the two bikes by now. what OTD price are you seeing on both bikes??
chicken_stripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2013, 03:05 PM   #3

I figured it was opening a huge can of worms lol

All your points make total sense... What particularly about the Evo Corse makes it not a great bike on the street?

The Corse is listed at $16,500 and the 899 is $16,000? I'm in Canada... I would have thought the 899 would be more expensive??
Old December 9th, 2013, 03:22 PM   #4

Yeah, those prices make no sense at all. The 899 should absolutely be more expensive, more like $1000 or so more. Maybe someone from Canada will be able to chime in on why this is not the case? Maybe they're trading on the relative rarity of the 848 Corse SE? What does the stock 848 EVO go for in Canada?

Anyway, re. your second question, the 848 has more aggressive ergo's than the 899. It's not a *terrible* street bike (there are threads on here of guys using it as a commuter!), but compared to the 899 it's not in the same league. Also, the different exhaust configurations will mean you get hot in different places, especially with the stock exhausts. This is why I suggest finding bikes with slipons (at least) already fitted - they (in conjunction with a new ECU/tune) make a huge difference to how quickly the bike heats up, and will give you a more accurate idea of how the bikes will feel long term (assuming you're pretty likely to fit these at some point).

I have an 848 Corse myself, and seeing the 899, I'm pretty much torn between the two. The 899 exhaust config looks better to me, but the livery of the 848 Corse is almost unbeatable. With Termi slips and a flashed ECU, the 848 Corse is a brilliant bike, but I have no doubt the 899 would be similarly awesome.

I can only suggest you get a ride on both and see for yourself.
Old December 9th, 2013, 04:06 PM   #5

That is a high price for the corse, that may be because if your demographic.

Aesthetically, what bike looks better to you?

Being the first year of the 899, you may incounter a bigger headache with some bugs being worked out vs the corse being around for a while and does perform well.

Aftermarket parts are much more vast on the corse if you plan to mod it, which you should.

Riding them both should pretty much make your decision for you, I would guess .

The corse is a 13' right? That bike has a lot of bells and whistles and stunning to look at.
Rdwngs4402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2013, 04:46 PM   #6

Their website says the 2013 Corse is $16,500 and the 899 is $16,900, so he probably misspoke about the price of the 899.

I could tell right away that the Corse had a more aggressive riding position. Aesthetically, I THINK I like the looks of the Evo. The frame and SSSA make it look like a Ducati, to me. And that is just my opinion. I'm not trying to piss anyone off who disagrees.

The quick shifter and traction control that made the Corse appeal to me are standard on the 899, right?

Again, I'm not looking to get flamed... but in all honesty, I'm buying this bike because I want it for my own reasons. I think Ducatis are a beautiful machine and it makes me proud as an italian. I figured until I can get a Ferrari, this is my piece of italian machinery lol. I have a new Camaro for nice days in the spring and summer. I have a F150 as my everyday truck. This bike would be for weekends and for fun.

No commuting. No long trips. No passengers. The only thing bothering me about the Corse is that it could be less comfortable than the 899... but again, will I be on it long enough to notice the comfort issue? Not sure.

I know it only makes sense to ride them both but we have snow and freezing cold weather here in Ontario... At the moment, I'm basing my choice on other factors.
sergykal likes this.
Old December 9th, 2013, 06:14 PM   #7

What are you ridding now ?
blablac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2013, 06:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvenci View Post
Their website says the 2013 Corse is $16,500 and the 899 is $16,900, so he probably misspoke about the price of the 899.

I could tell right away that the Corse had a more aggressive riding position. Aesthetically, I THINK I like the looks of the Evo. The frame and SSSA make it look like a Ducati, to me. And that is just my opinion. I'm not trying to piss anyone off who disagrees.

The quick shifter and traction control that made the Corse appeal to me are standard on the 899, right?

Again, I'm not looking to get flamed... but in all honesty, I'm buying this bike because I want it for my own reasons. I think Ducatis are a beautiful machine and it makes me proud as an italian. I figured until I can get a Ferrari, this is my piece of italian machinery lol. I have a new Camaro for nice days in the spring and summer. I have a F150 as my everyday truck. This bike would be for weekends and for fun.

No commuting. No long trips. No passengers. The only thing bothering me about the Corse is that it could be less comfortable than the 899... but again, will I be on it long enough to notice the comfort issue? Not sure.

I know it only makes sense to ride them both but we have snow and freezing cold weather here in Ontario... At the moment, I'm basing my choice on other factors.
The Corse *will* be less comfortable than the 899 initially, but you will grow accustomed to it. after 4000km my back is stronger than it ever has been - your body just responds and your core will strengthen naturally - there is only so much time you can spend with all your weight on your wrists.

I guess with your location, it makes testing them out pretty tough. At the end of the day, you wont be disappointed with either bike I dont think - the Corse is a great bike, and the reviews of the 899 are more positive than the 848 Evo, so I wouldn't worry about getting it wrong. I guess if you cant test ride them, go with the one that appeals to you most.
Old December 9th, 2013, 07:49 PM   #9
Wil

The 899 MSRP's in Canada for $15,995 with the Arctic Silk being $16,295...this is right from Ducati Canada's website. The 848 EVO Corse was around $17,500 when it came out for 2013. As it's now an older model, They seem to be going for around $16,000 for a no mileage bike. Personally.....I'd get the 899.
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2013, 03:31 AM   #10

ducatis in the registry:
[848 EVO]

I was up at GP Bikes yesterday in Ontario and I took a good look at the 899 price was 17K for the white...I find that it doesn't have that sex appeal as much as the previous generation...it looks front heavy to me but if I had to buy a Panigale then I would opt for the 1199S for a few more dollars over the 899...I absolutely love the SSSA so that killed it for me on the 899

Last edited by Sinister; December 10th, 2013 at 03:35 AM.
Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2013, 03:36 AM   #11

ducatis in the registry:
[848 EVO]

Here is a pic of the 899 & my bike for reference...I find that the 848 just looks more refined & stronger with the trellis frame & more proportionate in all areas...just my opinion!
Attached Images

Picklesp, Wil and techt like this.

Last edited by Sinister; December 10th, 2013 at 03:40 AM.
Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2013, 08:01 AM   #12
Wil

I do agree that your Corse with the Termi's looks better than the 899.
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2013, 08:04 AM   #13

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

In all honestly I'd go with the 848 over the 899, or an 1199 over either.

Is the 899 "better" than the 848? Probably, but not by enough IMO. Is the 1199 better than the 899? Hell yeah, not even close!
sergykal likes this.
2009 Nismo 370z
2004 Grand Cherokee (4" lift, 3.73, 32" tires, 1.25" spacers, .030 overbore, stage II head, Comp Cam, Racetech forged 9.5:1, CAI, header, Flowmaster 40, auxiliary LEDs)
1995 Mustang (RIP)
Duc_L_over_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2013, 08:27 AM   #14

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

Just another comparison to sway you onto an 848...

Good luck with the decision!
techt likes this.

Last edited by ANORXIC'51; December 10th, 2013 at 09:09 AM.
ANORXIC'51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2013, 08:57 AM   #15

ducatis in the registry:
[848 EVO]

Love my 848 EVO!

Name:  ImageUploadedByDucati.org Forum1386694576.132607.jpg
Views: 8929
Size:  104.7 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByDucati.org Forum1386694608.515273.jpg
Views: 8382
Size:  168.4 KB

And here's one for ALL Ducati lovers: