Ducati.org forum banner

999R stalling issues

9K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  La Rossa 
#1 ·
Sorry if it got to this point but I can use some help here. I purchased a 06 999R and since i've got it, it had this once in a while cut off issue usually at the traffic light. Changed the exhaust to a full Zard and added a PCIII, remapped to fit the bike, since they don't make one for a R, and the bike is litterally a raped ape! But yet, it still does it, sometimes when approaching the traffic light as I pull the clutch, sometimes sitting at the light in neutral. Please don't tell me is the traffic light! Any way, it idles at 1250-1300 rpm, since the cam is soo steep the fuel mixture needs to be fat at the bottom and lean at the top, but we changed the bottom numbers all the way to 3500 rpm and nothing, it still does it. I've even disconnected the kickstand switch, just in case, nope, that didn't do it neither! Just wondering if is something anyone has ever gone thru with the 999R before we go back and start messing with the numbers again. I'm getting ready to see if the sliders work off a cliff!
I'd appreciate any imput! Thanks!

#2 ·
Sorry if it got to this point but I can use some help here. I purchased a 06 999R and since i've got it, it had this once in a while cut off issue usually at the traffic light. Changed the exhaust to a full Zard and added a PCIII, remapped to fit the bike, since they don't make one for a R, and the bike is litterally a raped ape! But yet, it still does it, sometimes when approaching the traffic light as I pull the clutch, sometimes sitting at the light in neutral. Please don't tell me is the traffic light! Any way, it idles at 1250-1300 rpm, since the cam is soo steep the fuel mixture needs to be fat at the bottom and lean at the top, but we changed the bottom numbers all the way to 3500 rpm and nothing, it still does it. I've even disconnected the kickstand switch, just in case, nope, that didn't do it neither! Just wondering if is something anyone has ever gone thru with the 999R before we go back and start messing with the numbers again. I'm getting ready to see if the sliders work off a cliff!
I'd appreciate any imput! Thanks!
It's a known issue. I had the same and but my idle was under 1000 rpm. Had the dealer raise it and the issue went away.

#4 ·
Do you have a lightened flywheel on it? I had that issue with my 748 and had to raise RPM to fix it. It's the nature of the beast with a lightened flywheel so it's not necessarily an "electrical" issue.
I don't know if the R has a lighter flywheel, I've got it brand new an I didn't change any internals at all.

#6 ·
La Rossa,

What are your actual CO % levels at idle? ... and have you confirmed that the cylinders are in balance?

I am not sure how the R cams would have any other effect but my 999S occasionally stalled until I raised the CO% above 4%. Both are hovering around 4.5%-4-7% and it has stopped stalling. My idle is below 1200 rpm but it still idles solidly.

Good luck.

#7 ·
La Rossa,

What are your actual CO % levels at idle? ... and have you confirmed that the cylinders are in balance?

I am not sure how the R cams would have any other effect but my 999S occasionally stalled until I raised the CO% above 4%. Both are hovering around 4.5%-4-7% and it has stopped stalling. My idle is below 1200 rpm but it still idles solidly.

Good luck.
Yep that's not a bad idea sync the throttle bodies.

#8 ·
I was at the shop the whole afternoon and yes, the TB were perfectly in sync and the CO was between 4.5 and 5 and it was running at 1250 when I was getting the major stalling so we richened the mixture up to 2500 rpm and nothing, it was doing the same thing, so we leaned it back and raised the idle, wich is going to have to be lowered eventually as the cam brakes in; any way, I rode it home between 1400 and 1500 rpm and it seems to be ok, I'm aware that the idle should be lower but with almost 13:1 compression and running 93 octanes chances are it could affect it. Is it really 93? Any way, time will tell. Thanks for the help guys!
I'm gonna try with a tank of Cam2 100 octane and see if it reacts to it.

#9 ·
I was at the shop the whole afternoon and yes, the TB were perfectly in sync and the CO was between 4.5 and 5 and it was running at 1250 when I was getting the major stalling so we richened the mixture up to 2500 rpm and nothing, it was doing the same thing, so we leaned it back and raised the idle, wich is going to have to be lowered eventually as the cam brakes in; any way, I rode it home between 1400 and 1500 rpm and it seems to be ok, I'm aware that the idle should be lower but with almost 13:1 compression and running 93 octanes chances are it could affect it. Is it really 93? Any way, time will tell. Thanks for the help guys!
I'm gonna try with a tank of Cam2 100 octane and see if it reacts to it.
Do you have a power commandor. I was at my local ducati dealer last week and the head tech told me and a 1098 owner to stay way from that because he has seen some faluires on the ducatis.

#10 ·
No, that was not the case; it was doing that from the get go, even before I installed the PC and the full Zard.
It seems OK now but I had to set the idle at 1500.

#11 ·
1500 is perfectly fine mate.

We use to run our race bikes a little higher, so you don´t have to worry about them dying on the paddock stand while you dress up.

Does no real harm and 1500 sounds perfectly fine with me.

by the way, my 999R did that too, but the idle was really low at between 800-1000 rpm.

It´s all good with yours.

#12 ·
1500 is perfectly fine mate.

We use to run our race bikes a little higher, so you don´t have to worry about them dying on the paddock stand while you dress up.

Does no real harm and 1500 sounds perfectly fine with me.

by the way, my 999R did that too, but the idle was really low at between 800-1000 rpm.

It´s all good with yours.
That's good to know!
Thanks!

#14 ·
Is the weather HOT when you have the stalling issue?? Reason is, that the 999 ECU remaps to way rich when the motor is running hot,,,, Same thing happened to a friends 999, they reset something at the dealer & hasn't done it since....

It would do it in the morning at 60 degrees with the engine running at 130 to a 80 degrees day running at 190. No specific time, heat, day that I know of!
Now is idling at 1500 when is warm and it seems to be fine but as soon as you start it, it runs 2000 rpm cold.
At 6:30 am with full open zard, is quite of tune!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.