Remember me
Login  |   Register
Old October 15th, 2010, 01:07 PM   #1

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

Send a message via Yahoo to pphan13
Motorcycle Trailer layout ideas and pics

Alright, we've got pics on here about everything from bikes to girls, lets see some pics of layouts for enclosed trailers. Looking to buy an enclosed trailer to haul the bikes and wanted to see how everyone's got their trailer set up. Also what's the best recommendation on layout for hauling 3 bikes. Looking at either a 6x12 v-nose or a 7x10 v-nose. What do you guys think would be best for hauling 3 bikes. I'm thinking that wider might be better.

Last edited by pphan13; October 15th, 2010 at 01:10 PM.
pphan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old October 15th, 2010, 01:41 PM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[Streetfighter S]

What do you propose to pull it with? That influences size as well.
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 01:47 PM   #3

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

F-150. I've got no issue pulling a 6x12. Can't imagine a 7x10 being that much different, just 6 more inches on either side. 7x10 is actually less in square footage by 2 sq ft.
Old October 15th, 2010, 01:53 PM   #4

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

+1 I'm interested in seeing this thread as well... I'm considering a trailer next year myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimacsays View Post
I would have just stood up on the seat, shaken the turd out of my Speed-O, careful not to get it on my flip-flop, and pulled my backwords cap off to clear the sweat off my brow. Then off to the beach like it never happend.
bumble_bee1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 02:16 PM   #5

No ducatis in the registry

I bought an extended van to haul 3 bikes. Ever since my 1098 almost fell out of the trailer because of a failed strap. Never again I would trailer my bike out in the open. I would like to see this set up of yours when completed.
Snowleopard8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 02:16 PM   #6

ducatis in the registry:
[Streetfighter S]

I'd go with a 7 footer. When we had the 7X16 race trailer, I pulled it with an E-150. You'll want to use trailer brakes, though. If you have the tow package, all of the brake wiring is in place, and you just connect a controller to the piece of harness that comes with the truck and plug it in under the dash.

Most states require brakes on trailers weighing more than 2500 pounds gross.
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 03:37 PM   #7

ducatis in the registry:
[748 R]

Have front wheel stands so that you can put the bike in the trailer and then organise the tie downs. Similar to what is in this article http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...r-tie-down.htm Use two sets of tie downs per bike (in case one set fails or is fitted incorrectly - it happens), one for the rear wheel and one at the front end with the rear tyre tie down being the primary and the front a back up. Try not to load the front suspension or use the Canyon Dancer bar tie downs (they can break clip-ons, wreck grips and, believe it or not, distort frames). Have multiple trailer attachment points for the tie downs as bike wheel bases and locations where tie downs can be fixed vary from bike to bike (not all sports bike can use the rear wheel tie downs as either the mudguard or the exhaust pipe can get in the way).

Allow provisions for fuel, tools, spare tyres, leathers, chairs and any other creature comforts. Mesh on the walls so that things can be occy strapped securely.

finally, have the trailer as low as possible and the ramp as long as possible. This makes it easier to push the bike on and off plus reduces the likelihood of scraping the bottom of the fairing when transitioning from ramp to trailer.
emmevi125s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 03:42 PM   #8

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowleopard8 View Post
I bought an extended van to haul 3 bikes. Ever since my 1098 almost fell out of the trailer because of a failed strap. Never again I would trailer my bike out in the open. I would like to see this set up of yours when completed.
Snow, I've had the same concern about bike following over. I use the baxley chock though which is awesome because it keeps the bike upright. I'm trying to decide on getting 2 more of those or going with the pitbull trailer restraints which you don't load the suspensions at all. Only draw back is that you have to get a different adapter for different bikes. But then again, these will be for my bike and not someone else's so that doesn't really matter. And I was looking at the e-track system which is pretty damn awesome compared to D rings, I've seen them on a trailer before.
Old October 15th, 2010, 03:54 PM   #9

No ducatis in the registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by pphan13 View Post
Snow, I've had the same concern about bike following over. I use the baxley chock though which is awesome because it keeps the bike upright. I'm trying to decide on getting 2 more of those or going with the pitbull trailer restraints which you don't load the suspensions at all. Only draw back is that you have to get a different adapter for different bikes. But then again, these will be for my bike and not someone else's so that doesn't really matter. And I was looking at the e-track system which is pretty damn awesome compared to D rings, I've seen them on a trailer before.
Now, I do have baxley stands and a pitbull restraint. In my Ford extended cargo van I have the following layout. Two Baxley 5' away from driver and passenger seat and in between towards the rear is my Pitbull restraint. I usually have my track bike a friends bike and my 1098 on Pitbull restraint whenever I am doing trackdays. Going back to why I left 5' of free space is because I sleep in my van rather than using a hotel. lol!
Snowleopard8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 03:54 PM   #10
Banned

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

2 wheels chocks in the front of my 6x12 enclosed. wood floors. nothing fancy.

i pull mine w/ a Ram 1500 hemi. when the trailer is fully loaded, u can feel it. i get around 9mpg @ 70. lol.

i actually want a smaller one, i dont need a 6x12 to haul one bike...
Twisted10 is offline   Reply With Quote