My Ducati is a piece of crap - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > General Discussion > Ducati Discussion

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 17th, 2017, 03:01 PM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

My Ducati is a piece of crap

My 2015 Multi broke down on the highway. Had it towed in. Ducati said it needed a software update, which was performed. I picked it up - on the way home a half dozen warning lights came on. Turned around and brought it back. Ducati says it really needs a new throttle. I wait 4 weeks for the part. The wrong part arrives. I wait another week for the right part. They install it, I pick it up, and I actually get it home OK! Then I take it to work. On the way home, it dies 5 times while moving. I become good at starting the bike while coasting so I don't get rear ended. Also, the bike now surges while holding the throttle steady. Even when running, it is difficult to ride. I am waiting to have it towed in again. I missed the spring, and will likely miss half the summer. Why did I buy this piece of CRAP.
RNJ12 likes this.
David 444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old May 17th, 2017, 03:48 PM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 444 View Post
My 2015 Multi broke down on the highway. Had it towed in. Ducati said it needed a software update, which was performed. I picked it up - on the way home a half dozen warning lights came on. Turned around and brought it back. Ducati says it really needs a new throttle. I wait 4 weeks for the part. The wrong part arrives. I wait another week for the right part. They install it, I pick it up, and I actually get it home OK! Then I take it to work. On the way home, it dies 5 times while moving. I become good at starting the bike while coasting so I don't get rear ended. Also, the bike now surges while holding the throttle steady. Even when running, it is difficult to ride. I am waiting to have it towed in again. I missed the spring, and will likely miss half the summer. Why did I buy this piece of CRAP.
I sympathize, when they run smooth they are great when they break they seem to have a chain reaction. I bought my first 1098 new, was a POS, had to do 4 different recalls, and endless pieces breaking. I also ended up buying one used, clean title and one salvage title. I still own the salvage title, used it as a track bike, then sold the clean titled bike, rebuilt the salvage, swapped out the frame with a clear titled frame, and went over it with a fine tooth comb. 0 problems since rebuild, but I do take extra care every winter to go thru everything. Anyways sorry to hear about your troubles, I hope Ducati (and they wont) replaces it with one that works!
Old May 17th, 2017, 04:18 PM   #3

ducatis in the registry:
[Monster 821]

l see this problem coming up across many models using the ride by wire and the solution was to replace the throttle assembly...but...I've battled with this problem continuously since my first valve service... l have literally replaced every possible bit except the throttle assembly to no avail and was about to replace the throttle assembly when l noticed my clutch cable compressing and straining the wires which lead to the throttle assembly... As soon as l freed it l have been error free for over 2k miles. Your bike may be afflicted by other inferences but on my M821 it was the clutch cable, the connection l am referring to is directly under the steering bearings...in front of the air box...its worth a check...the picture shows them in their freed, natural, and correct orientation, albeit a little pulled forward from being bound up for so long...the cable had moved up into the wires at the clip and was pulling them forward and apparently breaking the connection...
Attached Images

Buhgaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2017, 04:20 PM   #4
Court Jester

https://youtu.be/MF996juVdwU
Buhgaboo likes this.
Old May 17th, 2017, 04:41 PM   #5
Court Jester

https://youtu.be/NOh9kQsZ_rs
Old May 17th, 2017, 04:42 PM   #6
Court Jester

I've not herd good things about the multi. I drink way too much koolaid and love my 848.
cbr6 likes this.
Old May 17th, 2017, 07:00 PM   #7

The throttle assembly is what they replaced - it lasted for about 15 miles. My bike is in front of my house with the key in it waiting for the tow truck to come tomorrow. If you get here first you can have it. I just want my insurance money.
Old May 17th, 2017, 10:10 PM   #8

ducatis in the registry:
[Monster S4 R]

BRT!!!! Where you at?!
jsgbearpaws1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2017, 05:51 AM   #9

Quincy, MA. I will have to report it stolen, though. You can sell it for parts. You won't get any money for the throttle assembly, though.

Before I bought this bike, I looked up what people were saying about Ducati reliability, and most said it was a problem that has been greatly improved. Liars. I bought a British sports car 6 years ago, and have had very little problems with it. British! I should have bought a Triumph. I will try them next after I get rid of my current piece of garbage.
Old May 18th, 2017, 07:28 AM   #10
Court Jester

Quote:
Quincy, MA. I will have to report it stolen, though. You can sell it for parts. You won't get any money for the throttle assembly, though.

Before I bought this bike, I looked up what people were saying about Ducati reliability, and most said it was a problem that has been greatly improved. Liars. I bought a British sports car 6 years ago, and have had very little problems with it. British! I should have bought a Triumph. I will try them next after I get rid of my current piece of garbage.
They can be very reliable but they are no where near a Japanese bike, also different models different issues or lack of.

You don't buy a ducati for reliability....
Old May 18th, 2017, 08:15 AM   #11

Yes, I think you are right. I have to submit and go Japanese. I will likely go with a new Honda CB1100RS. Should be about an even trade for what I have now. It won't be as fun to drive, but it will always be running. Taking into account the constant frustration, I will be happier overall. If I pass you on my Honda while your in your car because your Ducati is in the shop, I'll wave.
Old May 18th, 2017, 08:54 AM   #12
Court Jester

Quote:
Yes, I think you are right. I have to submit and go Japanese. I will likely go with a new Honda CB1100RS. Should be about an even trade for what I have now. It won't be as fun to drive, but it will always be running. Taking into account the constant frustration, I will be happier overall. If I pass you on my Honda while your in your car because your Ducati is in the shop, I'll wave.
After my accident I doubt you will see me on a surface street maybe weekends with friends on a road trip.

Honestly my 848 has been trouble free yes I've blown a couple engines but that was my fault

Honda makes a great (everything) I really enjoyed my CBR but it wasn't something I would go out to the garage and just look at...

Stay Safe!
James c likes this.
Old May 18th, 2017, 11:43 AM   #13

I have an older 996 that I just purchased. So far ridden it 4 times 2 of which ended in tows. Was able to ride it to the dealer so they can inspect it. Even with the older models reliability is hit or miss. That would make me livid with a newer model acting up like yours. At this point I am still undecided on the brand. On the one hand they look and sound amazing on the other the build quality and parts are lacking. Reminds of old sports cars when they are on it's the best when they are off look out.

Past Flings
1994 Yamaha YZF750R
2003 Honda CBR954RR
2005 Honda CBR1000RR
2002 Honda CBR954RR
2006 Suzuki GSXR1000
2004 Kawasaki ZX10R
Shogill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2017, 05:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogill View Post
I have an older 996 that I just purchased. So far ridden it 4 times 2 of which ended in tows. Was able to ride it to the dealer so they can inspect it. Even with the older models reliability is hit or miss. That would make me livid with a newer model acting up like yours. At this point I am still undecided on the brand. On the one hand they look and sound amazing on the other the build quality and parts are lacking. Reminds of old sports cars when they are on it's the best when they are off look out.
I got my 2000 996 right about the same time you got yours. Never had to tow it. Has it been perfect? No, but I didn't expect it would be for a 17 year old machine.

A new bike? Should be fixed under warranty. Shouldn't cost a dime for the new owner. Tow costs should be reimbursed too. A brand new machine should not break down as soon as it leaves the dealer.

I empathize with you on your problems but I can't put that all down to the machine itself. Your dealership has to own up to some of the issues as they seem to have made things worse instead of better.

As I don't own a new Ducati, I can't comment on ownership but I've ridden a couple at test rides and honestly, they're so capable, it's beyond my meager riding skills to reach their limits.

That's one of several reasons I stick to older bikes. They're simpler and easier to work on. Once you get them to the point where they're good, all you have to do is keep up with normal maintenance.

I guess what I'm trying to communicate here is that it is somewhat unfair to lay all the blame on the machine itself. It is, after all a machine. Nothing more, nothing less. The problems should be sorted out by the dealer, and if they can't do it, then maybe a new one is in order, rather than a new machine. Just my .02............sean
Shrek, Joeii, WERA689 and 2 others like this.
2000.5 Aprilia Mille R
2000 Ducati 996
???? Kawasaki EX500 basket case

Suzuki collection
2004 GSXR 600
1992 GSXR 750 oil boiler
1983 XN85 Turbo
NorCal996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2017, 05:59 PM   #15

Indeed. If the bike is still under warranty (which is most likely is) Ducati will take care of everything, even the tow through Ducati Roadside Assistance. No way should a part take 4 weeks to arrive if it is being replaced under warranty. The dealer should have submitted for an emergency warranty parts delivery if it was listed as backorder. Ducati NA takes warranty matters seriously. I'm not sure of the laws up there, but in some areas if a new bike is in service for repairs more than so many days within it's warranty period then it qualifies for a buyback.

I'm sure you have all the prior documentation, but if not make sure to get every piece of information regarding the communication through Ducati NA and the dealer thus far for the repairs. If there's a reoccurring issue with the bike, make sure to have the Ducati Service Area Manager involved to assist the dealer is resolving it.

Who knows, something weird could be going on with the bike that's had such a shitluck course of manifestation. But you should not have been without your bike for so many days.
Joeii is offline   Reply With Quote