1098 clutch replacement help. - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > General Discussion > Ducati Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 18th, 2017, 07:12 AM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

1098 clutch replacement help.

Newer to the forum. Trying to use the phone app so this may get posted in the wrong section. I have a 2008 ducati 1098 right around 6,000 miles. The last few rides I've noticed that that getting out of first gear hasn't been feeling right. I feel like I need to ride the clutch in order for it to not stall which is obviously not a good thing. I can also notice a squealing sound as well. I've been doing my research on the forums and other websites but I'm a little confused on what I'm supposed to look for in a bad clutch. When I took the plates out he basket looked fine but I don't know how to tell if the plates look bad. Name:  ImageUploadedByDucati.org Forum1495116703.705400.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  57.1 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByDucati.org Forum1495116724.946156.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  54.9 KB

From the looks of it in assuming they should be replaced but like I said this is a learning experience for me so any input would be great.
carter838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old May 18th, 2017, 10:52 AM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

Check post and search/ "GOOGLE" for stack height The plates don't look bad to me, it could be as simple as bleeding your clutch slave.
Old May 18th, 2017, 11:29 AM   #3

ducatis in the registry:
[916]

Clutch Replacement Criteria

Your plate pictured has friction material left, but you need to measure plate thickness to decide if replacement is needed.

The standard test for detecting worn-out clutch plate friction material is to watch for slippage when accelerating in top gear. Give it wide-open-throttle and see if revs rise without a corresponding acceleration.

Some people are just harder on clutches than others, so service mileage will vary over a wide range.

You can often stop slippage by maintaining the force pushing the plates together. The idea here is to maintain the correct total stack height as the friction material wears off it reduces the thickness of each plate.

The higher the stack height, the more the springs are compressed, and the greater the force pushing the plates together. The clutch slips when there's either not enough force supplied by the springs or when the friction material is worn completely off.

The flat metal plates come in stock 2.5 mm or 3 mm thicknesses. When the overall plate stack height wears 0.5 mm, replace one 2.5 mm flat plate with a 3 mm one. At 1 mm stack height wear, repeat for a second flat plate. At 1.4 mm 1.6 mm wear, replace all the friction plates.

Allowable friction plate wear is 0.2 mm (each).So,

3 mm friction plate minimum thickness = 2.8 mm

2.5 mm friction plate minimum thickness = 2.3 mm

Ducati considers both the plates and clutch basket to be wear items. By the time you need to replace the worn-out clutch plates the basket has been notched from the impact loads of the plates. Ducati specifies the allowable gap between the plates and basket as a quite small 0.6 mm, effectively saying to replace the basket and plates together.
Attached Images

Shazaam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 07:08 AM   #4

No ducatis in the registry

Thanks for the input I'll look into it today when I get out of work. There isn't any slippage in any of the gears besides first really. First gear is the only issue I've really been having. It doesn't catch until late and by that point I'm pretty much riding the clutch.
carter838 is offline   Reply With Quote