Ducati.org forum banner

Checking country of origin

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Marmoot 
#1 ·
Hiya

I got an 1199S that I suspect was an import from Japan.
Is there a way to determine this (by VIN number, chassis number, etc) for sure?

#2 ·
Hiya

I got an 1199S that I suspect was an import from Japan.
Is there a way to determine this (by VIN number, chassis number, etc) for sure?
What exactly is making you suspicious ? ..

#3 ·
Someone in the dealer said, but can't confirm. It is running very hot that the radiator fan couldn't control to bring down below 104,and we run lower octane fuel here than japan. And it feels very lethargic when it reaches 8.5k rpm, and I heard japanese model may be limited to 165hp

#5 · (Edited)
The main difference between Japan and the rest of the world on European import bikes are headlight, exaust, and ECU. They do limit them to Japan road standards but many just remap the ECU and change exaust to get the full power back. But original parts are kept to go thru the inspection process every 2 years. As to fuel ratings it is rated a bit different in Japan but WOULD NOT be the cause of your bike fan not to cool it down.

#7 ·
Then let us know where the fuck you are.. it kinda helps a little.

Vin decoding should give you a region of delivery.

Also a lot of those threads give you an address to email the factory to get the info from the horses mouth..

Maybe your trawling was not thorough.

Best ask the person who sold you the bike.

#9 · (Edited)
Sorry, new Zealand here, and Celsius.
A dealer sold it to me but i can't trust that dealer much now unfortunately.
I spent a night googling and following threads on vin checks but couldn't find any information which character in the vin that can tell which country of delivery, so any help or links would be much appreciated. Two nights now.

Temperatures would run away as high as 113C in traffic jam, despite air temperature being in the low tens winter day. Once moving it is normal, but at stop and go it gets that high although i can see the temperature goes up much slowly above 104C. I've followed any procedures that are supposedly to get rid of airlock. Radiator is topped up with agip ducati coolant. Fan running properly. It is not eating any oil or coolant. I'm really stumped here, guys.
Much appreciate your replies, but really would like to know if someone had been more successful than me in searching for the information i need.

#10 ·
First off, ancestry.com

I'ld go directly to Ducati and find it.

Anyone else have the thought of, engine ice, ripping out of the thermostat.....those thoughts?

And also if you go back to the first few Panni threads, you will find these bikes run hot!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.