Ducati.org forum banner

Understanding Chassis a little more

8K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  1fast750ss 
#1 ·
Hi guys and ladies,

I wanted to add a little something to the mix, so I can say I have some skin in the game. When I worked at the Ducati Dealership, one of things I emphasized to my customer was the importance of proper chassis and suspension set up with their new bike.

I wrote this to help inform everyone and wanted to share it with you. I do not claim to be an engineer, nor an expert, so feel free to add input.

It will better understand why it is so important to properly set up your chassis before you do suspension. Another reason why I emphasize the triple swap on the Superbike to everyone that will be going over the 75% threshold.

Attachments

#5 ·
That's because it was intended for my boss. LOL!

Seriously, it's because I'm just a normal guy too. Keep it simple.

#6 ·
Great write up thanks for sharing the information.

#7 ·
Why is it that race bike set ups have more trail than the road bikes? I would have thought you would want to have a race bike steer as quickly as possible to get it in a turn fast? Am I missing something counter intuitive? Like a stability issue?

You have explained the basic geometry well.

I would add that it is more important to set the geometry first than the clickers and spings. Well I suppose spring weight will have an effect on geometry so I suppose set saggs and spring weights then dial in the geometry, then ride it and fine tune with clickers

#8 ·
+1 on that question
Why is it that race bike set ups have more trail than the road bikes?
The way I understand geometry, trail is like the length of a rudder. I understand it adds stability and decreases needed steering input, but I don't understand how it solves the 'running wide coming out of corner' problem form instance. An issue that everyone is 'solving' by using reduced offset triples (i.e. increased trail).

#11 ·
#13 ·
Ya, I saw that after looking at other posts. Went "Doh, Fell for the one"

#15 ·
Well, Euro smuts are chassis related, aren't they?

:blowjob:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.