Remember me
Login  |   Register
Old April 5th, 2010, 06:22 PM   #1

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Send a message via AIM to DucatiGuy
Monster 620 to 1000 DS Motor Swap - DIY info

As some of you may have guessed, from my previous posts, I performed an engine swap in my gf's Monster 620. We dropped in a 1000 DS motor!

Almost all the posts I read on such subject matter, there was always a large majority of people who had something negative to say about performing an engine swap. From the costs being too high, to problems with part compatibility, to coded key issues, there really wasn't much support or info. It really was discouraging at first, but after a few days of research, I knew it could be done.

So this post is for anyone that may be interested in performing an engine swap.

We started with a perfect 2003 Monster 620 with under 5K miles.

We purchased a 1000 DS motor from an 08 Monster S2R 1000 with a hair under 3K miles. It was pulled off in running condition off a bike that was laid down. We picked it up complete with clutch pack, throttle bodies, coils, plug wires and all associated sensors and connections.

Next we sourced an 08 harness off another S2R 1000, and a complete matching (coded) ECU, dash (6K miles), key set, ignition cylinder, rear latch, and gas cap. It is essential that the ECU, dash, keys and all that be from the SAME donor bike or you will not be able to start the bike (well at least without the help of Ducati and some $$$).

We stripped down the 620, and fitted the 1000 DS engine without even breaking a sweat. The engine mounts up perfectly within the frame, and the S2R harness laid down just as the OEM 620's did. It made buttoning everything up really easy.

To get the 1000 DS to fire up with the stock 620's gas tank and fuel pump setup, I did have to pull the fuel pressure regulator off the 620's throttle body and install it on to the 1000 DS's throttle body. This had to be done because on the S2R bikes, the fuel pressure regulator is located in the fuel pump assembly within the tank and not on the throttle body. On the 620's, it's on the throttle body and not in the tank. The fuel pressure regulator is held by one bolt and is an easy cut and splice swap. All you will need is a pair of fuel hose clamps. The whole process from start to finish shouldn't take you more than 15min. An alternative to this would be have been to swap in an S2R gas tank and fuel pump assembly.

Next I machined a pair of spacers to adapt the 620's aftermarket Remus headers on to the 1000 DS motor. The 1000 engine has deeper exhaust outlets, than the 620's. Without such spacers you would have been able to tighten the exhaust into the place. An alternative would have been to use an exhaust system from an S2R, but since we had a Remus full system, we didn't want it to go to waste. It's free-flowing design will work great on the 1000 DS motor.

Last but not least, we had to do a 525 to 520 front sprocket swap so we could reuse the 620's chain and rear sprocket. I may go full 525 down the road, but for the time being, it'll work just fine.

The total out of pocket cost to perform this swap was a hair under $3K. We hope to recoup up to half (if not more) of that expense back with the sale of the 620's complete engine, harness, ECU, key set, etc.

It took my gf and I a full day to strip down her 620, mount up the engine, and get it ready to be started. We used everyday hand tools, a pair of tow straps to "hang" the bike (for engine removal / install), and a tranny jack to move and install the engines.

The final results are stunning! It's night and day when it comes to power. Considering what we paid for everything and what we will get back once we sell all the 620's components, the $1500-$2000 we're out was WELL WORTH IT! Best part, the whole install looks factory and not like some junk yard hack or Frankenstein project.

I'll post some pics once I get everything cleaned up 100%...
DucatiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old April 5th, 2010, 07:21 PM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[Monster S2 R 1000]

Well done!
look forward to the pics
Old April 15th, 2010, 08:18 PM   #3

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Thanks for the write up, I've often thought of doing something like that to an SS. Great info.
raptuous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 08:00 AM   #4
Supporting Vendor

ducatis in the registry:
[996 R]

Akrapovic Racing SP Exhaust System: M1000 only $899

Here is something to finish off the bike:

http://www.ducatispot.com/forums/sho...168#post317168

-M
10 Streetfighter
96 M900
98 900SS FE
07 Sport 1000S
02 MV Agusta F4
12 1199S
02 ST4S
motowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 11:39 PM   #5

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Nice, but we've got the exhaust covered...

Remus Grand Prix carbon cans with the headers, connections and tips all Jet-Hot coated black...
Attached Images

Old April 16th, 2010, 11:48 PM   #6

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Here's a before the engine swap pic of her Monster...

It started life as a normal Monster 620 Dark with the typical matte black tank, and silver frame, wheels, rearsets, etc...

I gave it a chameleon paint job, had the frame, rims, rearsets, shock, swingarm, forks, triple tree, calipers, sprocket, and engine covers powder coated black.

We swapped out the single OEM headlight in place of a now almost impossible to get a hold of Road Racing dual beam "alien face" with matching belly pan.

It's got a bunch of CF add-on's as well and more recently, not in the photo a custom leather and stingray seat.

Now with the new engine in, we're in the process of "cleaning" it up with some CF goodies and an open clutch setup...

Pictures to come soon!
Old April 17th, 2010, 06:57 AM   #7

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucatiGuy View Post

Remus Grand Prix carbon cans with the headers, connections and tips all Jet-Hot coated black...
Love the remus pipes, I've got a set for the SS I'm still slowly collecting stuff for the rebuild on. With luck I'll be able to concentrate on it mid summer, P@ is digging up some info on the Powercommander III I'm considering for the project.
raptuous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2010, 12:08 PM   #8
Supporting Vendor

ducatis in the registry:
[996 R]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucatiGuy View Post

You did a great job on the mods to fit that up.
The black coating looks great!

-M
10 Streetfighter
96 M900
98 900SS FE
07 Sport 1000S
02 MV Agusta F4
12 1199S
02 ST4S
motowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 02:37 AM   #9

ducatis in the registry:
[600 SS]

Send a message via MSN to UNLEASHED
Top stuff m8. Been wondering about this for a while now for my 600SS, using FCRS rather than FI and an upsized single exhaust, as they look the same to the untrained, unsuspecting eye.
Do you have final pics yet??
UNLEASHED is offline   Reply With Quote