Remember me
Login  |   Register
Old October 25th, 2010, 02:20 AM   #1

ducatis in the registry:
[Monster 1100 EVO]

696 Rear Suspension Setup

Re-post from tech section to monster section

After some information on how to adjust my rear suspension on a 696.
Do i turn the top screw clockwise or anticlockwise?
The bottom nuts, what do i use to turn these? Do you need a special tool.
I weigh 62kg's and find the suspension very soft and on bumpy roads i find that the bike is very spongey / bouncey and causes me to lift off the seat.
Looking to firm the suspension to stop this happening.
Any help would be appreciated

2012 1100evo Monster Arrived 18.04.12
2010 696 Monster (Purchased March 2010 Sold March 2012)
2009 CBF250 Honda (gone yippee)
monstergirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old October 27th, 2010, 03:38 AM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[Monster 1100 EVO]

Anyone?????
Must be someone who has played around with the rear suspension on a 696

Old October 27th, 2010, 04:14 AM   #3

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

Are you talking about the spring preload adjustment? The two large black adjustment rings below the yellow spring? You will need a special tool - a C spanner. Also, be aware that the first time you have a go at it, you'll most likely nearly give up - they didn't grease the threads from the factory and they're DAMN tight. In fact the workshop manual says "To turn the preload adjuster nuts, use only a specific tool and take care, otherwise the wrench pins may slip off the nut. This could injure your hands. Never use a wrench with a too small pin or with a too short handle."

I do recall barking my knuckles on this one... LOL

If you're talking about the screw you can see at the top of the shock - that's the rebound adjustment.

If you want to set it "Harder" - you screw it clockwise. Anti-clockwise to soften it.

The best suggestion is to screw it all the way in (clockwise), carefully counting how many turns it takes to fully screw it in. Write this number down in your monster 696 notebook (if you don't have one, run out & get one, okay!) Then screw it back to where you started. Then, screw it clockwise half a turn, write that setting down in your notebook, take the bike out for a ride, then come back and screw it in another half turn, write that down, go for another ride, etc.

If you screw it too far and it feels very harsh - back it off to where it felt best.

Alternatively - you could go and see a suspension person. Usually for about $60 they'll set the proper sag for you (using the C spanners), and help with the rebound setting.

Best of luck!
Old October 27th, 2010, 04:23 AM   #4

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

+1 on getting it done by a suspension guy. In 30 minutes and $40 my 848 went from absolute pig to tolerable, and I've got way more things to set up than you do. Sure, you could do it yourself; but till you buy the tool, test ride it a few dozen times, and spend all afternoon... you get the picture.
1995 Mustang (RIP)
2009 Nismo 370z
Duc_L_over_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2010, 05:26 AM   #5

ducatis in the registry:
[Monster 1100 EVO]

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotcom View Post
Are you talking about the spring preload adjustment? The two large black adjustment rings below the yellow spring? You will need a special tool - a C spanner. Also, be aware that the first time you have a go at it, you'll most likely nearly give up - they didn't grease the threads from the factory and they're DAMN tight. In fact the workshop manual says "To turn the preload adjuster nuts, use only a specific tool and take care, otherwise the wrench pins may slip off the nut. This could injure your hands. Never use a wrench with a too small pin or with a too short handle."

I do recall barking my knuckles on this one... LOL

If you're talking about the screw you can see at the top of the shock - that's the rebound adjustment.

If you want to set it "Harder" - you screw it clockwise. Anti-clockwise to soften it.

The best suggestion is to screw it all the way in (clockwise), carefully counting how many turns it takes to fully screw it in. Write this number down in your monster 696 notebook (if you don't have one, run out & get one, okay!) Then screw it back to where you started. Then, screw it clockwise half a turn, write that setting down in your notebook, take the bike out for a ride, then come back and screw it in another half turn, write that down, go for another ride, etc.

If you screw it too far and it feels very harsh - back it off to where it felt best.

Alternatively - you could go and see a suspension person. Usually for about $60 they'll set the proper sag for you (using the C spanners), and help with the rebound setting.

Best of luck!
Thankyou so much spot.
Very informative and knowledgeable.
Plan A will play around with it on Sunday and if all else fails
Plan B find a suspension person in Perth.

Old October 27th, 2010, 05:31 AM   #6

ducatis in the registry:
[Monster 1100 EVO]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_L_over_V View Post
+1 on getting it done by a suspension guy. In 30 minutes and $40 my 848 went from absolute pig to tolerable, and I've got way more things to set up than you do. Sure, you could do it yourself; but till you buy the tool, test ride it a few dozen times, and spend all afternoon... you get the picture.
Got the picture
Plan B if all else fails
Thanks for the input

Old October 31st, 2010, 08:53 PM   #7

ducatis in the registry:
[Monster 1100 EVO]

Best of luck![/quote] Spotcom

Hi Spot,
Adjusted as you suggested and have ended up screwing in 3 clicks and bike is much better. Went on a club run yesterday and normally i come last as i didn't have confidence when cornering as the bike was spongey. Finished the run around the middle of the pack of 42 Dukes and even a few comments on my holding lines on corners and what has happened since our last ride. I was even asked if i had done a track day or attended a ride school, so i am definately happier now the bike is behaving better and my confidence has grown.
Thanks again for you assistance

Last edited by monstergirl69; October 31st, 2010 at 09:09 PM.