Remember me
Login  |   Register
Old May 11th, 2012, 08:10 AM   #1

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

MTS1200 Fuel Level Indicator

I have what seems to be a problem on my 1200. After filling up with fuel and setting off for the first 50kms or so the fuel gauge drops to nearly half (and corresponding range info), and then after 50-60 kms it goes back up to full. Is anyone else having this problem? I can't believe that this is normal yet the dealership tell me nothing is wrong and it's just the fuel levelling out.

For 50 clicks ???

Anyone else with the same issues I would love to hear about it.
jamilsiddique is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old June 16th, 2012, 03:49 PM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[Streetfighter]

Howdy !!

My wife and i have a Multi each Both have had fuel senders fail.
Mine went completely and hers randomly/intermittently

Speaking to the mechanics at the dealership its a very common problem.

and the fuel "levels out" while you are filling up the bike ive left the ignition on and watched rise as you fill. Sounds like your dealers having a lend of you.

2009 Streetfighter
2011 Pikes peak Multistrada
2010 Husqvarna TE510
sonicboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2012, 07:36 AM   #3

No ducatis in the registry

Do you turn off the dash completely when refueling? The manual says something about it not resetting if the dash is not turned off.
wlrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 04:31 AM   #4

ducatis in the registry:
[Diavel]

I filled the tank on my '10 Multistrada last week. The next day I started the bike and a "Fuel Sensor Error" message was being displayed and the fuel level indicator was flashing and showing the tank as just about empty. I checked and the tank was full so I went riding.

After about 15 minutes the level indicator worked its way up to Full and the error message disappeared. Haven't seen the problem since then and it was the only time it happened since I've owned the bike.

Have you or anyone else seen this problem?
sartick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 10:48 PM   #5

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Thanks all for your comments. Got the complete tank unit replaced under warranty after a bit of insistence to the dealer. Problem fixed. Cheers
Old September 13th, 2015, 05:11 AM   #6

2014 GT fuel sensor started acting up at 400 miles. Sometimes it works sometimes it does not and it seems to be inaccurate now with 1200 miles on it. Called FBF and they indicated it needs a new sensor. Takes a day to rip it out and replace it. Need to drop off the bike. Also have a leaky master cylinder cap. I changed the oil myself and the bike has a center stand. You need to remove the stand to remove the engine bash plates. Seems like a dumb design to me to need to remove a center stand to change oil? Maybe the 2015 is not this way.
medobson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2015, 08:46 AM   #7

I had a 2013 GT. The fuel gauge initially would take some time to revert to full after filling up with fuel. Over a few hundred miles the gauge got less and less responsive - staying at nearly empty regardless of how much fun was in the tank. My dealer said the reason was as mentioned by wlrider. After three dealer visits they ordered a new fuel sender under warranty - problem fixed.
PT151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2015, 09:16 AM   #8
EZ.

Mine generally doesn't register the fuel until the second time I shut down and restart. I think I have a problem with accuracy as well. I'll drive 20 miles after the low fuel level light comes on and still only put 3.5 gallons in. Tank is supposed to be 5+ gallons and low fuel indicates 1 gallon remaining...so where's the other half gallon? I tried using a stick as a dipstick and it looked like the fuel was pretty low (tilted the stick so the bottom was being pushed toward the back/bottom of the tank. I just bought the bike (a 2013) and I'm not thrilled with only 150-160 miles of range before the indicator light comes on. What kind of range are others getting?
EZ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2015, 03:53 PM   #9

I have a 2014 MTS 1200 Pikes Peak and fuel sensor became unreliable at 9000 miles. Just took it in for 15k Desmo service and had it replaced under warranty. Initially it would indicate low fuel but only take 3 gals to fill as previous post indicated. Eventually just flashed error continuously.
mschmidheiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2015, 05:38 PM   #10

Fuel Level sensors

This has been a known problem for all 10-14 Multi's. It seems the Euro ones don't seem to fail nearly as often, maybe no ethanol helps, but there is a new "D" sensor, that my dealer put in to my 12 at no charge (and yes, I am out of warranty). I have a 2015 as well, and it will hover on the 8-9 bar until the bike is ridden a bit (after filling), I think the software does some calculations or comparisons. It takes about 12-15 miles, and then reads full, and it is consistent, so it is not broken, it is designed that way.

Since you just filled it, you know it is full, just let the bike do its thing. Remember, its character...

BTW, new software out, huge difference, very happy with mine, feels like 5-7 more hp, and at least 10 lbs of torque
VikingThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2016, 02:50 AM   #11

I have just purchased a 2012 MTS and I have the same issue. Fill the tank, it shows half, ride approx. 40 klms then it shows full. I got told it's normal but a mate has one and it shows full straight away.
Sparra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2016, 05:24 AM   #12

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Sparra, well you have two choices,
1. Live with the issue
2. Change the tank unit.

As your bike is out of warranty you'll have to pay for it yourself and if it's not too inconvenient for you then I'd suggest live with it, albeit it can be a touch annoying. It's a common fault in the earlier models. But after 40-50 clicks it will register the proper level of fuel. The only think is if you lend your bike to a friend let them know about it. I lent mine to a friend and he didn't know about and panicked thinking there was a fuel leak.

My dealer told me it was normal, I asked him if the bike was designed to do that, he said no, so I made him change it under warranty. Typical Ducati, but you gotta love them.
Remove Ads