Remember me
Login  |   Register
Old March 30th, 2012, 03:59 PM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

750 ss Fork Seals

Hi guys,
I've tried a search function but couldnt get it to work properly

My '95 ss is suffering from the lh fork seal leaking. I should add the forks are non-adjustable marzocci's) The seals were replaced less than 1000km's ago and now its leaking worse than ever

Is this a common prob? The mechanic who replaced the seals made a comment about the seal retainer being damaged or having a section missing. Is this causing the seal to dislodge?

I do recall others having seal probs,is this the case?

Anyone got a quick fix or should i just spring for another set of forks second-hand from a 900ss(Do they fit if they are in the same year range?)

Any help or links to help would be greatly appreciated. i love my little beast and hate it being out of action
Lukeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old March 31st, 2012, 12:31 AM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

Your '95 750SS should have (non-adjustable) Showas on it. If you look on the inside of the lower fork casting it should have Showa on there. Certainly a lot of the 600s had Marzocchis with non-rebuildable internals, but a 750 should have Showas.
But yes - they do leak after a certain mileage. I was replacing them (one at a time) about every 10,000 kms in the end (I did 96,000 kms on it).
The new owner had the inner legs re-hard-chromed, but I'm not sure how cost-effective this is, particularly if you are paying a shop to dismantle/rebuild the forks.
The 900 forks will fit if you get them from a similar age of bike, and will give you some adjustability. And they don't eat seals like the 750s do.
I persisted with my stock 750 forks as I had fitted Gold Valves and upgraded springs to them. The Gold Valves are worth considering whichever way you go.
As a one-up bike (Superlight seat) my front end was vastly improved by reverting to a single (cast iron 'floater') disc. The reduced unsprung weight (enhanced by a hollowed axle, CF 'guard etc.) allowed me to brake way later into bumpy turns.

Last edited by pat1098; March 31st, 2012 at 01:32 AM.
pat1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 03:42 PM   #3

Thx pat,
I'll have to take a look, but the mechanic told me they are marzocchi's even though I believed they were showa's too ( and had already ordered fork seals for showa's)
Perhaps someone in the history of the bike has put the 600 forks on it
The previous owner also had the fork legs re-chromed and I am wondering if the re-chroming has altered the diameter slightly so the seal doesnt 'seal' correctly if you know what i mean
Anyway I will do some more investigating as to what is actually fitted
If I do get a 2nd set of forks, I will do the same as you and have them re-sprung, gold-valved etc although then I will need to do the rear shock in a similar fashion also (Seems all of us can never leave our bikes as standard)
Old March 31st, 2012, 05:28 PM   #4

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

The Showa rear shock tends to wear through the very-thin Teflon? (PTFE?) piston ring.
There is obviously enough lateral force through the rear cantilever set-up to load one side of the piston and bore.
I ended up getting the piston machined to accept a (I think) White Power piston ring, which made it work much better.
These things need an overhaul and new oil after about 30,000 kms.
pat1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 11:21 PM   #5

I went to the shop who did the seals for me and after discussions and testing, he believes I may need new bushes and perhaps the lh fork leg is bent or under-size thanks to the re-chroming

A local suspension shop wants around $370 to strip and replace bushes and seals. Plus the cost of removing and installing the forks

All that expensive is without modifying the forks - ie springs and gold valves

Alternatively, I can get a set of forks from the 'states for around $400 and slot them straight-in off a 900ss. My only concern is, are the 900s forks using the same front axle size and caliper mounts? are they the same length? Any input would be appreciated. looking at the ebay pics for the 900ss forks, they are non-adjustable too, whereas I remember the 900ss forks here were fully adjustable

Cheers
Old April 2nd, 2012, 03:16 AM   #6

Ive done some more searching and it appears the forks on my bike are in-fact the non adjustable marzocchi's.
I'm led to believe these forks cannot be rebuilt or modfiied?
The forks on ebay are in-fact non adjustable showa's(apparently the US got different model specs to us in Oz)
So are the marzocchis and showa's both the same diameter and caliper spacing?
Any thoughts?
Really need some help here guys
Thanks
Old April 2nd, 2012, 10:47 AM   #7

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Get out the micrometer and measure the triple clamp and axle diameter and go Ebay hunting.

Maybe it's cheaper to get some nice YZF Ohlins forks or even complete front end and just have the triple clamps machined?
raptuous is offline   Reply With Quote