Remember me
Login  |   Register
Old January 4th, 2008, 06:11 AM   #1

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Easiest way to change rear shock???

Can anyone give me a few pointers about what is the easiest way to change to rear monoshock on my 2008 1098?
armstrong82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old January 19th, 2008, 11:04 AM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S Tri-Color]

the easiest way to change the rear shock is have the bike shop do it lol. never changed one on a bike but in a truck keep the shock compressed until you have bottom connected then release shock and line up with top.....may work may not good luck
morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2008, 01:55 PM   #3

ducatis in the registry:
[916 SPS]

Why? Watchya doin that for? What's the plan Stan? Changing springs? New shock?

Maybe..... Either 'hang' the rear of the bike or jack it up under the motor to take the weight off the shock which may or may not raise the rear wheel off the ground. If you do have the rear wheel off the ground make sure you chock underneath it before you dissconnect the rear shock. To make installation easier measure between the 'eyes' of the uncompressed shock and adjust the rear wheel height to match.

brettc63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 05:14 AM   #4

No ducatis in the registry

I watched/helped my buddies swap out shocks on their kawis. It was easily supported by the garage rafters and tie downs, and the setup took longer then the swap.
torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 08:01 PM   #5

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]
[ST 2]

The shock replacement is not hard but it requires quite a bit of patience and a bit of discressionary time. Remove the side fairings so that you can get a jack under the engine if you need to. You'll also need to remove the rear wheel and you'll need to remove the exhaust headers so that the swingarm can be dropped to remove the shock. This is easy to say than do, particularly if you still have the stock exhaust with the butterflu valving. Just be sure to have a rubber mallet handy to help move the press fit pipes.

Remove the side panels and the seat and use soft ties to the rear subframe to hang the bike from the rafters. I used the rear stand to initailly raise the bike & supplemented that with a jack under the engine sump protected by a block of wood to raise and lower the bike as necessary. Remove the lower bolt from the shock by removing the black rubber plug an using an allen head on a ratched extension. This will drop the swingarm and allow the upper bolt of the shock to become more accessible. After removing the upper bolt you should be able to get the shock out if the swingarm drops far enough to the ground. This is why the pipes need to be removed and is where the engine jack comes in handy, allowing you to raise the bike slightly while at the same time adjusting the ties that are suspending the bike.

Replacement is the reverse of removal ..... and is so easy to say. I keep the rear stand attached to the axle to help in raising and lowering the swingarm to help get the bolts back in place and gives you a good opportunity to check out the welds that give some folks so much heartburn

Allow 4 to 8 hours dependng on your wrenching experience and patience.

Good Luck - Chris
ckirkst2s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 08:36 PM   #6

ducatis in the registry:
[999 S]
[1098 S Tri-Color]

Yeah, it took my mechanic about 4 hours to figure out how to get the whole shock assembly out. Once out, the process of changing the spring doesn't take that long. You have to do exactly as stated above. The pain in the ass is getting the exhaust off/on. Once you are able to drop the swingarm, the shock will come out. You then button everything back up and your done. It's definitley way more difficult to change than previous models (916,996,998,999).
JohnnyDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 09:58 PM   #7
Banned

No ducatis in the registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckirkst2s
The shock replacement is not hard but it requires quite a bit of patience and a bit of discressionary time. Remove the side fairings so that you can get a jack under the engine if you need to. You'll also need to remove the rear wheel and you'll need to remove the exhaust headers so that the swingarm can be dropped to remove the shock. This is easy to say than do, particularly if you still have the stock exhaust with the butterflu valving. Just be sure to have a rubber mallet handy to help move the press fit pipes.

Remove the side panels and the seat and use soft ties to the rear subframe to hang the bike from the rafters. I used the rear stand to initailly raise the bike & supplemented that with a jack under the engine sump protected by a block of wood to raise and lower the bike as necessary. Remove the lower bolt from the shock by removing the black rubber plug an using an allen head on a ratched extension. This will drop the swingarm and allow the upper bolt of the shock to become more accessible. After removing the upper bolt you should be able to get the shock out if the swingarm drops far enough to the ground. This is why the pipes need to be removed and is where the engine jack comes in handy, allowing you to raise the bike slightly while at the same time adjusting the ties that are suspending the bike.

Replacement is the reverse of removal ..... and is so easy to say. I keep the rear stand attached to the axle to help in raising and lowering the swingarm to help get the bolts back in place and gives you a good opportunity to check out the welds that give some folks so much heartburn. Allow 4 to 8 hours dependng on your wrenching experience and patience.

Good Luck - Chris
kirkst2s:
Good posting, do you have any insight you can add to swingarm removal/re-install??

Thanks.

RC
RC51-05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 10:19 PM   #8

ducatis in the registry:
[916 SPS]

If they are like the older bikes, the motor has to be removed from the frame to do it not sure though about the 1098's. I'd imagine they are the same. Could be a weekend job.

brettc63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 12:15 AM   #9

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckirkst2s
Allow 4 to 8 hours dependng on your wrenching experience and patience.

Good Luck - Chris
Thanks for the input fellas. I got it done in about 2 1/2 hours that same day. It was a huge pain but pretty straight forward. Did it by myselft too!!

Jim

2003 Ducati Monster620i.e. (SOLD); 2007 Ducati 1098 (R.I.P.); 2005 Ducati Monster S4R (SOLD); 2008 Ducati 1098
armstrong82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 04:44 AM   #10

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]
[ST 2]

Quote:
Originally Posted by armstrong82
Thanks for the input fellas. I got it done in about 2 1/2 hours that same day. It was a huge pain but pretty straight forward. Did it by myselft too!!

Jim
Where do you live in Madison? I just happen to be there (here) now visiting my brother.

Chris
ckirkst2s is offline   Reply With Quote