New to me 1098s question - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 5th, 2018, 08:24 PM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

New to me 1098s question

Hey guys!

I currently own a 2015 diavel Carbon, 08 848 and I just snagged a 2008 1098s with 2800 miles. I am pretty excited

The owner said that the belts were changed 4 years ago and only have 500 miles on them. Should I get them replaced regardless? Is it time or mileage that wears these things down...or both?

He did say that the tank swelling issue was addressed. Any suggestions regarding immediate maintenance for an old bike with low mileage?

Thanks!
Attached Images

danamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old February 5th, 2018, 10:19 PM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

100% the bike needs a service. belts oil filters etc are a MUST. perhaps a suspension leak check for now also.

nice bike! brand new...
fuzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2018, 10:57 PM   #3

ducatis in the registry:
[916]

If it was my bike I wouldn't change them yet.

Over the years Ducati has gradually relaxed its specified interval for cam timing belt replacement. The reasons are refined methods for setting belt tension accurately ó and probably better belts.

The 1098S Owners Manuals specified 15,000 miles or two years Ė whichever occurs first. The current Multistrada spec is replacement at 15,000 miles or five years.

Itís my understanding that a recent Ducati Workshop Notification has changed the service requirement to mileage only. Check with your dealer.

That said, Gates, the OEM supplier of Ducati timing belts has stated that the service life for their belts is eight years when properly stored. (There is no guidance available for aftermarket timing belts.)

Belt replacement is a big money-maker for the dealer network so expect them (and others) to use FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) to get you to change them prematurely.

So, if you buy a new bike and then put it your private collection, and donít ride it for four years, do you have to replace the belts?

Of course not.

Conversely, if you have a track bike that lives at the red-line donít wait to change your belts until 12,000 miles is up.

You need to use your common sense here.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Gates 8 Year Belt Life.pdf (13.1 KB, 83 views)
Shazaam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2018, 12:28 AM   #4

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

great information there...

yet, speaking of fear, the cost of 2 belts is really nothing compared to the continuous doubt that OP will have on his engine, riding his other than that excellent condition 1098s.

i would change them. i would change anything in liquid state on this bike also. just to be on the safe side.
fuzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2018, 07:21 AM   #5

Thanks for the info everyone. I may end up just getting it completely serviced. I think the coolant is still the original and the brake/clutch fluid is 2 years old.

Now...tires. They are the originals but appear to be in great condition. Its probably not a good idea to ride on them...thoughts?
Old February 6th, 2018, 08:13 AM   #6

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

A few years ago I started running out of gas on my 1098S. The thermister - the device that senses low fuel and lights the low fuel light - had gone south. I suppose there's only one way to check this.

Pjk
Peter Krynicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2018, 03:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Krynicki View Post
A few years ago I started running out of gas on my 1098S. The thermister - the device that senses low fuel and lights the low fuel light - had gone south. I suppose there's only one way to check this.

Pjk
Yikes! I don't want to find that. I am sure there is plenty of info on the forums but is that issue difficult to fix?
Old February 7th, 2018, 08:37 AM   #8

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

Quote:
Originally Posted by danamite View Post
Yikes! I don't want to find that. I am sure there is plenty of info on the forums but is that issue difficult to fix?
No idea. My dealer does all the work on my Ducatis. It seems to have been a problem primarily on the 1098, 1098S, and 1098R bikes. I rarely saw it mentioned for other types. If your low fuel light doesn't come on by about 100 miles it may have gone south.

Pjk
Old February 7th, 2018, 12:29 PM   #9

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Krynicki View Post
No idea. My dealer does all the work on my Ducatis. It seems to have been a problem primarily on the 1098, 1098S, and 1098R bikes. I rarely saw it mentioned for other types. If your low fuel light doesn't come on by about 100 miles it may have gone south.

Pjk
I had to push my bike 3/4 of a mile to the nearest gas station up in the PA mountains. Just replace it because if it is not bad yet it will surely fail on you at the worst possible time.

Last edited by lextech; February 7th, 2018 at 12:32 PM.
lextech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2018, 06:00 AM   #10

ducatis in the registry:
[848 EVO]
[1198 S]

When my 1198 was 4 years old with 2100 miles is when the belts were changed the first time. The ones I took out look as new as the ones I replaced them with.

There seems to be a bit of fear mongering about changing belts due to time, Ducati saying at the 2 year mark....

In my experience (4 different Testastretta motors) the belts always looked good and the valves were never WAY out of spec.

I am aware of others having belt issues cause damage, I guess I've had good luck.
Old February 8th, 2018, 08:52 AM   #11

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

I ran out of gas one time and glided right into a gas station. The Lord was riding pillion. But once I pushed the 1098R about a quarter mile and it felt like it weighed 1,000 lbs. Push, rest. Push, rest. Push, rest.
lextech likes this.
Old February 8th, 2018, 09:00 AM   #12

Thanks for the advice guys - since the tires are original but in great condition, would you replace them as well?

This bike look like it was ridden one Sunday every 6 months...very lightly.
Old February 8th, 2018, 09:32 AM   #13

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

I would ride on those tires ONLY on warm dry days. The VOCs will have gassed off causing the tires to get harder. I'm a cheapskate so I would ride on them ;-)
But you should replace them before you start riding hard.
Definitely replace the fluids like others said. I would leave the belts, but I would check the tension. The 'exact fit' belts do not hold their tension so replace them with oem.
Previous:
'96 YZF1000R
'89 EX500
Svensken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2018, 10:05 AM   #14

ducatis in the registry:
[1198]

I just rebuilt me engine. It had 2000 miles of race use on it and 4 years of track days. I replaced them as my engine was new but the belts looked fine. They were not cracking, tearing or showing any signs of wear. I have also changed them at the correct interval and they looked the same. I have been an auto mechanic for over 20 years and the timing belts rarely ever wear out. If they were changed 500 miles ago I would change them in another 7000 miles.

Shazzam is right. I would listen to him.
2005 Ducati 999
2010 Ducati 1198
2010 Harley Davidson Sportster Nightster (WIFE'S)
2009 Yamaha YZF-R6
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 (WIFE'S)
2008 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
1982 Kawasaki KZ440
pottebaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2018, 03:09 AM   #15

ducatis in the registry:
[848 EVO]
[1198 S]

Quote:
Originally Posted by danamite View Post
Thanks for the advice guys - since the tires are original but in great condition, would you replace them as well?

This bike look like it was ridden one Sunday every 6 months...very lightly.
I may be wrong, but it appears the rear tire has use all the way to the edge.....no chicken strips, so to speak.

Which could mean a trackday was had....not that it would make any difference, but just saying...