Tire wear - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 19th, 2008, 04:24 PM   #1

ducatis in the registry:
[GT 1000]

Tire wear

I only have about 2500 miles on my 1098 and my rear tire is close to the end of its life is this normal. Seems like I used to get at least 5 to 6K on my last bike. Tried a search on tire wear didn't find much.
ENZOSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old December 19th, 2008, 04:26 PM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

Post up a picture.
Mean Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 04:35 PM   #3

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

Send a message via MSN to The Evil Dr J
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENZOSO View Post
I only have about 2500 miles on my 1098 and my rear tire is close to the end of its life is this normal.
Yep, pretty much!

Cheers,
J
Old December 19th, 2008, 04:56 PM   #4

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Hard to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENZOSO View Post
I only have about 2500 miles on my 1098 and my rear tire is close to the end of its life is this normal. Seems like I used to get at least 5 to 6K on my last bike. Tried a search on tire wear didn't find much.
It's really hard to, across the board, talk about tire wear when you have so many different tires, bikes, riding styles and riders. I got 3800 miles out of my stock rear and my front now needs changing at 6200 miles. If you ride HARD, track the bike, ride EASY, don't check the pressure, have your suspension set wrong for your riding style and weight.....all these things and more will effect tire wear. All you can do is have a tire guy you trust look at them (I can't tell when it's time to change them myself, they look fine to me and my guy says "Change them") and tell you if you need to change them.

I tracked my last bike twice. The first time I wore the shit out of the tires. Chunks of rubber were just FLYING off of the tires. I put a new set of the same tires on and then went to my suspension guy. He made a few adjustments and then back to the track! The tires barely wore that time.

Don't mess with worn rubber is the best advise ANYONE can give you.
Old December 19th, 2008, 05:23 PM   #5

ducatis in the registry:
[GT 1000]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Machine View Post
Post up a picture.
Pretty much chicken strips I live in florida the only twisties I can ride are Highway exit ramps and I have to hope that I can get a clean run without anyone in front of me.
Old December 19th, 2008, 05:27 PM   #6

ducatis in the registry:
[GT 1000]

Peewee,

Good point about suspension set up. My suspension is still untouched from delivery. And It is rather harsh/stiff. Need to do something about it.
Old December 19th, 2008, 05:56 PM   #7

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

The pressure you run in your tires will determine alot.

I used to run mine at like 30psi rear for canyon riding and leave them like that constantly, i'd get 3k miles and they would be done.

I started putting the pressure abck up to 40-43 psi which is what the tire stated when I wasnt in the canyon's and I easily almost got 1.5k more miles out of the tire.
2006 Yamaha R6 Race Bike WSMC #676
2009 Yamaha R1 (Raven)

1098Rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 07:30 PM   #8

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

Hey Enzo,
I got 3,750 on my rear and just had it replaced last week. The stock Dragon Super Corse tires are not very good for milege. I have learned over the years that ensuring the correct tire pressure is key to tire wear. For everyday street riding I have anywhere from 38-42 PSI. For aggressive street riding, I say 32-36 PSI. I do not track my bike but I would guess about 28-32 PSI.
You must check your tire pressure about every two or three gas fill ups. You will be amazed at how much air leaks out of the tires after everyday riding. Although I will say that the Marcheshini (sorry bout the spelling) do a much better job holding the air in, than my previous bikes!!
I got some Pirelli Diablos this time around. They are a harder compound, so they will last much longer. So far I have had no problems with the grip around corners. They are also about half the price of the Dragon Super Corse.
Good luck on your search and if you need any help, just let me know. BTW, I have the 44 mm socket to get the rear tire off. I can come by the house and we can take that thing off. I think the 1098 is the same as 848.
RIP #58 Super Sic

08 848 (current)
06 GSXR1000 (trashed)
04 636 (gone)
00 ZX9R (gone)
00 R6 (gone)
99 YZF600R (gone)
94 Kaw. EX 500 (gone)
84 Honda Magna 750 (gone)
9? 175 Dirtbike (gone)
8? Honda Moped (with Basket) 35 MPH Down hill (gone)
bossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 07:53 PM   #9

ducatis in the registry:
[999]

yep...too many variables on that one..tyre choice/riders/suspension/air pressure and riding conditions and then add the torque of a big L twin. run michies myself and get 7 to 8 k.out of them in cooler weather[largely autumn through to end of spring].hot days and softer compounds ,they just eat the damm things! hj
Old December 21st, 2008, 04:26 PM   #10

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Good thread... I'll be setting my tires a little higher in the pressure range now
Old December 21st, 2008, 05:56 PM   #11

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

My OEM rear tire was worn down to the chords at 2500 miles. I'm using the recommended pressures in the manual.
Old June 28th, 2009, 09:42 PM   #12

No ducatis in the registry

I've got just over 5000km's on my stock tires now and have noticed the rear is starting to look a little worn towards the edges. About a one inch strip on either side that has very small flakes of rubber. Not smooth anymore. Makes me a little paranoid, so I think I will have them looked at...

Last Duc - 749dark
JL848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2009, 09:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by honestjohn View Post
. run michies myself and get 7 to 8 k.out of them in cooler weathe
dayum! you get that many miles? i have the pilot powers, not really sure how many miles because i am the second owner. thats alot of miles on a set of rubber though, hope to make mine last that long.

are you conservative on the throttle? do you mostly commute freeway miles?

id like to know the secret-
jelco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2009, 12:17 AM   #14

ducatis in the registry:
[999]

have nt used it for commuting, although that's about to change !! [heaps of parking for bikes at uni,but for cars is a bloody nightmare].. has been mainly 500k circuits out in the country. some week jaunts away, say 3000k round trips[moto gp/turismo/ndr etc.avoid freeways intensely,usually secondary/back roads= lack of police and no speed limits.not particularly hard on throttle but quick enough to stay ahead/with/behind the rest of the oz contingent here,depending on the mood !!! hj
Old June 29th, 2009, 01:27 AM   #15

He's got a red one they don't go so good around corners and besides he's talking kilometres and not miles.........in the Adelaide Hills we get 6 or 7000 km's, but it's too cold over here now.
Schmacko is offline   Reply With Quote