ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts (https://www.ducati.org/forums/)
-   1098/1198 (https://www.ducati.org/forums/1098-1198/)
-   -   SHINDENGEN SH847- Anyone using it ? (https://www.ducati.org/forums/1098-1198/109562-shindengen-sh847-anyone-using.html)

krypt0nite May 7th, 2018 04:20 AM

SHINDENGEN SH847- Anyone using it ?

Hi guys, my r/r on my 07 1098 took a dump on me yesterday, looking to change it out and was wondering if anyone has gone around fitting the sh847 instead of the fh020aa?

Thank you :D

Raider May 7th, 2018 04:34 AM

Yep, just did the upgrade a couple months ago. Bought the kit from here: Home. Also bought a carbon bracket from member VJ020. No issues with either transaction, installation, or function.

Jason. May 7th, 2018 06:18 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Ive installed a few of them now. 848, 999, 1098, and this week a Hyper 1100.

There are some technical advantages of the series MOSFET over the older FH020- I dont know how those will play out long term since this is a newer part, but if you have the money...

I would also suggest relocating the R/R to the right side of the bike. There is a TON of room, and you can put this thing in the airstream and away from exhaust heat altogether.
Use the Triumph/Roadster extensions harness.

VJ020 May 7th, 2018 09:29 AM

SH847 is relatively new and still not well-documented amongst sport bikes with high RPM application. At the same time, I have not yet documented any negative effects using that regulator also ; so you should be fine if you decide to choose that route (as compared to the previous model SH775 designed for cruisers, which is well documented to fail when used at high RPM's)

The reason I decided to go with FH020 was because it is the number one most commonly used regulator on all super sport bikes (panigale, r1, cbr, s1000RR) for the past 3 years. It is considerably lighter, smaller, and almost half the cost of the 847. I am still trying to find answers why the new and redesigned ducati v4 panigale, gsx-r and CBR fireblade did not use the SH847 - if we were to assume its better than the FH020.

Jason. May 7th, 2018 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VJ020 (Post 1187162)
SH847 is relatively new and still not well-documented amongst sport bikes with high RPM application. At the same time, I have not yet documented any negative effects using that regulator also ; so you should be fine if you decide to choose that route (as compared to the previous model SH775 designed for cruisers, which is well documented to fail when used at high RPM's)

A few notes-
Ducati's are not exactly "high rpm sportbikes". The avg Ducati spends much of its life between 3k and 7.5k rpm. Id call that almost a cruiser.

Also, Ive seen the SH847 working on the dyno up to 12,500rpm, with no excess heat or voltage fluctuations.

The *apparent* limit of 10k rpm- even if it was true- wouldnt matter in this case, unless you plan on running for extended periods of time over 10k rpm. With the possible exception of Daytona, where are you anywhere near redline for more than *maybe* 2 seconds?

There is a good reason why these are not yet common on Sportbikes- the lead time for incorporating these into an electrical system at the OE level is quite long, both from the electrical engineering side, as well as the physical location, and finally costing.

I run FH020 on a few of my bikes and they work great, so I still recommend them when space is at a premium, or cost is a big factor. SH847 is a lot more money.

krypt0nite May 7th, 2018 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider (Post 1187066)
Yep, just did the upgrade a couple months ago. Bought the kit from here: Home. Also bought a carbon bracket from member VJ020. No issues with either transaction, installation, or function.

Did you also get the triumph T2500676 harness?
how hard was the installation to bring all the cables over to the other side? :D

krypt0nite May 7th, 2018 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason. (Post 1187082)
Ive installed a few of them now. 848, 999, 1098, and this week a Hyper 1100.

There are some technical advantages of the series MOSFET over the older FH020- I dont know how those will play out long term since this is a newer part, but if you have the money...

I would also suggest relocating the R/R to the right side of the bike. There is a TON of room, and you can put this thing in the airstream and away from exhaust heat altogether.
Use the Triumph/Roadster extensions harness.

how hard was the install and to bring over the harness to the other side? i order the T2500676 harness as well, just deciding between these two rectifiers :D

krypt0nite May 7th, 2018 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VJ020 (Post 1187162)

The reason I decided to go with FH020 was because it is the number one most commonly used regulator on all super sport bikes (panigale, r1, cbr, s1000RR) for the past 3 years. It is considerably lighter, smaller, and almost half the cost of the 847. I am still trying to find answers why the new and redesigned ducati v4 panigale, gsx-r and CBR fireblade did not use the SH847 - if we were to assume its better than the FH020.

That makes sense, i would like a ease of installation as well, could you pm me the price of the bracket as well? i dont need cf, alu would suffice.

The sh847 looks huge, it is impossible to fit it without rerouting i suppose?

krypt0nite May 7th, 2018 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason. (Post 1187178)
A few notes-
Ducati's are not exactly "high rpm sportbikes". The avg Ducati spends much of its life between 3k and 7.5k rpm. Id call that almost a cruiser.

Also, Ive seen the SH847 working on the dyno up to 12,500rpm, with no excess heat or voltage fluctuations.

The *apparent* limit of 10k rpm- even if it was true- wouldnt matter in this case, unless you plan on running for extended periods of time over 10k rpm. With the possible exception of Daytona, where are you anywhere near redline for more than *maybe* 2 seconds?

There is a good reason why these are not yet common on Sportbikes- the lead time for incorporating these into an electrical system at the OE level is quite long, both from the electrical engineering side, as well as the physical location, and finally costing.

I run FH020 on a few of my bikes and they work great, so I still recommend them when space is at a premium, or cost is a big factor. SH847 is a lot more money.

How is the reliability of the fh020 been so far?

Jason. May 7th, 2018 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krypt0nite (Post 1187250)
How is the reliability of the fh020 been so far?

Ive personally installed between 30-40 of them over the last 10 years and have never seen one fail.
This is the main reason that I *always* recommend the Shindengen stuff instead of the aftermarket versions. Their QC is just very, very good.
(Obviously that is anecdotal so take it FWIW.)

Jason. May 7th, 2018 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krypt0nite (Post 1187226)
how hard was the install and to bring over the harness to the other side? i order the T2500676 harness as well, just deciding between these two rectifiers :D

Its fairly simple if you are mechanically competent. Making a bracket and doing the install took me maybe 2 hours total?

Quote:

Originally Posted by krypt0nite (Post 1187234)
That makes sense, i would like a ease of installation as well, could you pm me the price of the bracket as well? i dont need cf, alu would suffice.

The sh847 looks huge, it is impossible to fit it without rerouting i suppose?

SH847 is maybe 2cm longer than FH020, so it wont fit where the stock regulator goes.
FH020 fits in the stock location with some cutting of the battery box- but really- you would be MUCH better off moving it to the right side.

The real issue is that there is *virtually zero* airflow over the R/R in the standard location.

Just relocate it. Spend the money to do it right the first time.
Cry once.

Raider May 7th, 2018 07:55 PM

With the bracket from VJ020, I put the new R/R back in the stock location. I happened to have the battery box and wiring harness off the bike at the time, so my experience was a little different than just replacing a unit on a fully assembled bike. But I had zero issue with putting it all together.

jabberwoki May 7th, 2018 09:30 PM

Jason have you had any trouble with the heat from the R/R transferring to your aluminum bracket being so close to the plastic cam cover?

I `m considering a carbon fiber bracket.

Jason. May 8th, 2018 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jabberwoki (Post 1187306)
Jason have you had any trouble with the heat from the R/R transferring to your aluminum bracket being so close to the plastic cam cover?

I `m considering a carbon fibre bracket.

No- and Ive measured it using a FLIR camera as well as a simple Fluke temp probe. These were done on dyno, and after a 20 min test ride.

One of the main benefits of the MOSFET R/R's is that there is much less heat created.

I dont know how much additional heat you would need to see to worry about an aluminum bracket, but I imagine it would be in the triple digit increase range.
That simply isnt going to happen with one of these R/R's. Ever.

krypt0nite May 8th, 2018 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason. (Post 1187266)
Ive personally installed between 30-40 of them over the last 10 years and have never seen one fail.
This is the main reason that I *always* recommend the Shindengen stuff instead of the aftermarket versions. Their QC is just very, very good.
(Obviously that is anecdotal so take it FWIW.)

Now after hearing this, i just feel like getting the fh020aa and call it a day, does the panigale comes with a fh020aa as original?

Is Shindengen the manufacturer for the oem ducati/yamaha etc r/r? Just wondering thou there is a panigale 1199 breaking for parts and i could get a deal on the rectifier thou.