Aftermarket Fairings - A more detailed look - Page 3 - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 8th, 2009, 07:40 PM   #31

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

Send a message via Yahoo to Duc-Duc-Goose
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubensnaves View Post
just ordered the tricolore scheme...... iīll let you know how it looks when itīs done.....

COOL !

Current:
'05 999s
'08 848
'02 GSXR-750
Past:
'02 GSXR-600
Duc-Duc-Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old January 8th, 2009, 07:48 PM   #32

No ducatis in the registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeng View Post
Actually according to the 1098 sales brochure the bodywork is made of Terblend tm.

this is a blend of ABS and nylon (PA). The whole lot is reinforced with glass fibre.

If you look on most automotive plastics these days they have the plastic family and glass content moulded into them it is a requirement in many countries to assist with recycling.

cheers

AB.

Ok, it's still ABS just a slightly stronger version. That's all good info thanks for chiming in with you expertise and knowledge. My concern that i mentioned a few posts back and you reiterated is, ABS is weaker and in some cases more brittle as with the cheap Chinese stuff. As you stated it can crack with stress fractures and separate at the mounting points, not to mention a crash. I'm sure everyone is aware of how sharp plastic is when broken, think giant razor blade!

This picture was just posted a couple days ago by member KTM250SX who crashed at a track day and nearly had his arm amputated by the factory ABS plastic(yes it sliced right through his leathers). I don't know guys, i don't like it.....this influx of cheap plastic from China looks like a good deal but i think it's bad mojo.....i have an uneasy feeling. Take it for what it's worth but i would suggest people consider buying true purpose built and engineered composite bodywork for the track and a least stick with the factory stuff on the street.

Ben Franklin

Last edited by Ten-6; January 11th, 2009 at 05:33 PM.
Ten-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 11:21 AM   #33

Holy shit. That picture makes my stomach flip.
"The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true."

- Carl Sagan
Butters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 04:07 PM   #34

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubensnaves View Post
just ordered the tricolore scheme...... i´ll let you know how it looks when it´s done.....
You do realize that with that scheme (Tricolore), you have to paint that gold stripe on the tank to match...

...nonetheless, I wanna see it when you mount it!!!!

Current:
'05 999s
'08 848
'02 GSXR-750
Past:
'02 GSXR-600

Last edited by Duc-Duc-Goose; January 9th, 2009 at 04:21 PM.
Old January 10th, 2009, 08:34 PM   #35

[quote=abeng;129558]Actually according to the 1098 sales brochure the bodywork is made of Terblend tm.

this is a blend of ABS and nylon (PA). The whole lot is reinforced with glass fibre.

If you look on most automotive plastics these days they have the plastic family and glass content moulded into them it is a requirtent in many countries to assist with recycling.

cheers[quote]

The Problem with sales brchures, is they are not accurate... The stock body is ABS..... The Race Replacement body that Ducati sells in it's spare parts catalog is made from Terblend, or fiberglas reinforced ABS/Nylon...
PainterDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2009, 04:19 PM   #36

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]
[ST 4 S]

I've been looking for trackday plastic and was also considering the chinese stuff to avoid the $$$ involved with paint and stickers, but after reading through this thread I'm going with the better stuff, I've determined I would be money ahead and have all my limbs also!
pacabada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 07:54 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacabada View Post
I've been looking for trackday plastic and was also considering the chinese stuff to avoid the $$$ involved with paint and stickers, but after reading through this thread I'm going with the better stuff, I've determined I would be money ahead and have all my limbs also!
In Canada healthcare is "free" so I did not have to pay for them to reattach my limb...
Seriously now, I do agree that the graphics of those bodywork look really nice and I would probably have been very tempted to buy some... before my crash.
Now that I have experienced the sharpness of broken OEM plastics, I will install Attack bodywork on my new trackbike.
Live & learn...

Previous bikes:
2008 ducati Hypermotard - sold
2008 ducati 848 (red) - crashed
2007 Buell XB12R - sold
2005 KTM 250SX - sold
2001 Husqvarna 360WR - sold
1999 KTM 300 EXC - sold
KTM250SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 08:06 AM   #38

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

these are pretty hot: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...TQ:MOTORS:1123

I spoke with the seller on ebay and they're open to any customization for color, graphics etc..

STILL... does anyone ever had a *personal* experience with ebay's fairings?
are they cheaper because they make them in China or because they'll fly off your bike at 160mph?????
fab334@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 08:17 AM   #39

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

JUST A THOUGHT..

ebay's chinese fairings come fully designed, and most of the sellers will customize it for you.
about $6-700 for everything... including shipping....and they're street friendly (I dont know about you but I actaully ride my 1098 around and I need to use my lights!!)

I looked on line at different sites... hot bodies.. sharkskinz... attack....$700....800... even more... for blank fairings... plus whatever they charge for shipping...and we all know how much is a paint job or complete racing stickers or decals.. hundreds and hundreds......... then of course if you want the fairings with the holes for the lights it's about $200 more right away.

seems like it maybe worth to try
Old January 12th, 2009, 03:13 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
JUST A THOUGHT..

ebay's chinese fairings come fully designed, and most of the sellers will customize it for you.
about $6-700 for everything... including shipping....and they're street friendly (I dont know about you but I actaully ride my 1098 around and I need to use my lights!!)

I looked on line at different sites... hot bodies.. sharkskinz... attack....$700....800... even more... for blank fairings... plus whatever they charge for shipping...and we all know how much is a paint job or complete racing stickers or decals.. hundreds and hundreds......... then of course if you want the fairings with the holes for the lights it's about $200 more right away.

seems like it maybe worth to try

Something eludes me about this, If you are so concerned about cost... Why did you buy the 1098 in the first place??? You could have got a new Japanese Bike for half the cost.,...

The Beauty
The Prestige
The Engineering
The Performance...

Now you want to bolt on a Substandard China body onto that.... I don't get it...
PainterDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 09:23 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by PainterDude View Post
Something eludes me about this, If you are so concerned about cost... Why did you buy the 1098 in the first place??? You could have got a new Japanese Bike for half the cost.,...

The Beauty
The Prestige
The Engineering
The Performance...

Now you want to bolt on a Substandard China body onto that.... I don't get it...

good point but some of us don't feel like wasting money (and yes i did just say WASTING) on fairings just to change the look of it.
ipeefreely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 10:28 PM   #42

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

What I don't undersatand is...Why do some of you want more Street-fairings for the track? Even if they are cheap, why would you want to track your bike with a nose-fairing thats made to retain the headlights????

Current:
'05 999s
'08 848
'02 GSXR-750
Past:
'02 GSXR-600
Old January 13th, 2009, 10:55 AM   #43

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

honestly for me my 1098 isnt my track bike so I wouldnt wanna go threw the whole hassle of removing all the headlights and everything when I could throw on some cheaper plastics, cut a hole in them for a frame slider in the case of an accident while on the track. But I do understand what you mean.
2006 Yamaha R6 Race Bike WSMC #676
2009 Yamaha R1 (Raven)

1098Rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 11:22 AM   #44

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

RUBENSNAVES...

where did you order from?

Did you get them already?

post a pic

Last edited by [email protected]; January 13th, 2009 at 11:33 AM.
Old January 13th, 2009, 11:27 AM   #45

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

PAINTERDUDE....

maybe I wasnt clear.

I ride a Ducati first of all because I had Japs and European bikes before and I'll never go back...

second I'm Italian so let me support my Country ;-)

and really.... I was just asking.

We all know that expensive doesnt necessarely mean good quality.

I agree with IPEEFREELY... maybe with the $500 you save from the chinaguy you can get a second set...

maybe?

beside... from your user name.. it's clear you're trying to keep your industry alive...
I looked into SharkSkinz and HotBodies... twice the price and you need a paint job.... is that when we should call you? LOL

just looked at nicecycle.com ... they seem competitive...

Last edited by [email protected]; January 13th, 2009 at 11:31 AM.