Stumped, 1198 running issue - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 21st, 2018, 11:14 AM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

Stumped, 1198 running issue

Posting up if any of you have ideas.

My 1198 idles fine but has developed an issue when getting on initial throttle when the engine is under load. Coming out of corners and getting on the throttle or even just opening the throttle moving away from lights anywhere between 3k-5k rpm the bike will accelerate and then immediately bog, as if the throttle is closed even though it isnt. If you ride the bike for longer the issue gets more abundant to the point where its practically unrideable. (So i havent been) However on mid to fully open throttle engine runs and pulls fine. So far ive changed fuel relay and plugs, taken out the fuel pump assembly and all seems ok.

From what im reading on here its pointing to TPS. However my bike has a nemesis ecu and i get the impression this complicates a reset. I also do not have a DDS etc etc to do at home. I do have the original ecu, however i have full akrapovic system on the bike and if i put that orig ecu back in i would need to get it flashed to the pipes (again not something i have equipment to do)

Any thoughts would be appreciated
Trendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old July 21st, 2018, 05:38 PM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

If it was running fine before then I don't think resetting the TPS would work but putting a new TPS in and resetting it might. No sense resetting a bad TPS. Just a hunch. Hope you get it solved fella!
Slickracer34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2018, 12:38 AM   #3

Fuel filter,fresh gas and check the rubber inlet manifolds
The reality of this situation maybe obscured by living room curtains.
Shrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2018, 04:29 PM   #4

This is very left field but if you have a lithium battery try swapping it for another battery and see what happens. I had this exact problem with my hyper evo SP. The bike started fine and did everything it was supposed to do but it misfired (cut out in the mid range) under greater throttle load. First thing I did was replace plugs which made almost no difference. Everything else checked out fine and finally decided to try another battery. Dropped in the original one and it was perfect.

The Lithium I had was almost 3 years old. I have encountered this scenario twice since and it seems to be something to do with the lithium battery not having even charge in all the cells. I gave my old one to a mate and he charged it on the proper charger for lithium batteries and it's now working fine.
Old July 28th, 2018, 05:43 AM   #5

ducatis in the registry:
[Monster S4 R]

Three culprits/usual suspects. Fuel, Sensor, or battery. Finnicky our mistresses sometimes may be.
Old July 28th, 2018, 06:04 AM   #6

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendawg View Post
Posting up if any of you have ideas.

My 1198 idles fine but has developed an issue when getting on initial throttle when the engine is under load. Coming out of corners and getting on the throttle or even just opening the throttle moving away from lights anywhere between 3k-5k rpm the bike will accelerate and then immediately bog, as if the throttle is closed even though it isnt. If you ride the bike for longer the issue gets more abundant to the point where its practically unrideable. (So i havent been) However on mid to fully open throttle engine runs and pulls fine. So far ive changed fuel relay and plugs, taken out the fuel pump assembly and all seems ok.

From what im reading on here its pointing to TPS. However my bike has a nemesis ecu and i get the impression this complicates a reset. I also do not have a DDS etc etc to do at home. I do have the original ecu, however i have full akrapovic system on the bike and if i put that orig ecu back in i would need to get it flashed to the pipes (again not something i have equipment to do)

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Put the original EECU in and just see how it runs. Itíll have a check engine light for the O2 sensors but it will start and run and not terribly bad. Thatís also of course if you have not eliminated the antenna for the key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ducbmwtritech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2018, 06:20 PM   #7

I have the same problem on my 2011 1198. How do you check the atenna for the key?
Reno1198SP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2018, 11:02 AM   #8

Replacing the battery fixed my misfiring/stumble at full throttle from 4-6k RPM. The bike would turn over, start and idle ok, but would not run correctly when accelerating under load.
Thanks for the suggestion to try replacing the battery, it was several years old and was causing problems.
Reno1198SP is offline   Reply With Quote