Introducing my self, and my burnt 1198S - Page 3 - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 4th, 2018, 06:45 PM   #31

No ducatis in the registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinc View Post
salvaged bikes lose 40% of the book value (in your case, lowest estimate due to fire)

Li batts in theory would require a Li-specific rectifier and Li-specific charger to work properly

that's why its priced 50 percent below blue book.
CronkP50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old August 6th, 2018, 05:50 PM   #32

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

I'm definitely worried about my RR now. Is the Shindengen FH020AA mosfet compatible with lithium batteries?
Slickracer34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2018, 07:33 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickracer34 View Post
I'm definitely worried about my RR now. Is the Shindengen FH020AA mosfet compatible with lithium batteries?
Should probly google that.

On a good note replaced all the damaged parts. Battery. Battery box. Voltage regulator and traction control unit. And it runs amamzing

And then I sold it. Purchased back for 2500. 300 in parts and sold for 6500 bucks.

Horray.
Slickracer34 likes this.
Old August 7th, 2018, 08:11 AM   #34

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

wow.. Introduced himself, fixed his bike, and sold it in one thread. Must be a record?
Previous:
'96 YZF1000R
'89 EX500
Svensken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2018, 04:15 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svensken View Post
wow.. Introduced himself, fixed his bike, and sold it in one thread. Must be a record?
Do I get a tee shirt ? Some times the stars align.
Old August 10th, 2018, 04:00 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinc View Post
salvaged bikes lose 40% of the book value (in your case, lowest estimate due to fire)

Li batts in theory would require a Li-specific rectifier and Li-specific charger to work properly

What makes a rectifier lithium specific and could you provide an example of one that currently is available?

From my knoweledge, the new panigale V4S (as well as the previous Panigale SL) comes equipped with a lithium battery but is using the standard FH020 voltage regulator found on all other non-lithium V4 models as well as previous generation Panigales. I could be wrong though
VJ020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2018, 04:29 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVickers1 View Post
Guys:
The voltage regulators get too hot, causing uncontrolled charging at the battery. The LI batteries cannot take it so they catch on fire. Very simple.
The fix is a few things - do a layer of 1.5" wide glass cloth wrap at the front cylinder header. Not all the way up to the head. Start about an inch or so away. Wrap it 8 to 10" down the pipe. Use radiator hose clamps to keep in place. Can order online.
Second item is get a sheet of glass cloth with sticky backing and aluminized front facing. Cover the outside of the battery box with it. I did 2 layers. Bought a sheet at the auto parts store. Once done, put in the NEW regulator. And by the way, once you run the bike for a while, check the interior faces of the lower bodywork for light brown discoloration. This is due to you now driving the heat rearward further down the header, so this area is now hotter. Fix there is clean the interior panel well and apply some of that aluminized glass cloth along that area as well.
You are welcome !
Its in fact a very good idea to insulate the area and reduce overall temperature to the battery, wires, and regulator.

At the same time, however, insulation would not serve a purpose if the problem was a failing voltage regulator, which is a known issue for the OEM regulator found on 1x98/848 models and further exacerbated by location, poor connectors, and oil wick issue. A better solution would be to upgrade the regulator with a more robust model such as the FH020 or SH847 that has a much lower failure rate.

Reason being, A faulty voltage regulator, even if the surrounding area is insulated well, may lead to overcharging and destruction of the battery. For a lead acid, it would be less detrimental. For a lithium, a fiery disaster would be a highly likely outcome as seen here, regardless of the brand of battery. Although I would argue some lithium batteries are made better than others, the fact remains that lithium can not be overcharged as excessive heat will be generated.
VJ020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2018, 05:24 PM   #38

I ABSOLUTELY agree with all VJ020 said. Adding the insulation stuff is just to assist the VR as it needs to freely be able to dump heat.
MRVickers1 is offline   Reply With Quote