ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts (https://www.ducati.org/forums/)
-   1098/1198 (https://www.ducati.org/forums/1098-1198/)
-   -   Introducing my self, and my burnt 1198S (https://www.ducati.org/forums/1098-1198/111727-introducing-my-self-my-burnt-1198s.html)

CronkP50 July 30th, 2018 07:55 AM

Introducing my self, and my burnt 1198S
 
2 Attachment(s)
As the title sates. made an account to say hi.

I have/had a 2009 1198s black on bronze, that recently (yesterday) had a battery melt and catch fire. Still awaiting to hear from teh insurance company to determine total loss or not, has evidence of fire damage on the frame so im not expecting good news. If it is a total loss itll be bought back salvage, and either parted or sold.

let me know what you guys think.

CronkP50 July 30th, 2018 09:36 AM

My questions is, what do you guys thinkis better todo;

reprair and sell as salvage or part?

it will be getting bought back from the insurance company.

bdaroci2010 August 1st, 2018 02:58 AM

Me personally I would buy it back and rebuild lol. Expecially with people on here having a vast amount of parts that are cheap...

But question... Did the bike have a lithium battery?

jwm2k3 August 1st, 2018 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdaroci2010 (Post 1202993)

But question... Did the bike have a lithium battery?


I'm interested in this answer as well.

I'd part it out.

CronkP50 August 1st, 2018 08:59 AM

Well, insurance totaled it out with out Even looking at it.

Payout was 12500. Buy back is 2450. So I’ll be buying it back with the intentions to rebuild and sell.

And yes. The bike had an anti gravity LI battery. The culprit.

Steer clear of them lol.

Shrek August 1st, 2018 01:54 PM

I would just walk away.. nay run.

I hate bikes that have learnt bad habits..

Take the money and go buy something else. Don’t start throwing good money away.

jwm2k3 August 1st, 2018 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CronkP50 (Post 1203021)
Well, insurance totaled it out with out Even looking at it.

Payout was 12500. Buy back is 2450. So I値l be buying it back with the intentions to rebuild and sell.

And yes. The bike had an anti gravity LI battery. The culprit.

Steer clear of them lol.

I'm betting the LI battery caught fire due to using a NON lithium battery charger. I've seen that happen many times.

These LI batteries need a specific charger.

CronkP50 August 1st, 2018 02:35 PM

Lol it’s not that bad.

CronkP50 August 1st, 2018 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwm2k3 (Post 1203037)
I'm betting the LI battery caught fire due to using a NON lithium battery charger. I've seen that happen many times.

These LI batteries need a specific charger.

Lol I’m aware they require specific chargers but It’s never been on a charger. And it’s about 18months old.

pottebaum August 1st, 2018 04:32 PM

I do not like lithium batteries. I had one in my 2010 1198 and my nemesis traction control would not work because of the battery. The ground was not good enough and it kept giving me errors. I just stick with a good old 7 lb battery that works.

You can fix the bike pretty easily. There are a ton of used parts on ebay for cheap.

CronkP50 August 1st, 2018 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pottebaum (Post 1203049)
I do not like lithium batteries. I had one in my 2010 1198 and my nemesis traction control would not work because of the battery. The ground was not good enough and it kept giving me errors. I just stick with a good old 7 lb battery that works.

You can fix the bike pretty easily. There are a ton of used parts on ebay for cheap.

Yeah, that痴 the plan. But a nice oem battery. And find one of the 1198s being parted on eBay. Then once I get the title back I値l list it for around 5500-6k. Seem like a fair price ?

Slickracer34 August 1st, 2018 05:18 PM

This has me worried. I've had the same battery in my 1098 for 4 years now and I only do 5 or 6 trackdays a year and it's never been on a charger. What caused the battery to catch fire?

CronkP50 August 1st, 2018 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slickracer34 (Post 1203053)
This has me worried. I've had the same battery in my 1098 for 4 years now and I only do 5 or 6 trackdays a year and it's never been on a charger. What caused the battery to catch fire?

Most likely an internal failure of the material between the anode and cathode causing a thermal runaway. I知 an engineer by trade so Once I get it out and fully dead I知 taking it apart. But it certainly melted a cell. Which all points to that.

Slickracer34 August 1st, 2018 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CronkP50 (Post 1203055)
Most likely an internal failure of the material between the anode and cathode causing a thermal runaway. I知 an engineer by trade so Once I get it out and fully dead I知 taking it apart. But it certainly melted a cell. Which all points to that.

I'll keep an eye on this thread to see what you find out once you get it apart. Sorry about your bike my friend.

CronkP50 August 1st, 2018 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slickracer34 (Post 1203057)
I'll keep an eye on this thread to see what you find out once you get it apart. Sorry about your bike my friend.


Yeah for sure, it痴 a shame but thank goodness for full coverage. I値l def be updating it as I rebuild it too. Probly be Friday when I take the batery apart.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.