eBay rectifier/regulator anyone bought - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 31st, 2018, 03:06 AM   #1

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

eBay rectifier/regulator anyone bought

Hi guys my 1098 cut out today with a 5.2 error.

I have installed a new battery and got it home just!
Battery is showing 11.4v and is now on ctek charger

Next thing to try is the rectifier/regulator so I bought one on fleabay for 50 bux.

Question is has anyone installed one of these eBay models and have they had any issues so far.

Got a quote for a oem 220 bux, for what it is I'm thinking that's a bit of silly money.
If the RR doesn't cut it I will look into a new stator but from most of the research I've read it looks to be the problem.
I will install a heat shield of some description when it arrives.

Any feedback much appreciated.
I will add my findings when I get a chance to install.
Cooperville is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old July 31st, 2018, 05:53 AM   #2

No ducatis in the registry

For what its worth about a month ago on a ride I was getting 5.2 error then 5.1 and the bike died. New regulator and battery solved the problem. No idea about ebay RR, I got an OEM one.
alphadelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2018, 10:22 AM   #3

Most 1198, 1098 and 848 owners switches to the Shindengen FH020AA mosfet. Not some crappy fleebay part.
Svensken and Cooperville like this.
Dutch848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2018, 10:22 PM   #4

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

I am going to give the bay on a go as I have to wait for the parts to come from the states

I worked on the bike today and this is what I have found the plug was in such poor condition and clearly had a short at some stage.

I have installed a new plug and hard wired temporarily to see if this was actually my charging problem but its not

Will not be installing the new RR for a few weeks as I am going to be away for work but will keep you all informed.
Attached Images

Old August 1st, 2018, 08:01 AM   #5

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

No need to keep us informed. RR replacement has been covered extensively on this forum. Search function will give you all you need, if you still need guidance.
Cooperville likes this.
Previous:
'96 YZF1000R
'89 EX500
Svensken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2018, 04:17 PM   #6

From my research across different forums, ebay (made in china) alternative regulators that are of the series type tend to fail prematurely anywhere between one month to one year after installation across difference bikes (RSV4, GSXR, 1098). The main cause is poor soldering/circuitry within, a problem which is will only be accelerated by heat from location of the regulator (ex. near manifold), climate (hot weather, stop and go traffic riding), and also when voltage draw is reduced from original design by the owner (such as installing leds, led/hid headlights, or riding without the headlights).

In contrast, OEM regulators undergo stricter quality control and therefore are more robust against conditions listed above. They last much, much longer but are not immune. Considering you can easily source an almost new regulator off parted out bikes on ebay and forums for around $50-$70, it is more cost effective to go with OEM than no-name made in china replicas for almost the same cost.
Cooperville likes this.
VJ020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2018, 06:47 PM   #7

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

I have a Shindengen RR on order right now. Does anyone know the reason why a lot of guys are using the Triumph cables to install the new RR?
Slickracer34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2018, 07:05 PM   #8

ducatis in the registry:
[996]

Yes. Because the Triumph cables allow plug and play operation with the three and two wiring connectors on the modern MOSFET RRs. And the cable is about $15.

By the way, look on eBay for an RR from a BMW S1000RR-I bought one for like $20. A number of other modern sport bikes use the same p/n. I don't have a list but I believe at least R1s and maybe CBR1000RR?

Anyway, do a search by the Shindengen p/n (it's around here somewhere).
Slickracer34 likes this.
orionengnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2018, 06:23 AM   #9

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Quote:
Originally Posted by orionengnr View Post
Yes. Because the Triumph cables allow plug and play operation with the three and two wiring connectors on the modern MOSFET RRs. And the cable is about $15.

By the way, look on eBay for an RR from a BMW S1000RR-I bought one for like $20. A number of other modern sport bikes use the same p/n. I don't have a list but I believe at least R1s and maybe CBR1000RR?

Anyway, do a search by the Shindengen p/n (it's around here somewhere).
Awesome thanks! I think I found the Triumph p/n, (T2500676). Also the closest Ducati dealer to me is also a Triumph dealer so I'll give them a call and order one.
Old August 11th, 2018, 06:50 AM   #10

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Regarding the wicking from stator ;
After a week away I got home and checked the new connector I had re- terminated and sure enough clean oil coming from inside the insulation and plenty of it nearly dripping!! out the plug. I didnít take a photo for proof but installed my new eBay rectifier/regulator but located the wiring so that the wire coming from stator was higher than where the wires come out of casing I will keep an eye on it and let you know if it has stopped the oil from travelling down to connector
Slickracer34 likes this.
Old August 11th, 2018, 07:25 AM   #11

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperville View Post
Regarding the wicking from stator ;
After a week away I got home and checked the new connector I had re- terminated and sure enough clean oil coming from inside the insulation and plenty of it nearly dripping!! out the plug. I didnít take a photo for proof but installed my new eBay rectifier/regulator but located the wiring so that the wire coming from stator was higher than where the wires come out of casing I will keep an eye on it and let you know if it has stopped the oil from travelling down to connector
I will definitely check for the oil wick issue and possible fixes for it when I install my new RR.
Cooperville likes this.
Old August 15th, 2018, 08:02 AM   #12

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Ok after one ride gently covering a brake pad change also I find the Ducati without any power what so- ever it wonít even light up the dash.
Expecting it to be the r/r.

I have contacted Jason at motoelectrics

I hope this is the right guy but all the same I am asking for a new r/r though his business

The. eBay chainese burnt out across the connectors in one foul swoop

Yes there are a lot of threads on the subject but I want to share my experience

If going to buy the part from flea bay b warned
Going through EBay jasonmotoelectrix eBay for Now.

THe wires definitely wick oil From stator side im going to fit a new r/r to the exhaust servo mount.to alleviate wicking from the stator.
Dutch848 and Slickracer34 like this.
Old August 17th, 2018, 02:44 AM   #13

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

No power still at all

i have checked all the fuses and they all look good
Checked terminals all good
Battery brand new at 13.4v
30amp fuse looks good

I actually bought a new r/r from Jack at roadster cycles .com
So it will be on its way
He has been very helpful

If the regulator is stuffed I thought you should still be able to get power to the dash and fuel pump but I have nothing

Does anyone know if I am missing something
Itís got me a little concerned that I may have damaged the ecu but I donít know
Old August 17th, 2018, 05:10 AM   #14

I don't have a 1098/1198 but I can tell you that you should have power to the bike and be able to start it and run good. I have a monster s4r and having charging issues as well. I removed my rr completely for diode testing and was still able to start my bike and ride it.
SpoolinVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2018, 10:44 AM   #15

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Yeah that's what I thought
Im now wondering if I have an issue with the key

I only have one key and it did come into contact with a strong magnet last week as I was working on a friends pool pump

Does anyone know if that would damage the keys security ability?