1098 top end rebuild - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 17th, 2018, 02:51 PM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

1098 top end rebuild

Newbie and introducing myself. Read Pats rebuild thread with interest and looking for pointers as also covered 50k miles. Barrels now replated with new pistons etc. Also ridiculously expensive in the uk.
Hereís pic of why I stripped top end after finding bits in mesh strainer during service. Bike was running fine.
Attached Images

Geoffduk1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old September 18th, 2018, 01:22 PM   #2

No ducatis in the registry

Ring gap help

Looking for some advice Barrels have been re plated by Langcourt in the uk to match my new oem ducati pistons but Iooking for advice on ring gap. Langcourt suggest a minimum of 0.3mm. From the internet thereís tables giving advice on ring gap which takes into account bore Diameter which makes sense and for my 1098 itís 0.4mm on upper ring and 0.5mm on lower ring with oil rings around 0.4mm. In the ducati service manual for my 1098 it doesnít differentiate bore size and gives a range 0.2 to 0.4mm for 1st and 2nd ring with 0.2mm for oil rings. From the box I measure 0.21mm for 1st and 0.33mm for second with 0.21mm for oil rings. Basically Iím within the spec of ducati but half what other engine builders suggest. Iíve compared my old rings and measure around 0.03mm bigger on all rings but not a fair measurement as based on newly plated bores as didnít check before plating. In parallel Iím rebuilding my 150k miles monster 1000 and with new rings from the box I measure 1st at 0.4mm and 2nd at 0.45mm which are in line with other internet advice. As langcourt suggest itís better to have less compression than a seized engine! advice very much appreciated.
Geoffduk1098 is offline   Reply With Quote