Rear Break Rotor/Caliper Damage - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Buhgaboo
  • 2 Post By pat1098

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 11th, 2019, 03:50 PM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

Rear Break Rotor/Caliper Damage

Hello Ducati World

New to this forum... but not new to Ducati. Used to be a member of 1098-forum and then Ducati-superbikes.com both have believe are no longer.

I have a 2007 1098 bought brand new many years ago. Started riding again. And going back through the small little details.

Went riding and rear break gave out. After I finished my ride, saw the damage and damn... break pads melted and I believe pretty much ruined the rotors after hitting metal on metal.

I’ve ordered break pads. And can’t find the rear axle nut tool so ordered that as well.

Anyone can suggest if the rotors are shot to hell? Or can still keep them?

I know without pictures this post is worthless so I’ll post pictures shortly.

Thanks

Ji
jijalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old June 11th, 2019, 06:36 PM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[Monster 821]

Gave out or locked up? Is anything blue? Might be that the pushrod had no Freeplay...if that was the case then rotor caliper and pads are going to all need to be replaced
Buhgaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2019, 03:16 PM   #3

Alright, finally had some time and the rear nut tool came in... took apart the wheel and caliper.. this is what I see...

Looks like the piston (i believe that's the right name) got forced out.. and pretty much melted.. causing the break pad to wear out.. and the break pad metal holder to push on the rotor and go metal on metal.

Is this something that can be repaired? Or am I looking at purchasing a new caliper and rotor?
Attached Images

Old June 14th, 2019, 03:28 PM   #4

ducatis in the registry:
[Monster 821]

That's fried ..and this is what happens when the fluid can't return into the master....before you put the new ones on....make certain there is 1-2mm of Freeplay on the pushrod...if your using it to move the brake pedal it's blocking the return port and is going to happen again
...as the fluid expands from heat/use it can't return to the reservoir so it expands any way it can...locking the brake
cbr6 and Svensken like this.

Last edited by Buhgaboo; June 14th, 2019 at 03:31 PM.
Old June 14th, 2019, 07:52 PM   #5

So need new calipers?
Old June 14th, 2019, 09:36 PM   #6

ducatis in the registry:
[Monster 821]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jijalicious View Post
So need new calipers?
Yep
Old June 15th, 2019, 05:53 AM   #7

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Much more importantly, you need to read and completely understand post #4. Otherwise you will ruin another rotor, caliper, pads. Someone adjusted the rear brake pedal stop incorrectly and this is the underlying cause.
Previous:
'96 YZF1000R
'89 EX500
Svensken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2019, 05:54 PM   #8

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

This is some serious damage, and could have ended up with a lock-up and a crash, so yes - this is critical!
As others have mentioned, this is symptomatic of some maladjustment of the brake actuation at the pedal. Either that, or you have been riding with your foot inadvertently resting on the brake pedal.
Perhaps the brake system required bleeding, and you simply 'adjusted it up' to compensate for the soft pedal. If this was the story, you have probably adjusted it such that the fluid cannot 'bleed back' after use (as mentioned above) and the brake has had some constant hydraulic pressure on it.
So be very certain on reassembly that there is no 'preload' against the hydraulics or it may only happen again. Many problems have been reported here by folk who have made a 'minor adjustment', or fitted non-original pedals or levers, only to end up in this same situation.
A very expensive lesson. Understand that after application of the brake (or clutch) the hydraulic fluid needs to be able to return to the non-pressurised side of the system, and incorrect adjustment can prevent this by not returning far enough to allow the piston to expose the 'bleed-back hole' in the master cylinder.
lextech and Burb.T like this.
pat1098 is offline   Reply With Quote