1098 gearbox question. - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 17th, 2019, 08:51 PM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

1098 gearbox question.

G'day all,
My 08' base 1098 has developed some play in the driveline resulting in an annoying rattle sound while riding.

https://youtu.be/G0fHlFMlsvQ

As you can see in the video clip, there is some movement of the forward sprocket before it is opposed by the input shaft. As I understand there should not be any.

This happens in all gears. Anyone seen this before? I havent had time to pull the stator cover and inspect the shift mechanism. Could this be something more sinister like worn/snapped dogs on gears? Worn shift forks maybe?

All will be revealed one day, but I thought I would get some opinions. In the meantime she will remain in the Ducati's natural habitat. The shed.
Remove Ads
Old October 6th, 2019, 04:16 PM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

I'm not sure where your noise is coming from but that play in the front sprocket is normal, every chain driven motorcyle I've ever owned has done that. I had a GSXR 750 that had a worn chain and would make a clunk noise when pulling off from a stop, it might be worth it to look at the rollers on the chain , rear cush drive bushings , and sprockets. Good luck
lextech is online now   Reply With Quote