1098 cold start - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By cbr6
  • 1 Post By dy20

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 6th, 2019, 11:27 PM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

1098 cold start

Hi, I have a track-only 1098. I use it sporadically on track and it does not start easily.

Often (when it is cold and the bike hasn't been used for a month or so) the engine requires a lot of time and attempts to start.

The battery and ignition work fine. I even replaced the battery.

I press the ignition button, hear the engine cranking but it doesnt start. I have to try sometimes 15-20 times or so until the engine starts.
It is basically like your typical cold engine that takes some time to start....the only issue is that it takes 5 minutes and 20 attempts.
After the first time then it starts just fine.

Interested to know if anyone has run into a similar issue?

Thanks in advance
Vito
vituzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old October 9th, 2019, 07:11 AM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[848 EVO]

maybe your injectors are dirty/pluged up. try adding some sea foam additive to your fuel, start your bike and run it for at least 30 minutes, if there is any gum in the system that should clear it out.
ccs273 likes this.
cbr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2019, 09:38 AM   #3

I had similar issues on my 1098R. In my case, it was a worn sprag-clutch. Consider looking into this. Hope it helps.
ccs273 likes this.
dy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2019, 12:31 AM   #4

If your bike has a lightweight flywheel it will make cold starts considerably harder. I use to use a bit of quickstart on cool mornings. Spray a bit into each intake duct and fires right up.
Sk8sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2019, 08:24 AM   #5

starting 1098

I just bought a 2007 1098 so I don't have any experience. I know the book says to let it start on it's own with out giving it any gas but same here, seemed to take to many tries to start so I give a little gas on the second try and it starts right up...
donnieko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2019, 03:52 PM   #6

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

I agree. I need to twist the throttle once in a while to cold start. I upgraded to the wire conversion kit with larger and better components. That really helped all around.
Vetten76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2019, 08:47 PM   #7

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

2007 1098 here, same hard cold start issue— what has helped me is turning the key to get the fuel pump priming, wait about 20-30 seconds then push the starter. This seems to works most times for me...
Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greg328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2019, 09:59 AM   #8

Take up all slack in throttle by twisting until you just feel it pull on the TB. Turn just a little more and hold it the entire time the bike is cranking. remember to release the starter button after bike starter engages. Holding it down will cause all sorts of issues. after it cranks, turn throttle to about 3000 rpm and hold for thirty seconds. Let bike completely warm to 160 before you ride. It will get better with time. The actual problem is the TPS sensor adjustment idle fuel setting. The ecu can re learn the fuel setting but cannot relearn the TPS 0...

Please let me know if this helps or not. It can be all sorts of things from dirty terminals to bad regulator to cam timing. Almost always Voltage and TPS.

YES: I have had the same issue!

Last edited by parrish37; November 21st, 2019 at 10:01 AM.
parrish37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2019, 10:04 AM   #9

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Thanks Parrish. Is there a way to determine, via the VIN range, which 2007 1098s were shipped with the bad cams? And if we have one of those, is it still a warranty item?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greg328 is offline   Reply With Quote