1098 Left me sit for the 5th time this year - Page 2 - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 20th, 2019, 12:40 AM   #16

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svensken View Post
For those of you with 2007s - There are some characteristics that are specific:
The cams are not 'bad', they are different and the locking tool for setting timing can't be used.
ECU maps can be used to mask the stalling issue. Best fix is degree the cams.
Main bearings were installed with excessive preload. The engines are too tight and fail.
Some pistons were installed improperly.
Also - early ones had a thinner rear axle so the nut torque should be 200Nm not 230 Nm.

There is so much to read on the stalling issues and not all apply to every bike.

The following issues apply to all 1x98/848:
TPS sensors - they fail, they need reset, they are annoying...
Voltage regulators cause all sorts of issues - replace with Mosfet
Kickstand, clutch, engine off switches all can get corroded and cause stalls
Throttle body links get wear causing uneven opening - perform throttle sync (and TPS reset after)
Idle bypass screws are the base idle mixture screws - have someone knowledgeable set them up
Improper warmup. These bikes should not be ridden cold. It upsets the way the program gets through the enrichment cycle.
Incomplete warmup. If you start it, let it warm up completely or it will be hard to start next time.
Intake valve deposits cause lean running cold. Only fix is mechanical cleaning of the valves.
Fuel hose pops off the fuel filter - replace the filter and install new hose clamps
Rod bolts stretch causing rod bearing failure. Replace before they break...
Any run time on it's side will cause oil starvation and eventual bearing failure. Be warned when it comes to used bikes...

Also clutch drag can cause stalling at intersections.

Then there is the whole starter setup... The battery, cables, and basic tuneup need to be in good shape to keep from overloading the starter motor and sprag. If you replace the sprag spring in time, the rest of the components will hold up better.

Probably lots more issues that I've forgotten. Now you are aware and can spend hours reading through what people have found before (which is what I did)
thats some great gathered up info. thanks i m saving it for future reference.
fuzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old November 20th, 2019, 05:26 PM   #17

No ducatis in the registry

My brother has a 2007 1098 and it too has intermittent stalling issues. There’s a ton of reasons why that could be happening.

Since your already so invested in the bike and relatively close by I would take it to Donnie at Duc Pond Motorsports in Winchester, Va. He’s the owner, a certified Ducati Master mechanic and ex Ducati racer. He also seems to have a seemingly unlimited wealth of knowledge about all Ducatis. Beyond basic maintenance he builds custom race bikes and is a regular at all the local track events. If he can’t fix it or at least find the problem then who knows.

I‘m not affiliated with him/Duc Pond in any way other than its where I take my 899 for its yearly checkup and had it mapped. Also a great place to swing by and have a good conversation.

Seriously check them out.
TacoDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2019, 12:35 AM   #18

You were robbed by incompetent mechanics. They threw parts at it to resolve an issue instead of isolating the issue. I’ve seen this done time and time again at various dealerships, when all it takes is a competent staff.
NoTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2019, 01:20 AM   #19

OP. It may be related to the charcoal canister. Tons of documented hard starting and stall at idle issues there. I think most dealers won’t touch it but you could try removing it and see if that helps.
NoTec and Svensken like this.
TacoDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2019, 12:53 PM   #20

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDiego View Post
OP. It may be related to the charcoal canister. Tons of documented hard starting and stall at idle issues there. I think most dealers won’t touch it but you could try removing it and see if that helps.
Thanks for the reminder about the carbon canister. I added that to the list of issues
Previous:
'96 YZF1000R
'89 EX500
Svensken is online now   Reply With Quote