1098 Left me sit for the 5th time this year - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 13th, 2019, 06:41 PM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

1098 Left me sit for the 5th time this year

2007 1098. I Just had a $1000+ service done at the dealer after a $3100+ service done earlier in the summer, had the 15k service done, replaced tensioner rollers, starter, starter clutch, spag, brand new stock yuasa battery, wiring, etc. (see receipts/pics for parts replaced)

Since I got it back from the most recent service, now it also constantly stalls when stopped/idle... So not only did I spend $1000+ and not have the problem fixed; it now runs even worse than before I took it in...

Im scared to ride this bike anywhere. Got the bike back monday and went to get gas 2 miles up the road and it let me sit again. Ive owned the bike for 2 years, put less than 150 total miles on it, put $1000s into it, problem after problem after problem.

Seems like if the battery isnt 100% charged, it will not start. If it doesnt start on the first try, there is no chance. 12.9 volts + on the tender it always starts, if it gets down to 12.3-12.4 volts, forget about it.

Im in over $10,000 (including sale price) on this bike and it runs worse than that day i bought it. Im about to cut my losses, Any suggestions before I do? Im on my last shred of sanity and its fading fast.

https://i.ibb.co/kQHjkjR/IMG-3850.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/F04PZCf/IMG-3849.jpg
Millerdecaxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old November 13th, 2019, 06:46 PM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[848 EVO]

find a competent mechanic
NoTec, Tric and Dutch848 like this.
cbr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2019, 06:50 PM   #3

And can ya'll also go over parts/prices and see if anything seems off/like theyre screwing me? Unneeded parts? I know prices are high due to being at a dealer + is italian, but I still feel like something isnt right.

Also, Can I call them up and ask for some money back or something? What would you all do if you spent $1000+ and original problem wasnt fixed and it came back with even more problems?
Old November 14th, 2019, 09:47 AM   #4

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

I'd assume the dealer has some sort of warranty on the work that they do, so I'd call the service manager and explain your concerns. Is it a Ducati-only dealership? Is there more than one mechanic. Can you find another dealer or an independent mechanic that you can trust?

Pjk
Peter Krynicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2019, 10:20 AM   #5

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Unless the dealer did some specific work that you can find fault with, they are not liable. You bought a used bike from a private party and it had problems from the get-go. The dealer needs to be paid for their time trying to correct the issue. I would work with them to maybe get some additional diagnostic time for free or a reduced rate.

After that you have to try another mechanic and make sure that person gets as much background info as possible. Or part it out...
Previous:
'96 YZF1000R
'89 EX500
Svensken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2019, 01:10 PM   #6

They do seem to be finicky starters. If had mine cut out on my twice while coming to a stop at idle... but started right back up on first try.
Not sure if there is a way to adjust the idle a bit higher? Or?
With repeated hard starting, you will wear a starter out... I get that... but you'd think there has to be something behind it other than just the mass of two fairly big cylinders needing so much energy to get moving.
2003 RC51 (RIP)
2008 1098R
MidwestR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2019, 01:54 PM   #7

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

OP, you originally gave your model as a '08. Is it actually a '07? 2007 is the first year and had a long list of issues, including stalling. The cams were different and so you can't use the special tool to lock the cams during belt replacement as the timing will be off. The ECU also probably needs a reflash. Another thing to keep in mind is that Lithium ion batteries (assuming you still have) do not work well cold. Lithium batteries need to have some electron flow to 'warm up' if it is under 50F - most leave their lights/ign on for a few minutes.
Previous:
'96 YZF1000R
'89 EX500
Old November 15th, 2019, 02:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svensken View Post
OP, you originally gave your model as a '08. Is it actually a '07? 2007 is the first year and had a long list of issues, including stalling. The cams were different and so you can't use the special tool to lock the cams during belt replacement as the timing will be off. The ECU also probably needs a reflash. Another thing to keep in mind is that Lithium ion batteries (assuming you still have) do not work well cold. Lithium batteries need to have some electron flow to 'warm up' if it is under 50F - most leave their lights/ign on for a few minutes.
Interesting about the cams. My 1098S is a very early one, January 07 and stalls approaching a stop occasionally. Was there a fix for the cam problem?
mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2019, 04:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullet View Post
Interesting about the cams. My 1098S is a very early one, January 07 and stalls approaching a stop occasionally. Was there a fix for the cam problem?
I'm curious about this cam deal as well. Bought my 2007 1098S a few months back and it also randomly stalls approaching a stop, or at a stop. New map installed and throttle body sync already done (runs much better, but not 100%).

2007 1098S (1st Ducati)
2014 Yamaha FZ1 (commuter)
SprBkGPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2019, 04:18 PM   #10

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

search function... I'm not going to go through and read hours of info to you...
Previous:
'96 YZF1000R
'89 EX500
Old November 15th, 2019, 04:32 PM   #11

Quote:
search function... I'm not going to go through and read hours of info to you...
"Search Function" = kind of obvious. Been there, and haven't found the correct thread yet for my questions. Since you brought it up, I figured you had some personal experience. Sorry to of bothered you, have a nice day.

2007 1098S (1st Ducati)
Old November 15th, 2019, 04:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Yes it is a 2007. Dealer is certified in Ducati, but also service other japanese bikes. And i recently put in a new oem Yuasa acid battery. I had a WPS lithium in before but read some bad things about lithiums in the older Ducatis so bought a stock Yuasa.

and I just got the 15,000 mile service done ~50 miles ago, do they mess around with the cams?

For the guys that have stalling issues, how often does it happen? I recall mine stalling a time or 2 over the past 2 years, but now since i got it back from the dealer, its about every other stop light.
Old November 15th, 2019, 08:05 PM   #13

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

For those of you with 2007s - There are some characteristics that are specific:
The cams are not 'bad', they are different and the locking tool for setting timing can't be used.
ECU maps can be used to mask the stalling issue. Best fix is degree the cams.
Main bearings were installed with excessive preload. The engines are too tight and fail.
Some pistons were installed improperly.
Also - early ones had a thinner rear axle so the nut torque should be 200Nm not 230 Nm.

There is so much to read on the stalling issues and not all apply to every bike.

The following issues apply to all 1x98/848:
TPS sensors - they fail, they need reset, they are annoying...
Voltage regulators cause all sorts of issues - replace with Mosfet
Kickstand, clutch, engine off switches all can get corroded and cause stalls
Throttle body links get wear causing uneven opening - perform throttle sync (and TPS reset after)
Idle bypass screws are the base idle mixture screws - have someone knowledgeable set them up
Carbon canister fills up with fuel - remove the whole system.
Improper warmup. These bikes should not be ridden cold. It upsets the way the program gets through the enrichment cycle.
Incomplete warmup. If you start it, let it warm up completely or it will be hard to start next time.
Intake valve deposits cause lean running cold. Only fix is mechanical cleaning of the valves.
Fuel hose pops off the fuel filter - replace the filter and install new hose clamps
Rod bolts stretch causing rod bearing failure. Replace before they break...
Any run time on it's side will cause oil starvation and eventual bearing failure. Be warned when it comes to used bikes...

Also clutch drag can cause stalling at intersections.

Then there is the whole starter setup... The battery, cables, and basic tuneup need to be in good shape to keep from overloading the starter motor and sprag. If you replace the sprag spring in time, the rest of the components will hold up better.

Probably lots more issues that I've forgotten. Now you are aware and can spend hours reading through what people have found before (which is what I did)
fuzion likes this.
Previous:
'96 YZF1000R
'89 EX500

Last edited by Svensken; November 21st, 2019 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Thought of more stuff to add
Old November 16th, 2019, 12:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millerdecaxc View Post
Yes it is a 2007. Dealer is certified in Ducati, but also service other japanese bikes. And i recently put in a new oem Yuasa acid battery. I had a WPS lithium in before but read some bad things about lithiums in the older Ducatis so bought a stock Yuasa.

and I just got the 15,000 mile service done ~50 miles ago, do they mess around with the cams?

For the guys that have stalling issues, how often does it happen? I recall mine stalling a time or 2 over the past 2 years, but now since i got it back from the dealer, its about every other stop light.
Mine was stalling about every other light as well. Not as bad now, but still does at least once a ride (70 ish miles). I’ve also gotten in a habit of keeping rpm’s up a little so it doesn’t stall.

2007 1098S (1st Ducati)
Old November 19th, 2019, 11:19 PM   #15

Getting my 1098S cams checked with a degree wheel in a couple of weeks. It dies approaching stop lights etc, worse when hot. It’s a very early one, number 72.
Will get back on here with the outcome.
SprBkGPa likes this.
mullet is offline   Reply With Quote