I'm torn 1098S vs 848 evo - Page 2 - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 4th, 2020, 06:23 PM   #16

ducatis in the registry:
[848 EVO]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchase View Post
Good advice, I will say I had zero TD experience prior to the purchase of my 848. But I did put 5k miles on before I brought it to the track.

I know this is ďcontroversialĒ IMHO tracking a harder to ride bike can make you a better rider (can), Iíve seen 300s and 1000s go down, learning to be a good rider is physical, mental and the bike. Iím willing to bet if I got on an comparable Japanese stock bike Iíd be 3 seconds faster on my average lap times.

But absolutely nothing wrong with your advice and itís probably exactly what the experts would say, and Iím no expert just a guy with lots of opinions, many of them ďwrongĒ lol

If the OP is dead set on either of these bikes Iíd still say go with the 1098, but like I said before there has to be more 848s I see them all the time 6-8k.
Sounds fair Tyler, would be easier to advise the op if we actually new them. East coast TD newbies would most likely high side their selves with either Ducati, and no one in Cali. does rain TD's. I would still recommend nice Ducati for street and cheap Japanese small bike to start track days, then get a nice Ducati to track latter, maybe even a sweet match set your set up is bad ass.
Tchase likes this.
cbr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old January 4th, 2020, 07:10 PM   #17
Court Jester

No ducatis in the registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr6 View Post
Sounds fair Tyler, would be easier to advise the op if we actually new them. East coast TD newbies would most likely high side their selves with either Ducati, and no one in Cali. does rain TD's. I would still recommend nice Ducati for street and cheap Japanese small bike to start track days, then get a nice Ducati to track latter, maybe even a sweet match set your set up is bad ass.
I know Iím jinxing myself.. Every year you have typically two types that go off. The over confident newbs and the over confident ďexpertsĒ.

My first TD ever was rain all day and itís probably really good that it was...

Fast forward 5 years later my brother in-law (we started TDs together) who only works 3 days a week volunteers corner work and has gotten in deep with the crowd. Me on the other had Iím very introverted in person and I do work 5 days a week :/. Anyhow... you know some people riding is natural I think Iím one of them and my bro in-law not so much.. Iím not saying Iím expert.. but back to my story we were at a track we donít go to often. It was drizzle in the morning and this track is notorious for a couple spots that may not dry up all day and have moss.. First session Iím suggesting we sit out, heís all amped to go. He says letís just just do a sighting lap... Iím like fine.. I get my helmet on turn around and he is at the entry... I get to entry he is gone, I get to turn 6 and he is down with a broken collarbone... he of all people knows the importance of riding on cold tires, and still insists he wasnít going fast..

I have to give this forum a lot of credit in not only helping me mechanically on the bike, but my riding skill just as much. Not only full gear all the time but good gear. When I broke my collarbone on the surface street (full gear) I stepped up to an air suit. I also do not go more than two TDs on a set of tires I donít care if there is more life in the tire, confidence is very important.

I guess what Iím saying East or west you have the riders that have too much bike, too much ego, or both. I try to stay humble and respectful of the bike.

And wow having a good instructor is huge! Iím still in awe of my instructor last year, he would be sliding around corners at a pace I couldnít touch..

I will never go away from the 848 but I do wonder how Iíd do on another make.
Old January 5th, 2020, 10:10 AM   #18

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

Quote:
it doesn't sound like you have a lot of track or even sportbike experience, if you're wanting to do track days and are set on doing it with a Ducati get an 848. The 1098 has a ton of torque and would probably get you in trouble learning to track. A 848has a lot of torque too for new track rider. Really if your short on experience but fair on cash buy a nice Ducati for street, and something like a Suzuki SV650 to start your track day career. If you like it and progress you'll be able to sell the small bike and get a faster bike latter. You can usually find a good track SV for $2500 or a little less. If you don't like track riding you can sell and probably not lose any cash.
After riding on the track with my 1098 for the last 4 years I agree with you 100 percent , I think the 848 would have made a better track bike for me especially at smaller tracks.
lextech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2020, 11:07 AM   #19

Quote:
it doesn't sound like you have a lot of track or even sportbike experience, if you're wanting to do track days and are set on doing it with a Ducati get an 848. The 1098 has a ton of torque and would probably get you in trouble learning to track. A 848has a lot of torque too for new track rider. Really if your short on experience but fair on cash buy a nice Ducati for street, and something like a Suzuki SV650 to start your track day career. If you like it and progress you'll be able to sell the small bike and get a faster bike latter. You can usually find a good track SV for $2500 or a little less. If you don't like track riding you can sell and probably not lose any cash.

Hey guys, thanks for the input. A little bit about me. This will be my 5th bike and first Ducati. I've customs, and sport bikes. I had an R6 that I'd take to TD's up at Pacific Raceway in Seattle and have done them in the rain too. I'm by no means a pro but not a newbie either. Just a guy that likes to have fun on bikes. Track day's won't be too many, but if I get the urge, I'll go. Mainly city, back road and canyons for me. This is a great page with lots of good advice though. Thank yu for not beating me up.
Tchase likes this.
everybodyduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2020, 11:18 AM   #20

Quote:
I guess what Iím saying East or west you have the riders that have too much bike, too much ego, or both. I try to stay humble and respectful of the bike.

I agree with this 100% I always stay a little bit afraid of my bikes just so I don't get too cocky.
Old January 6th, 2020, 11:19 AM   #21
Court Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by everybodyduc View Post
Hey guys, thanks for the input. A little bit about me. This will be my 5th bike and first Ducati. I've customs, and sport bikes. I had an R6 that I'd take to TD's up at Pacific Raceway in Seattle and have done them in the rain too. I'm by no means a pro but not a newbie either. Just a guy that likes to have fun on bikes. Track day's won't be too many, but if I get the urge, I'll go. Mainly city, back road and canyons for me. This is a great page with lots of good advice though. Thank yu for not beating me up.
The Ridge is my home base, occasionally do PR, maybe we will see each other out there!
Old January 6th, 2020, 11:46 AM   #22

Quote:
The Ridge is my home base, occasionally do PR, maybe we will see each other out there!

If I still lived there. I'm in SoCal now and will be moving to Scottsdale in a few months
Old January 8th, 2020, 11:09 AM   #23

Well I ended up getting a 2013 1199 Panigale R. I pick it up this afternoon. Guess I was really torn!
cbr6 likes this.
Old January 8th, 2020, 11:59 AM   #24

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Worst streetbike evah...
Previous:
'96 YZF1000R
'89 EX500
Svensken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2020, 12:10 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by everybodyduc View Post
Well I ended up getting a 2013 1199 Panigale R. I pick it up this afternoon. Guess I was really torn!
Nice! Post some pics if the beast.
tboooe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2020, 02:26 PM   #26
Court Jester

Great looking bike, I have not had the chance to ride one. I did ride the 899 and it was a bit twitchy for me..

But I have to say 848 to 1199 that's a ocean of differences
Old January 8th, 2020, 03:42 PM   #27

Thanks, yeah I didn't get it yet. I went and looked at it and the PO spent some cash on the extras. So now it's between the 1098S or the 1199R. I'm hoping to have one by the weekend. Will post pics when I make up my damn mind haha
Old January 8th, 2020, 10:28 PM   #28

ducatis in the registry:
[848 EVO]

Go the 1098S if you have been riding for a few years. If not go the 848Evo
Either bike is a lot of fun and both plenty of poke. The 1098S will have the Ohlins suspension at both ends while the 848 Evo has the standard Sachs shock and forks if I remember correctly. As I said with either bike you will have heaps of fun and you will come to realize why Ducatis are such an awesome bike compared to other European and Japanese machines.
hages63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2020, 09:47 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hages63 View Post
Go the 1098S if you have been riding for a few years. If not go the 848Evo
Either bike is a lot of fun and both plenty of poke. The 1098S will have the Ohlins suspension at both ends while the 848 Evo has the standard Sachs shock and forks if I remember correctly. As I said with either bike you will have heaps of fun and you will come to realize why Ducatis are such an awesome bike compared to other European and Japanese machines.

Thank you for the advice. I am still kinda leaning towards the 1098S. the 848 is off the table. I do like the riding aids of the 1199 though. I've always wanted a Ducati and I want my first one to be special
Old January 9th, 2020, 03:10 PM   #30

Okay. I'm going with the 1098S!! I'm going to try and get it tonight. if not tomorrow. Pics to follow. Thank you guys for putting up with me and all the great advice. I'm sure I'll have many more questions once I pick it up
fuzion likes this.