Need insight--1098 flywheel/magnet-8 bolts sheared off - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 18th, 2020, 02:38 PM   #1

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Need insight--1098 flywheel/magnet-8 bolts sheared off

Hello--need some insight into what may have caused the following--my friend's 2007 1098 suffered a charging failure--after diagnosing the issue--I surmised a bad stator--as battery and upgraded Mosfet VR are new---stator is original and 13 years old.

We removed the left-side engine cover, to reveal that the stator was chewed up, 8 partial T25 Torx bolts rested inside the stator, and the circular barrel magnet was magnetically attached to the stator, not to the flywheel as originally attached/intended. At first glance I thought maybe the 8 bolts simply worked themselves out, but no, they were all sheared off and about half length. I've yet to remove the 30mm flywheel bolt to access the assembly, but soon will.

What sort of force could have caused this? Something tremendous must have occurred to provide enough force to twist off the magnet from the flywheel. Of course, the magnet is normally secured to the flywheel via the (8) T25 Torx bolts, inserted through to thread into the circular starter sprag boss. Could the sprag clutch have seized, thereby preventing rotation (in the free direction) and caused this?

Smart minds please chime in! I will repair for him, but would like some insight and opinions on what may have caused this situation!

Greg
Austin TX USA
greg328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old March 8th, 2020, 03:16 AM   #2

No ducatis in the registry

Curious as to what you may have found? Was there other damage to the engine that caused this?
DesmoAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote