Ducati 1198R DTC module unit - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 27th, 2020, 09:37 PM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

Ducati 1198R DTC module unit

Good day guys I have an 1198R and my DTC module unit is busted. I need to buy a new one. I have been searching on websites and evenings and I’m failing because it has a different socket from the regular 1098 and 1198S models. can anyone tell me where I can buy this? thank you
Jericho05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old January 27th, 2020, 11:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho05 View Post
Good day guys I have an 1198R and my DTC module unit is busted. I need to buy a new one. I have been searching on websites and evenings and Iím failing because it has a different socket from the regular 1098 and 1198S models. can anyone tell me where I can buy this? thank you
Ducati Dealership is probably the only place.
'13 Hayabusa
'10 1198 R
'07 RF Z06
DrgnRcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2020, 09:15 AM   #3
Court Jester

You can search ebay for the OEM part number or "DTC"

The OEM part number is 28611171c for the 1198r $1,065.00

There is a listing for the entire harness including the DTC for $300 it says for an 1198s (I bet it is the same as an R)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ducati-1198...cAAOSwqZFeJ4X4

I've purchased 2 of these set ups to convert both my 848's to CORSE.
Old January 28th, 2020, 01:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchase View Post
You can search ebay for the OEM part number or "DTC"

The OEM part number is 28611171c for the 1198r $1,065.00

There is a listing for the entire harness including the DTC for $300 it says for an 1198s (I bet it is the same as an R)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ducati-1198...cAAOSwqZFeJ4X4

I've purchased 2 of these set ups to convert both my 848's to CORSE.
According to Ducati Omaha's parts catalogs, the 'S' has a different unit. That P/N is:

28611171B
'13 Hayabusa
'10 1198 R
'07 RF Z06
Old January 28th, 2020, 01:44 PM   #5
Court Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrgnRcr View Post
According to Ducati Omaha's parts catalogs, the 'S' has a different unit. That P/N is:

28611171B
I'm willing to bet it will that they are the same.
Old January 28th, 2020, 03:42 PM   #6

DTC on 1098R/1198R does not work the same way as 1198S DTC.

https://www.motorcycle.com/manufactu...iew-87641.html

According to Andrea Forni, Ducati technical director, DTC has been adapted to this street bike so that it will work without frying the exhaust. DTC on the 1098R functioned primarily by cutting spark, thereby requiring use of race exhausts in order to not damage catalytic converters found in OEM exhausts. DTC on the 1198 works first by retarding ignition depending on various parameters considered by the ECU, then further retards ignition advance as the bikeís brain sees fit.

Finally, if you fancy yourself a two-wheeled superhero and over-power the grippy Diablo Supercorsa SP tires (our bikes fitted with last yearís homologated rear and a new-for-2009 front), DTC will clip fueling as well as retard ignition. However, note again that DTC on the 1198 does not cut spark as on the 1098R.
Tchase likes this.
Dnepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2020, 03:51 PM   #7
Court Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnepr View Post
DTC on 1098R/1198R does not work the same way as 1198S DTC.

https://www.motorcycle.com/manufactu...iew-87641.html

According to Andrea Forni, Ducati technical director, DTC has been adapted to this street bike so that it will work without frying the exhaust. DTC on the 1098R functioned primarily by cutting spark, thereby requiring use of race exhausts in order to not damage catalytic converters found in OEM exhausts. DTC on the 1198 works first by retarding ignition depending on various parameters considered by the ECU, then further retards ignition advance as the bikeís brain sees fit.

Finally, if you fancy yourself a two-wheeled superhero and over-power the grippy Diablo Supercorsa SP tires (our bikes fitted with last yearís homologated rear and a new-for-2009 front), DTC will clip fueling as well as retard ignition. However, note again that DTC on the 1198 does not cut spark as on the 1098R.

I'd take the assumption that the module the OP is looking for is the same as all, while the ECU makes the changes you have pointed out.

Yep I could be wrong....

I noticed that even the 1098 and 848 have different numbers but work exactly the same.
Old January 28th, 2020, 04:09 PM   #8

Quote:
I'd take the assumption that the module the OP is looking for is the same as all, while the ECU makes the changes you have pointed out.

Yep I could be wrong....

I noticed that even the 1098 and 848 have different numbers but work exactly the same.
A quote from the article DNEPR posted:

"Half expecting some serious drama, I was surprised at just how non-invasive this low-level was, as it allowed some manageable drifts. DTC on the 2009 1198S differs from DTC on the 1098R in that itís ďless intrusive in Levels 1-4 while the remaining levels operate to the same degree as they do on the 1098R,Ē Forni explained to Motorcycle.com."

The 'S' model is claimed to be less intrusive in the 1-4 settings. My guess is the parameters in the DTC Modules are based in part on power output, throttle positioning and tire size. IDK if any of those parts are different between the models but the 'R' does have a second injector and significantly greater power as well as different power peaks. If the module is taking into consideration RPM's then that may play the biggest part when considering the 'R's power band.

TLDR; the S module may be insufficient for the R.
'13 Hayabusa
'10 1198 R
'07 RF Z06
Old January 28th, 2020, 04:48 PM   #9
Court Jester

Quote:
A quote from the article DNEPR posted:

"Half expecting some serious drama, I was surprised at just how non-invasive this low-level was, as it allowed some manageable drifts. DTC on the 2009 1198S differs from DTC on the 1098R in that itís ďless intrusive in Levels 1-4 while the remaining levels operate to the same degree as they do on the 1098R,Ē Forni explained to Motorcycle.com."

The 'S' model is claimed to be less intrusive in the 1-4 settings. My guess is the parameters in the DTC Modules are based in part on power output, throttle positioning and tire size. IDK if any of those parts are different between the models but the 'R' does have a second injector and significantly greater power as well as different power peaks. If the module is taking into consideration RPM's then that may play the biggest part when considering the 'R's power band.

TLDR; the S module may be insufficient for the R.

I don't think the Gyro / lean module is going to change.. it's mounting position is way more important and I just can't see them loading in a different firmware when it can be done at the ECU.

Good news is we will probably never know if you are right or I am wrong.

For the cost of the listing at 300 bucks for a harness, ecu, box and, front brake sensor, and the module it's well worth the try. If it doesn't work he could make his money back, better than spending 1k on something he probably can't return. I also wonder how he knows it is fried.
Old January 28th, 2020, 05:08 PM   #10

Quote:
I don't think the Gyro / lean module is going to change.. it's mounting position is way more important and I just can't see them loading in a different firmware when it can be done at the ECU.

Good news is we will probably never know if you are right or I am wrong.

For the cost of the listing at 300 bucks for a harness, ecu, box and, front brake sensor, and the module it's well worth the try. If it doesn't work he could make his money back, better than spending 1k on something he probably can't return. I also wonder how he knows it is fried.
The ECU in that listing will not work on the R at all.
'13 Hayabusa
'10 1198 R
'07 RF Z06
Old January 28th, 2020, 06:24 PM   #11
Court Jester

Quote:
The ECU in that listing will not work on the R at all.
Did I say it would?
Old January 28th, 2020, 06:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Did I say it would?
I never said you did :shrug:
'13 Hayabusa
'10 1198 R
'07 RF Z06
Old January 28th, 2020, 06:48 PM   #13
Court Jester

Quote:
I never said you did :shrug:
Then who did? Iím only talking about the gyro / accelerometer device.

The difference in the R and S DTC is probably in the ecu code not the DTC module that mounts on the tail.
Old January 28th, 2020, 09:13 PM   #14

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Some good discussion here but doubt it is of any use. OP already claims he has searched and couldn't find so probably just a time waster... You would think he would've at least tried Ducati already?
Tchase likes this.
Previous:
'96 YZF1000R
'89 EX500
Svensken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2020, 03:56 AM   #15
Court Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svensken View Post
Some good discussion here but doubt it is of any use. OP already claims he has searched and couldn't find so probably just a time waster... You would think he would've at least tried Ducati already?
I was thinking the same thing, good debate and the ops low post count. I thought he already tried oem and had sticker shock? But itís a Ducati