Oil seep from 1098 - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Shrek

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 28th, 2020, 03:08 PM   #1

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Oil seep from 1098

I've tried searching but couldn't come to anything conclusive. I have a pretty decent seep coming from my 2008 1098. I thought maybe the crush washer was the culprit so I changed the oil and put a brand new crush washer, but no luck. The oil level is still showing perfectly in the center of the sight bubble (so I don't think Im losing a ton of oil), but I've got a good amount of oil grime noticeable going down my kickstand, over the belly fairing, on the lower portion of the engine, etc. I've attached photos, would be very grateful if anyone has encountered this before and can let me know what I need to replace to fix this!

cascade is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old March 28th, 2020, 04:50 PM   #2

No ducatis in the registry

Remove your fairings, clean everything. Start the bike and pinpoint the culprit.
Dutch848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2020, 05:37 PM   #3

Pretty sure we covered this last week
Tchase likes this.
The reality of this situation maybe obscured by living room curtains.
Shrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2020, 09:08 AM   #4

check my thread. i had one recently 2-3 weeks ago. drove me nuts. long'ish.. but i put as much history i had.

https://www.ducati.org/forums/1098-1...-oil-weep.html

my oil weep don't show until at least 3-4 weeks later w/o me riding it and on rear stand. my post is the last attempt to isolate and always cleaned around with dawn to get all the oil/grime and i can easily see where it goes with foot powder spray (athlete's food spray). baby powder works but a pita to clean as i learned 2 yrs ago.
goldenset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2020, 09:06 AM   #5

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Thanks all, I will try wiping everything down and starting it with the fairings removed to see if I can find the source. Glad you got your leak sorted out Goldenset, sounds like it was quite the process!
Old April 12th, 2020, 10:36 AM   #6

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Update, removed all the fairings and wiped everything down as best I could. The bike has 18k miles on it so a lot of it seemed to be just buildup from over the years. The bulk of the oil grime seemed to be around the kickstand and chain area. I ran the bike for a while and even rode it around for a bit and now it doesn't seem to have any oil dripping at all. I think my previous ride was the first time I took the bike out since the last oil change, is it possible I overfilled it and the bike simply spit out the extra oil? I flew helicopters in the Army and our engines would do this, basically if you filled them up past their "happy place" they would pretty consistently just spit the extra oil out on the next flight.

I've attached some photos, there were a few areas I could not get my hand into to wipe down, particularly the bottom rear portion of the engine behind the front sprocket and clutch, on the backside of the case. Should I try to degrease this area or just leave it be? See photos taken after running the engine for about 30 minutes (15 minutes of idle and then a 15 minute ride).

Old April 12th, 2020, 11:14 AM   #7

Well if there is no leaking I wouldn't bother cleaning those areas. But these areas have caused leaking with some other Ducati riders before. The kickstand bolts cracking the case and the o-ring of the spacer behind the sprocket. It couldn't hurt to clean these areas to have a closer look and to be sure there is no leaking from these areas.

Goodluck.
Dutch848 is offline   Reply With Quote