Ducati Stand Question - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By pat1098
  • 1 Post By EL Twin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 28th, 2020, 04:10 PM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

Ducati Stand Question

My Ducati stand is equipped with a pin that fit on the left side of my old 07 1098s. I now have a 08 1098s, but the pin is wider than the axle hole, so I cannot use it on the left side. What's even more confusing is that it fit on the right side. Any one know why or how this could be?
dannyc617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old March 28th, 2020, 04:27 PM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Early '07 axle was thinner
Previous:
'96 YZF1000R
'89 EX500
Svensken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2020, 04:39 PM   #3

Thanks. Weird how it fits the right side.

Would the fix be to swap in a new pin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svensken View Post
Early '07 axle was
thinner
Old March 28th, 2020, 04:40 PM   #4

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Yup
Previous:
'96 YZF1000R
'89 EX500
Svensken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2020, 04:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyc617 View Post
Thanks. Weird how it fits the right side.

Would the fix be to swap in a new pin?
If it's a Ducati Performance rear stand like the one attached you should just be able to undo the screw in the centre of the pin to reveal the smaller sized pin.
I've used mine for both 848's with the smaller axle and 1098 with the larger one.
Attached Images

cs363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2020, 05:03 PM   #6

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

Hi gang. What a different world we find ourselves in now?!
The rear axle of the first released 1098 in early '07 had thinner walls, with a larger diameter hole through it.
A warranty claim from someone who'd managed to distort an axle led the factory to increase the wall thickness of the axle at the sprocket end to avoid further problems.
The rumour at the time was that it was someone in Holland - don't know if it was someone who comes here!
This stronger axle appeared around June - July of '07.
I bought mine in August '07, and got the rear stand at the same time. At that time the stand came with two pins, to suit the two different diameters.
Which proved useful as the larger pin that didn't suit my bike did suit the MV Agusta F4, which I had occasion to use.
So essentially you need the other pin, which may be available as a spare, or could be made up by someone with a lathe. Simply provide the pin you have as a guide, with the diameter required for the fitting end of the pin supplied. Leave about 0.5 mm clearance.
I had pins made to suit the (much smaller diameter) early models - 748, 916 - 998 - so I could use my stand on those.
pat1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2020, 10:00 PM   #7

My stand is made by Gubellini who I believe also makes the one pictured here, but the pin on mine isn't plastic as seen in the pic. My stand is original and was bought with an early model 1098s which had the thinner hub side wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs363 View Post
If it's a Ducati Performance rear stand like the one attached you should just be able to undo the screw in the centre of the pin to reveal the smaller sized pin.
I've used mine for both 848's with the smaller axle and 1098 with the larger one.
Old April 3rd, 2020, 10:03 PM   #8

Based on what I've learned so far, the pins for the early 07s is 43mm and after the change to the thicker walls, it was decreased by 2mm making it 41mm. has any one fitted a Pit hub pin onto a FG Gubellini rear stand? From the looks of it, it may fit.
Old April 5th, 2020, 10:25 PM   #9

Quote:
My stand is made by Gubellini who I believe also makes the one pictured here, but the pin on mine isn't plastic as seen in the pic. My stand is original and was bought with an early model 1098s which had the thinner hub side wall.
Quote:
Based on what I've learned so far, the pins for the early 07s is 43mm and after the change to the thicker walls, it was decreased by 2mm making it 41mm. has any one fitted a Pit hub pin onto a FG Gubellini rear stand? From the looks of it, it may fit.
Looks like the maker of the stand has pins available to suit then:
https://www.fggubellini.com/en/stand...05-ducati.html
cs363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2020, 02:17 PM   #10

Thanks. i actually found that myself but didn't pull the trigger because I assume they closed given how how serious the country was hit with Covid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs363 View Post
Looks like the maker of the stand has pins available to suit then:
https://www.fggubellini.com/en/stand...05-ducati.html
Old April 15th, 2020, 04:05 PM   #11

I also have an FG (Franco Gubellini) stand from the 916 era and have simply machined different sized sleeves which slide over the smaller pin to adapt to all the following models.

Last edited by EL Twin; April 15th, 2020 at 04:08 PM.
EL Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2020, 04:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat1098 View Post
Hi gang. What a different world we find ourselves in now?!
The rear axle of the first released 1098 in early '07 had thinner walls, with a larger diameter hole through it.
A warranty claim from someone who'd managed to distort an axle led the factory to increase the wall thickness of the axle at the sprocket end to avoid further problems.
The rumour at the time was that it was someone in Holland - don't know if it was someone who comes here!
This stronger axle appeared around June - July of '07.
I bought mine in August '07, and got the rear stand at the same time. At that time the stand came with two pins, to suit the two different diameters.
Which proved useful as the larger pin that didn't suit my bike did suit the MV Agusta F4, which I had occasion to use.
So essentially you need the other pin, which may be available as a spare, or could be made up by someone with a lathe. Simply provide the pin you have as a guide, with the diameter required for the fitting end of the pin supplied. Leave about 0.5 mm clearance.
I had pins made to suit the (much smaller diameter) early models - 748, 916 - 998 - so I could use my stand on those.
Always the man with the most in depth info!
Throbber likes this.