misfiring - Page 2 - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 6th, 2008, 09:52 PM   #16

No ducatis in the registry

My 1098 runs smooth even at 3000 rpm. At 2500 rpm it does sound a little anemic, but the engine does still manage. No stalling. No misfiring. But some mild hesitation. If I'm slowing down you'll need to progressively squeeze the clutch to ensure smoothness. If you feel like yours is anymore than mild hesitation I would continue to pursue an answer.
peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old May 6th, 2008, 10:50 PM   #17

The differences are in valve adjustment. The shimmed desmodromic valves can have a lot of variation and still be "in spec".

Part of owning a ducati is getting the feeling that it runs progressively "rougher" and then you take it in for your valve service and notice that afterwards it "runs great!" And "Purrs like a kitten!"
dagor6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2008, 06:18 PM   #18

ducatis in the registry:
[Monster 800]

Have scheduled a visit to a local independent bike shop in Ventura. They seem to know a lot about DUCS so off I go on Saturday to have them investigate. Wonder what feed back I'll receive. The bike ran great after a cursory once over by Ducati Santa Barbara although what they did is a mystery to both myself and the mechanic. Several visits later we have not been able to get it back to a good condition. It's got to be somnething simple. I just feel it. Leaning towards bad coil or plug wire. Dealer says that was checked. Only one way to know for sure...
ke4ogn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 08:32 AM   #19
lee

ke4,

While you're there ask them about cams. Bad grinds and incorrect timing adjustment. Have they run into either one and was it a cure to fix them? Also ask about the engine and outside air temp senders which feed info to the ECU. Have they seen any problems with either circut?

Thanks,

Lee
lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 07:28 AM   #20

Solutions?

Lee and anyone else - did you figure out the misfiring at low revs problem, especially when the engine warms up? I have the exact same problem. Changed coils, TPS, spark plugs, and played with the bleed screws.

Please share any solutions...
passostelvio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 08:24 AM   #21

ducatis in the registry:
[1198 S]

Quote:
Originally Posted by passostelvio View Post
Lee and anyone else - did you figure out the misfiring at low revs problem, especially when the engine warms up? I have the exact same problem. Changed coils, TPS, spark plugs, and played with the bleed screws.

Please share any solutions...
I could be wrong, but I think lee sold his Ducati. And this is a 5 year old thread.

You may have better luck posting a new thread of your exact symptoms and seeing if anyone can help you. (I haven't read the thread yet)
You can't buy a Ducati lawnmower, jetski or trombone.
Wa11er98S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 11:39 AM   #22

Lee, don't give up. Does it gurgle, or backfire?
Spudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2017, 01:10 PM   #23

2015 Scrambler 20,000kms Termi low mount. I have a misfire that happens only after the engine is well and truly hot and at throutle off the miss occasionally ocurs with a cough and then gets gradually worst, hard throutle on clears it. Then on occasions it is that bad the bike won't recover from it and runs like a haunted shithouse and will not accelerate past the misfire. When that has happened twice the bike is trailered to the dealer and they cannot find a fault nor replicate the condition even after more than 100kms test riding it.. It is so annoying as the bike runs bloody well but then this happening... I get the bike back off them today so I really am at a total lose as to what to do next... I really don't want to sell it as the bike is friggn awesome when running right... They have tested fuel pressure and coils don't get overly hot. They also replaced fuel filter which seemed to work as it ran great for 2 weeks then started misfiring again, which was weird as before then it would do it daily so I actually thought they had fixed it. . Anyway as I said I get it back today..
P.J.Richmond is offline   Reply With Quote