First time female rider dreams of a Yellow 1098 - Page 3 - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 13th, 2009, 08:07 PM   #31

No ducatis in the registry

Previous to being here in the USA, I was in China for a couple of years

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucaDuca View Post
I was going to take the time to read your entire post, until I got to the part where you started getting cocky and bragging about the fast cars that you have driven and how you can "control" them. Bottom line, your previous cars and the current one you own tell me one thing about you. You like speed. I can give you credit for wanting a truly beautiful and powerful bike. I can't however give you credit for using your brain and realizing that this is way too much of a bike for a brand new rider. Paired with your already apparent need to go fast it is a disaster waiting to happen. End result is, cars have 4 contact points, bikes have two. It's not to hard to imagine what could happen if you have a sudden laps in judgment.

If you had continued to read instead of making assumptions (I know it was a suuuper long post; but, if you aren't going to read the whole thing, you shouldn't feel entitled to make assumptions about what the rest of it is going to say), you would have seen where I talked about making mistakes when I first started driving, stupidity, and questioning whether or not this is too much bike, etc...

Anyway, thanks to everyone else for the continued insights

I pretty much decided in my last post to avoid getting a 1098 as my first bike.. so now I'm mostly looking at used 748/848s.

On the other side of the comments, saying stuff like the 848 is faster than any car I've ever been in, and that I'll never think it's slow.. Is pretty comparable to telling me that I couldn't drive a Corvette in the snow. I don't know how long it would take, but I'm sure there would come a day when I would feel that "meh, it could be faster"

I'm looking forward to learning to ride! I hope maybe one day I'll be able to ride alongside some of you
Remove Ads
Old February 13th, 2009, 08:22 PM   #32

ducatis in the registry:
[999]

do a 'search', no idea where you are in usa,but lots of areas have local ducati owners clubs, your local dealer would know.they usually have organised rides,some fast,slow and intermediate.with riders of all sorts of levels and then.ride to your ability not someone elses! hj
Old February 14th, 2009, 12:07 AM   #33

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

Quote:
Originally Posted by layla View Post
On the other side of the comments, saying stuff like the 848 is faster than any car I've ever been in, and that I'll never think it's slow.. Is pretty comparable to telling me that I couldn't drive a Corvette in the snow.
It's not comparable at all. With the exception of some supercars and dedicated race-cars. It IS faster than any car you would be in. That's not a statement of opinion, it's simple fact. Bikes accelerate faster and have insanely high top speeds. Especially comparing prices. Someone posted the YouTube link of them racing a Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera against a stock 1098. The 1098 one. And on the straight it just cruised past the Lambo. Your Corvette isn't that fast.

The 848 isn't that far behind it. In fact, the 848 is more powerful than the 998. Hell it's got a higher power to weight ratio than the 999. Which is the precurser to the 1098. So it's no slouch.

But take as many courses as you can. MSF course obviously. I'm also talking about things like California Superbike School (Which I'm assuming is as widespread in the US as here in Aus.) Plus the equivilent of our intermediate and advanced bike control schools. Any extra courses you can do to teach you better techniques, take them.
Old February 14th, 2009, 01:56 AM   #34

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Quote:
Previous to being here in the USA, I was in China for a couple of years

If you had continued to read instead of making assumptions (I know it was a suuuper long post; but, if you aren't going to read the whole thing, you shouldn't feel entitled to make assumptions about what the rest of it is going to say), you would have seen where I talked about making mistakes when I first started driving, stupidity, and questioning whether or not this is too much bike, etc...

Anyway, thanks to everyone else for the continued insights

I pretty much decided in my last post to avoid getting a 1098 as my first bike.. so now I'm mostly looking at used 748/848s.

On the other side of the comments, saying stuff like the 848 is faster than any car I've ever been in, and that I'll never think it's slow.. Is pretty comparable to telling me that I couldn't drive a Corvette in the snow. I don't know how long it would take, but I'm sure there would come a day when I would feel that "meh, it could be faster"

I'm looking forward to learning to ride! I hope maybe one day I'll be able to ride alongside some of you
Which ever bike you get the 748 or 848 get a set of frame sliders that way when you drop it (and you will, we all dropped our 1st bikes) the damage will not be as bad.
The worse part is when you drop it , it will be something stupid.
I dropped my 1st bike because a shoe lace got stuck on the rear set and when I went to stop I could'nt get my foot down. next thing you know the cbr was on the ground.
So now before I ride I always make sure my shoe laces are tucked in.

Best of luck with your new bike and be careful.
Old February 14th, 2009, 02:12 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo350 View Post
Which ever bike you get the 748 or 848 get a set of frame sliders that way when you drop it (and you will, we all dropped our 1st bikes) the damage will not be as bad.
The worse part is when you drop it , it will be something stupid.
I dropped my 1st bike because a shoe lace got stuck on the rear set and when I went to stop I could'nt get my foot down. next thing you know the cbr was on the ground.
So now before I ride I always make sure my shoe laces are tucked in.

Best of luck with your new bike and be careful.

riding boots?

I'm surprised no one has asked to see her in a bikini on the hood of her 'vette
Old February 14th, 2009, 06:11 AM   #36

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

[quote=hybrid;139361]riding boots?

No not ridding boots.
I was a Dumb ass at the time and was wearing protective Nike's.

Last edited by mongo350; February 14th, 2009 at 06:13 AM. Reason: wrong insert
Old February 14th, 2009, 06:12 AM   #37
x27

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

Get a naked 250 and learn how to ride Darl. Would you rock up to an airport buy a plane and just expect to fly off......Nah it doesnt work like that.
Old February 14th, 2009, 07:26 AM   #38

Can anyone here who advocate for starting on a smaller bike explain to me what is so difficult about riding a 1098 at SENSIBLE speeds? It will travel the speed limit as gently as any 848 in existence. You all assume that she will get on the thing and attempted a multi-gear wheelie down time square DAY ONE.

I am certain there are enough posers on this forum who can attest to the fact that the 1098 is a pussy cat when you need it to be. And, as her skills improve, she will not have to find a buyer for the smaller bike. Oh yeah, last I checked, replacement parts for an 848 are VERY similar to those of the 1098 until you're talking engine internals.

Partial throttle control of a 1098, indeed, most liter class bikes are very civil. "IF" you receive good instruction and are patient and let the skills come to you, YOU WILL DO FINE! Every single example given here of accidents had nothing to do with the bike being difficult to ride. Dog attacks and slick roads can/will happen to you on any bike.

Obviously, if you grab a hand full of throttle and let the 1098 get into it's power band and you do not know intimately how to:
* panic stop,
* look where you want to go,
* eyes through the turn,
* head up and eyes level with horizon,
* do your hard braking in a straight line,
* commit to the lean angle and get off the brake,
* Everything smooth and easy. NOTHING quick and hard

...you are in trouble. But guess what, that is the case for any motorcycle 600cc and up. In fact, most 600s are nearly as quick as 1000s until you approach triple digit speeds.

GET THE 1098 and let it come to you slowly. Ride within your comfort zone and learn how to read the environment you are riding in. It call situational awareness. THAT is the biggest thing that keeps you safe. The mechanics of riding will take care of themselves with practice.

Current:
'08 1098 (YELLOW)
'01 Aprilia RSV-R
'04 MV Agusta (MoDiFiEd )
'02 Aprilia RSV-R (Salvage)

History:

'00 Aprilia Mille
'98 Triumph 595
'97 Suzuki TL1000S
'98 Suzuki TL1000R
'94 Kawasaki ZX9R
Old February 14th, 2009, 07:34 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUsNav848 View Post
It's not comparable at all. With the exception of some supercars and dedicated race-cars. It IS faster than any car you would be in. That's not a statement of opinion, it's simple fact. Bikes accelerate faster and have insanely high top speeds. Especially comparing prices. Someone posted the YouTube link of them racing a Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera against a stock 1098. The 1098 one. And on the straight it just cruised past the Lambo. Your Corvette isn't that fast.

The 848 isn't that far behind it. In fact, the 848 is more powerful than the 998. Hell it's got a higher power to weight ratio than the 999. Which is the precurser to the 1098. So it's no slouch.

But take as many courses as you can. MSF course obviously. I'm also talking about things like California Superbike School (Which I'm assuming is as widespread in the US as here in Aus.) Plus the equivilent of our intermediate and advanced bike control schools. Any extra courses you can do to teach you better techniques, take them.

agree fully with ausnav..the 848/1098's are faster than any car i have ever driven.. v8supercars..dont know what a corvette is like,or driven in snow either..but that dont mean shit...this is a different genre...and one you havent tried yet...

the power delivery is far more urgent and the bike is light ..power transfers to one wheel and response time is quicker in all areas..
power,brake,steer..with completely different behaviors to a car..

the guy wasnt having a go at you..just stating the facts..both the 848 and 1098 can make masses of illegal speed in an instant..depending on how you apply your wrist..
youll find it hard to use all of the power of an 848 even....lost my license once already on mine for speeding..theres lots for you to learn
when you want for more power...theres mods,and shifting power delivery and torque around..

the frequently asked questions thread would be a good read for you layla...theres a section called something like 'new bike ' ..posts from others to other new owner/riders may help you 'get' where the guys are coming from...dont be offended...its all good advice

Quote:
Get a naked 250 and learn how to ride Darl. Would you rock up to an airport buy a plane and just expect to fly off......Nah it doesnt work like that.
true dat xman
Old February 14th, 2009, 07:55 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ePegasus View Post
Can anyone here who advocate for starting on a smaller bike explain to me what is so difficult about riding a 1098 at SENSIBLE speeds? It will travel the speed limit as gently as any 848 in existence. You all assume that she will get on the thing and attempted a multi-gear wheelie down time square DAY ONE.

I am certain there are enough posers on this forum who can attest to the fact that the 1098 is a pussy cat when you need it to be. And, as her skills improve, she will not have to find a buyer for the smaller bike. Oh yeah, last I checked, replacement parts for an 848 are VERY similar to those of the 1098 until you're talking engine internals.

Partial throttle control of a 1098, indeed, most liter class bikes are very civil. "IF" you receive good instruction and are patient and let the skills come to you, YOU WILL DO FINE! Every single example given here of accidents had nothing to do with the bike being difficult to ride. Dog attacks and slick roads can/will happen to you on any bike.

Obviously, if you grab a hand full of throttle and let the 1098 get into it's power band and you do not know intimately how to:
* panic stop,
* look where you want to go,
* eyes through the turn,
* head up and eyes level with horizon,
* do your hard braking in a straight line,
* commit to the lean angle and get off the brake,
* Everything smooth and easy. NOTHING quick and hard

...you are in trouble. But guess what, that is the case for any motorcycle 600cc and up. In fact, most 600s are nearly as quick as 1000s until you approach triple digit speeds.

GET THE 1098 and let it come to you slowly. Ride within your comfort zone and learn how to read the environment you are riding in. It call situational awareness. THAT is the biggest thing that keeps you safe. The mechanics of riding will take care of themselves with practice.

dog attacks and slick roads did happen to me on a smaller bike and that was my point..the thing was a disposable not a high end expensive performance machine..
learning 25 years ago on a small bike allowed me to relax and have fun..experiment and learn about my responses to unforseen situations..without undue expense of repairs and injuries due to silly mistakes/choices made with powerful throttle and braking response..

relating my experiences was about opening novice eyes to the down and dirty or stark reality of motorcycling on a daily basis in the real world
even riding with a pussycat hand, to the cafe for a latte will still present a rider with unforseen situations, and the need to be equiped for them..letting it come to you, is an irresponsible attitude at any level of riding skill or capacity of machine

the 848 panels and externals are the same as the 1098, engine (+ecu, exhaust etc) has its obvious differences..
o there is an acception to that..with some drill holes on a/m c/f accessories, and only when transferring down from 1098s, TC or R to the 848...

yes insurances will cover costs of accident damage, but who wants to go there ...parts and availability add up to lost time and inconveniance

job of 14 years within government transport and logistics sector had me put in 10,080 riding hours, a componant of which was training and safety..know for a fact that most silly accidents (my own included) will happen in the early days of learning... well, that applies to anything really...driving ...ski-ing, cycling, skateboarding, hang-gliding.....

there is another who would advocate a smaller bike to a new rider..my partner,who has owned a ducati dealership for 25 years
he would rather turn a sale away..than sell a bike to someone he thought was inexperienced or of the wrong mind-set...

and another...
run that question past our main roads department ...our licensing laws in australia also advocate a 250cc restriction for 12 months for beginners or 600cc restriction for 12 months for long term licensed drivers with certified training course, one can only conclude that statistic studies where conducted prior to the application of these laws

Last edited by ms.tightywhitey; February 14th, 2009 at 10:30 AM.
Old February 14th, 2009, 08:35 AM   #41

ducatis in the registry:
[1198]

Send a message via AIM to Ryan_Cunningham
Quote:

Wow. I'm nearly speechless.

First, no one cares that you've driven a Corvette in the snow. That doesn't make you a good driver, despite the fact that you've convinced yourself that it does.

Second, someone making the statement that an 848 is faster than any car you've been in is in no way comparable to saying you can't drive a Corvette in the snow. Period. I can't even contemplate how you believe that it is.

I beg you to be careful when you actually purchase the bike that is going to be clearly above your riding abilities. That, coupled with your overconfidence, is a recipe for disaster.

USMC Student Naval Aviator
Old February 14th, 2009, 09:51 AM   #42

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Sounds to me that you'll do what you want anyway.

Sounds to me you have money to burn.

Sounds to me you like speed.

Sounds to me you'll ride recklessly despite what you may say or think now.

When you go down try not to involve anyone else.

And for the record I doubt my local Ducati dealer would sell a 1098 to a new rider, irrespective of the car they drive.
Old February 14th, 2009, 05:23 PM   #43

the best riders in the world...learned in the dirt, on smaller cc machines and started to ride at a very young age..

my experiences at the shop with crashed machines

most notable new license rider (not novice) crash..620 multistrada..on the day of customer pick up and 3 blocks away from the shop..customer dropped the bike,causing over $3000worth of damage..bike off the road for more than a month..going thru insurance,parts availability,and repair process...customer's insurance premiums increased and luckily customer was not hurt...the bike was brand new and had 13klm's on the clock

most notable experienced rider crash..new 1098 owner applied a little too much throttle coming out of a roundabout and accidently wheelstood the bike lost control and dropped it...again about a month going thru the repairs and insurance process, all after owning the bike for less than a week
this rider's previous bike was a 600 monster

most notable demo bike crash....an experienced rider and owner of some performance 1000 japbike..
turned right out of our street and proceeded to crash the 1098 demo writing it off..before the end of the first straight, rider was taken away in an ambulance with a broken shoulder...accident due to over confidence and
applying too much throttle, too quickly and then braking too hard..
the demo bike was destroyed in under 5 minutes

a very tragic accident about 2 weeks ago claimed the life of one of our customers whilst he was riding his gt1000..again an experienced rider in his mid forties who fully respected and cherished his machine..

most of the crashed machines that come into the shop for repairs are superbikes....very rarely do we see a monster or any of the other 2 valvers come in for smash repairs...
what we see from a dealership perspective is very heartbreaking, we deal with a lot of customers and a lot of bikes....

Last edited by ms.tightywhitey; February 14th, 2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old February 14th, 2009, 05:43 PM   #44

ducatis in the registry:
[916 SPS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucatiGuy View Post
You know if a guy asked these questions and wrote that much, everyone's response would be....

SEARCH the damn forum!

We are suckers for a set of Chest Puppies aren't we ??

Old February 14th, 2009, 05:51 PM   #45

hey brett hiiiiiiiii
wheres all of your shock piccies lately..youve been very quiet and very well behaved
chest puppies???
Closed Thread