Voltage Regulator Symptoms????? - Page 2 - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 25th, 2009, 09:32 AM   #16

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Bike go fast; then bike no go. The end.
backinthesaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old February 25th, 2009, 05:15 PM   #17

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]
[ST 4 S]

1800 plus when I took it to dealer, I never rode around town though either so it has never seen high temps which maybe was the cause since ya get a heat shield with the replacement? Never had a problem.
pacabada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 05:22 PM   #18

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Miles

My 08 has 5500 miles on it and has never shown a sign of any symptoms. I'll bring it in when the snow stops or maybe a few weeks before and get it changed. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have them put in a 14t front sprocket at the same time.

Peace
Peewee
Old February 25th, 2009, 06:40 PM   #19

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Not the Voltage Regulator

So I took it to the dealer today and they wapped out the voltage regulator. After that they tried to crank it up and it was still giving the same symptoms. Idles very weak and eventually chokes and dies. They said that it may have a pinched fuel line from when I had to lift the tank for the DMV to see the emissions sticker. So I brought it home and pulled the tank again to see if any lins were smashed and nothing. Everything looks normal with all lines heading to where they need to go. So here goes again with the symptoms of my baby's mysterious symptoms. (1) Bike shows 12.4 volts when key is turned to on position. (2) Bike cranks up and shows between 13.4 and 14.2 volts. (3) Bike then begins to choke and battery indicator flashes "lo" and then shuts down.

If anyone could please give me a heads up on what might be causing this I would really appreciate it. My first instinct now says to swap the battery but for some reason that just sounds too simple. Can someone shed some light on this for me. THANKS

ANDY
aldarnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 08:27 PM   #20

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]
[ST 4 S]

GEEZ, The dealer never offered to check your battery???? Not much for service doesn't sound like. I'd yank it out and any good car/bike shop can check it for you. Hopefully that's it!
pacabada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 08:57 PM   #21

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

I had mine 8500 miles no problems, but I still had the regulator replaced under warranty. I don't want to deal with it later after the warranty expires.

Roberto
robertog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 04:13 AM   #22

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S Tri-Color]

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldarnell View Post
So I took it to the dealer today and they wapped out the voltage regulator. After that they tried to crank it up and it was still giving the same symptoms. Idles very weak and eventually chokes and dies. They said that it may have a pinched fuel line from when I had to lift the tank for the DMV to see the emissions sticker. So I brought it home and pulled the tank again to see if any lins were smashed and nothing. Everything looks normal with all lines heading to where they need to go. So here goes again with the symptoms of my baby's mysterious symptoms. (1) Bike shows 12.4 volts when key is turned to on position. (2) Bike cranks up and shows between 13.4 and 14.2 volts. (3) Bike then begins to choke and battery indicator flashes "lo" and then shuts down.

If anyone could please give me a heads up on what might be causing this I would really appreciate it. My first instinct now says to swap the battery but for some reason that just sounds too simple. Can someone shed some light on this for me. THANKS

ANDY
Dealer tech blabbered something about the dash (which btw is the left arm of the ecu on our bikes).

I`ll know more in 3 weeks when I go to get it back.
martinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 04:24 AM   #23

No ducatis in the registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinc View Post
To those that didnt have the problems,what is the mileage on your bikes?
3G and still going.
rgrbrny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 07:50 AM   #24

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

10,700 miles. No problems (knock on wood)
1098PREDATOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 03:23 PM   #25

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

I've got 15,500 on mine. I took it back to the shop and it turns out that the hose running from the fuel pump to the fuel tank came loose. Reattached it and it runs like a champ. Thanks for everything fellas. Safe riding.
aldarnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 07:37 PM   #26

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

Send a message via MSN to The Evil Dr J
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidencio View Post
My battery would always get too low to start the bike and sometimes the bike sounded/felt like it needed a shot of race fuel to get it going during start up.

The battery was replaced and tended but sure enough the same problem occured.

Got the recall done and sounds/feels like a champ.
Hmm... that sounds a lot like the trouble I'm having.

Recently rode to the WSBK Phillip Island round, from and back to Adelaide. One morning the bloody thing wouldn't start (this after 300+kms riding each day). Glad I packed the battery tender to pump some charge into the battery to start the bike.

Cheers,
J
Old March 7th, 2009, 05:15 AM   #27
jun

No ducatis in the registry

I have 2,700 mile son my 2008 1098. I was not having any symptoms of anything but brought my bike to the dealer yesterday ofr the recall. They replace the VR and the radiator hose clamp(I think).
jun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 07:30 PM   #28

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

Send a message via MSN to The Evil Dr J
Got a letter the other day from NFI asking me to bring the bike back to the dealer to have the VR replaced (if necessary) and heat-shielding installed, as part of an "in service program" by Ducati.

Cheers,
J
Old April 10th, 2009, 08:03 PM   #29

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

i had 3600km on mine with no problems. After the recall was done bike is hard to start have to twist the throtle a bit to get it goin.
buzz1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 08:12 PM   #30

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz1098 View Post
i had 3600km on mine with no problems. After the recall was done bike is hard to start have to twist the throtle a bit to get it goin.
+1

Always starts, but I have to do it like that now. Mine though before the recall was overcharging between 15 to 19 volts.
1984 Red/Grey 900 Ninja (RIP)
mr_honez is offline   Reply With Quote