Voltage Regulator Symptoms????? - Page 3 - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 11th, 2009, 12:32 AM   #31

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S Tri-Color]

2 weeks after the recall and the bike charges at 14.1~14.2 (was 14.4 steady before) and requires a battery boost every morning (still around 0C at night).

Tender doesnt do the trick at all...I often see the battery at 12.5.

Something is wrong,battery is barely a year old.
martinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old April 11th, 2009, 09:51 AM   #32

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_honez View Post
+1

Always starts, but I have to do it like that now. Mine though before the recall was overcharging between 15 to 19 volts.
I see you have the 848. Was the recall olso for that specific bike too?
buzz1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 02:17 PM   #33

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S Tri-Color]
[996]

Send a message via AIM to junior
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinc View Post
2 weeks after the recall and the bike charges at 14.1~14.2 (was 14.4 steady before) and requires a battery boost every morning (still around 0C at night).

Tender doesnt do the trick at all...I often see the battery at 12.5.

Something is wrong,battery is barely a year old.
the battery may have been fried by an over voltage...I guess that an visit to the doctor is in order (again), this problem can sometimes only become apparent only after the event as all looks ok at first but the ability of the battery to hold charge is reduced.

hope this helps !
junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 03:17 PM   #34

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz1098 View Post
I see you have the 848. Was the recall olso for that specific bike too?

Yes. As I understand it was for all Superbikes, though I could be wrong. I got a recall letter though.
1984 Red/Grey 900 Ninja (RIP)
mr_honez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 06:59 PM   #35

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

fwiw, my battery lasted just over a year (got the bike in nov/07, rode about 100km, winterized, fired up in spring 2008, rode the season, pulled it in november and tried to fire it up this spring and NOTHING). regulator seems ok as the new battery has kept its charge (between 14.4 and 14.5v according to the dash).

regulator is being replaced on may 2nd, but i don't think it'll make much of a difference.
mixedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 10:54 PM   #36

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldarnell View Post
So I took it to the dealer today and they wapped out the voltage regulator. After that they tried to crank it up and it was still giving the same symptoms. Idles very weak and eventually chokes and dies. They said that it may have a pinched fuel line from when I had to lift the tank for the DMV to see the emissions sticker. So I brought it home and pulled the tank again to see if any lins were smashed and nothing. Everything looks normal with all lines heading to where they need to go. So here goes again with the symptoms of my baby's mysterious symptoms. (1) Bike shows 12.4 volts when key is turned to on position. (2) Bike cranks up and shows between 13.4 and 14.2 volts. (3) Bike then begins to choke and battery indicator flashes "lo" and then shuts down.

If anyone could please give me a heads up on what might be causing this I would really appreciate it. My first instinct now says to swap the battery but for some reason that just sounds too simple. Can someone shed some light on this for me. THANKS

ANDY
I "believe" this is normal. I had the same "symptoms" BEFORE and AFTER the VR was replaced. Turn to on position - reads around 12v. Start the bike - jumps to 13-14v. seems normal to me.
akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 11:13 PM   #37

No ducatis in the registry

That definitely is not normal. The bike should not shut off after it's been turned on.
strykerg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 05:29 AM   #38

My new 2008 1098 has had the VR recall done but after a 45 min ride or so it takes my battery tender over 4 hours to go from 80% charge to "float". My other bikes take minutes to get to "float" after a 45 min ride. It starts fine, cranks about twice and fires, and has only stalled/shut down once since I got it. Just seems like there is something not quite right with the battery/charging system, all I can do is keep an eye on it. The bike idles between 1400-1500 rpm (Termignoni's with DP ECU, TPS reset) and shows 14.4 volts when running. I checked it with a multimeter and the reading is correct. I am going to check the battery voltage after I ride it today. Rick C.
trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 05:59 AM   #39

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S Tri-Color]

Told my tech manager yesterday about the starter gear recall result that annoys me.

Its basically a de-geared starter that makes the engine turn slower but with more torque applied to it to supposedly help the engine to start and prevent the early models battery/wiring loom melting situation.

Told him that its not a genius thing for the life of a battery though.

Looks like a new battery every year could be mandatory if only to protect other stuff.
martinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2009, 09:01 AM   #40

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

starter gear recall? is this something new?

most recent i received was the voltage regulator recall: "Dealers will replace the voltage regulator, install a heat guard between the voltage regulator and the engine exhaust system, and install a modified battery support."

i haven't had the work completed yet, but it sounds like the "new" voltage regulator is providing a weak charge???
mixedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 01:56 PM   #41

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinc View Post
Hi;

Mine was interesting.

My front lights/flashers/dash backlight/neutral light would just quit after reaching a certain time/temp.
Did replacing the voltage regulator fix this problem ? I have exactly the same problem but the Ducati mechanics here in South Africa seems to have never diagnosed such a problem ?? Will shielding the regulator from heat help solve the problem . My regulator seems to be ok but I will keep a close eye on it. Thanx
Duke916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 06:02 PM   #42

The reg problem seems to be heat related, mine would play up in traffic but once I got going again and some air flowing and the bike cooled down a bit all was back to normal.
There was a heat shield kit put on my bike before I picked it up from new, this may have been part of a recall aswell????
Your problem sounds like the reg, if your out of warranty they are about $120 from the States I think, not too bad.

Last edited by bstar360; July 26th, 2012 at 06:05 PM.
bstar360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 11:01 PM   #43

ducatis in the registry:
[1198 S]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke916 View Post
Did replacing the voltage regulator fix this problem ? I have exactly the same problem but the Ducati mechanics here in South Africa seems to have never diagnosed such a problem ?? Will shielding the regulator from heat help solve the problem . My regulator seems to be ok but I will keep a close eye on it. Thanx
Yup! Just replaced mine last week. Same symptoms. I laughed at my dealer cause they were trying to get me to pay a $75 diagnosis fee. I said "the bike is smart enough to tell me what's wrong with it. I know the problem, and don't need your diagnosis."

It cured the issue.

Shielding it from heat was the recall action that should have been done. Make sure your bike had the recall done.
You can't buy a Ducati lawnmower, jetski or trombone.
Wa11er98S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 10:45 PM   #44

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wa11er98S View Post
Yup! Just replaced mine last week. Same symptoms. I laughed at my dealer cause they were trying to get me to pay a $75 diagnosis fee. I said "the bike is smart enough to tell me what's wrong with it. I know the problem, and don't need your diagnosis."

It cured the issue.

Shielding it from heat was the recall action that should have been done. Make sure your bike had the recall done.
Just the feedback I needed , many thanx guys. Now to tackle the dealership or make my own shield, the workshop foreman never mentioned a recall when I asked him about my problem so I don't see any happiness but I will give it a try
Duke916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 10:49 PM   #45

ducatis in the registry:
[1198 S]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke916 View Post
Just the feedback I needed , many thanx guys. Now to tackle the dealership or make my own shield, the workshop foreman never mentioned a recall when I asked him about my problem so I don't see any happiness but I will give it a try

If the recall hasn't been done then it should be free for you.

If they already replaced it once or you are outside of warranty (and they won't good will you the part), it is VERY easy to install so you don't have to pay the dealer to install it. As long as you have a hex head/allen key set then you can do it yourself in 10 mins.
You can't buy a Ducati lawnmower, jetski or trombone.

Last edited by Wa11er98S; July 27th, 2012 at 10:53 PM.
Wa11er98S is offline   Reply With Quote