Voltage Regulator Symptoms????? - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 24th, 2009, 12:04 AM   #1

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Voltage Regulator Symptoms?????

Those of you who've had voltage regulator issues, can you describe some of the symptoms that your bike was having? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks fellas.

ANDY
aldarnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old February 24th, 2009, 03:53 AM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S Tri-Color]

Hi;

Mine was interesting.

My front lights/flashers/dash backlight/neutral light would just quit after reaching a certain time/temp.
martinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 05:27 AM   #3

No ducatis in the registry

When I scrolled through the dash functions to voltage it indicated 11.9 to 12.3 volts. I also had some sort of indicator on the normal dash screen but don't remember exactly what it was.
Got the regulator done under warranty, replaced with one from a 999, no more problems

Last edited by bstar360; February 27th, 2009 at 01:27 AM.
bstar360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 05:30 AM   #4

From memory...........Dash battery voltage reading fluctuating between 12.5 and 15 volts, ''Hi'' flashes on dash and I believe the diagnostic warning light was illuminated. Head lights cutting out after 8 - 10 seconds of start up and just an awareness that all is not normal. All of this stuff was intermittent at the time, trouble was in my case it began the very evening of our trip to '08 Le Mans GP, she got me over the channel then BANG! 25 miles south of Caen and I wasn't going anywhere in a hurry, except straight back across the channel with a sick Duke! Get it into your dealer ASAP and let them do the diagnostic, or better still, the recall mod!!!

Carbon Termi's
Ducati Performance R/S
Pazzo's
Tommy Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 06:00 AM   #5

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

????

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldarnell View Post
Those of you who've had voltage regulator issues, can you describe some of the symptoms that your bike was having? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks fellas.

ANDY
I haven't had any symptoms yet but who really cares. There is a factory recall. Bring it to your dealer and they will replace it with a better one for free.

Oh, If you are at all concerned about symptoms you might be getting I would trailer the bike to the dealer or ask them to come out and get it.

Peace
Peewee
Old February 24th, 2009, 07:44 AM   #6

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S Tri-Color]

Dont think the guy need any lecture on trailoring his bike to the dealership;

Information from different symptoms related to the same problem will be highly desirable when the warranty will be over isnt it.

Its called an information database!
Old February 24th, 2009, 08:30 AM   #7

a yellow triangle light indicator came on. turned the bike off n wouldnt start again
Old February 24th, 2009, 08:43 AM   #8

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

My battery would always get too low to start the bike and sometimes the bike sounded/felt like it needed a shot of race fuel to get it going during start up.

The battery was replaced and tended but sure enough the same problem occured.

Got the recall done and sounds/feels like a champ.
fidencio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 12:01 PM   #9

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinc View Post
Dont think the guy need any lecture on trailoring his bike to the dealership;

Information from different symptoms related to the same problem will be highly desirable when the warranty will be over isnt it.

Its called an information database!
Martinc. A little over sensitive are we! I've re -read my post and there is no way I would ever be able to say what I wrote was a "Lecture". Lighten up dude.

Also, I could be wrong here but I think recalls have nothing to do with your warranty still being valid. Recall is a recall. Bring the bike in and get it fixed regardless of whether or not your warranty is still valid.

Aldarnell if YOU think I was lecturing you then I apologize to YOU. I in no way intended it to be received as such.

Peace
Peewee
Old February 24th, 2009, 01:23 PM   #10

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

mine slowly started having starting issues when cold and eventually did not want to start. as soon as the regulator was changed (recall), the bike started right up.
Old February 24th, 2009, 01:40 PM   #11

Mine gave me the yellow triangle of death, started running rough ("please make it home, baby, we're only 5 miles out"). The rough running prevented me from accelerating while on the freeway. It finally died and wouldn't crank. Pushed it 2 miles home and put it on the Tender. After charging for about 12 hours, it cranked. The voltage indicator on the panel showed something like 12V, not good enough to be charging.
I had the VR/R replaced under warranty. Still need to go in and get the recall done for the heat shield.

From now on, checking charging voltage with the switch on the left clip on is mandatory for every ride. I'm guessing that my VR/R failed long before the triangle lit up, had I seen the charging voltage on the panel drop from 14.1 - 14.3 (good), down to 12 (bad), I could have bee-lined it home and saved myself from a solid cardio workout.

Ducati's = fun to ride.
Ducati's = not so much fun to push...
2008 1098R - #247
Moonlighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 03:00 PM   #12

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S Tri-Color]

Quote:
Originally Posted by peewee1703 View Post
Martinc. A little over sensitive are we! I've re -read my post and there is no way I would ever be able to say what I wrote was a "Lecture". Lighten up dude.

Also, I could be wrong here but I think recalls have nothing to do with your warranty still being valid. Recall is a recall. Bring the bike in and get it fixed regardless of whether or not your warranty is still valid.

Aldarnell if YOU think I was lecturing you then I apologize to YOU. I in no way intended it to be received as such.

Peace
Peewee
AAahh,not sensitive,just tired of seeing uninformative replies where they are mostly needed...rider in distress!

Being a recall or not,one day that bug can happen to anyone...just be gratefull that Ducati aknowledged it,because as a Yamaha owner,I know R/R problems dont get touched with a 10 foot pole by Japanese manufacturers...were on our own with them.

Good ridance!

P.S.

Sorry if I come across as aggressive or such,4 months away from my bikes snowed in over my head tend to do that.

1 month to go.
Old February 24th, 2009, 05:38 PM   #13

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Thanks

I really appreciate fellas. No one lectured me so don't sweat it. My bike is only reading 12 volts. Put it on a charger and it raises to 13.5 volts max. Once I take it off the charger it drops back down to 12. No warning lights yet though. But anyway, thanks again guys. I'll be taking it to the dealer tomorrow to see what they can do with it.

ANDY
aldarnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 03:34 AM   #14

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S Tri-Color]

To those that didnt have the problems,what is the mileage on your bikes?
Old February 25th, 2009, 03:39 AM   #15

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S Tri-Color]
[996]

Send a message via AIM to junior
battery just went flat ( did not charge at all )
junior is offline   Reply With Quote