Stalling again! - Page 2 - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 23rd, 2009, 06:17 PM   #16

No ducatis in the registry

stall at lights

'07 1098, full Termi. Stalled 4 times on a 20 minute city ride. Ambient temp, 40F, coolant temp +/- 120F. Annoying and unacceptable. Oh - 3600miles on the clock...
MeanPistonSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old March 23rd, 2009, 06:30 PM   #17

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]
[1098]

Mine only stalled twice in the first 595 miles. I had the dealership check it over and of course they could not duplicate the problem. Since the VR recall and the Akra slip-on's have been installed it's stalled 3 times in the last 60 miles.
Johnny954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2009, 09:36 PM   #18

had the issue when I first got the bike, although it already had a DP ECU with the full system
it was stalling, the dealer fix the issue by running it too rich, you can smell allot gas
coming out the exhaust. however when I got the PCIII installed the second dealer fix the issue
and my idle RPM went down from 1700 to 1400. so worst case get a PC III and a good map,
a custom one if you can.

Last edited by Ghostrider_2020; March 29th, 2009 at 01:49 AM.
Ghostrider_2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 08:35 PM   #19
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdscarpa View Post
just took mine out again today and its still stalling... at least it starts right back up though, it stalled twice when i was at one red light... im learning to just continuously rev it while it is clutched. im idling around 1250-1300 which i believe is about where it should be. i saved it a few other times from stalling by reving it, i really dont want to raise the idle.. it already moves to fast at idle in first when im in traffic.... getting to be a huge pain in the ass
Might just be me but 1250 seems a little low.

Never had an issue with 3 different ECU's (stock, full DP and Nemesis) idle at around 1450.

Last edited by Rosco; March 24th, 2009 at 08:38 PM.
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 06:36 PM   #20

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

I think I finally got it figured out. I spoke with my dealer and explained the problems with the stalling and not being able to restart. The stalling issued is related to the ECU most likely. Even though it's a "race" version with the Termi slip-ons I think that when it gets hot it leans out the bike too much and drops the idle. I probably have to pay up for a power commander to piggyback on the ECU to dial in the fuel mapping.

The starting issue is most likely the starter which apparently was an issue for some of the '07 models, although it wasn't a "recall". My dealer is speaking with DNA and I should have an answer by tomorrow in regards to them covering this issue. I think I might upgrade the battery also.

Thanks for all the replies.....
duc998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 07:37 PM   #21

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 R]

may be a solution for the stalling issue

the owner of the dealership that i purchased my 1098R from did some research and ended up with a 3 page check list from Ducati that addresses this stalling issue. the most interesting item is cam timing and/or replacement of one or both cams if their Identification numbers don't match with what's described in the check list. service will take a good tech the better part of a day to do. if you need cam replacements be prepared to leave the bike for a while.
not great news but apparently Ducati knows they have a problem.
cheers...........SPOKE
2007 Harley Screamin' Eagle Dyna
spoke1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 05:13 AM   #22

ducatis in the registry:
[1198]

If it is still stalling try installing a new clutch line lol jk
or maybe seriously* could be your clutch master cylinder. :/
idk what else it could be. Have you also tried adjusting the idle speed higher?

2006 ZX-6R (636) White-----------Kawasaki
2009 1198 White---------------------Ducati
Mr Jurassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 05:29 AM   #23

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Thanks guys for the info! It's going to the dealer on Saturday and hopefully I can get the issued solved.
duc998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 10:57 AM   #24

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Sounds like you guys are having some bad luck. My bike has stalled once when there was about 2000 on the clock. It's now pushing 6000 miles and havent had n e issues really. Except when i wash it, it wont start up for like an hour or so with 16.0 error message being displayed. Some relay error, but dealer should take care of that.

Last edited by MotherDucker; March 28th, 2009 at 03:27 PM.
MotherDucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 11:26 AM   #25

ducatis in the registry:
[998]

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoke1098 View Post
the most interesting item is cam timing and/or replacement of one or both cams if their Identification numbers don't match with what's described in the check list.
That's the answer. Getting the cam timing set correctly makes hella difference how they run. Get it right and they'll run smoothly down low to the point that you can leave a stoplight at 1200 rpm. And they will have more mid range power. It's the cure that Ducati does not want to put up on a billboard as it's sooo labor inten$$$ive for them to eat. In the interim they toss the smoke and mirrors various band aids we have seen over the last two years.

Dial them in and it'll be a flawlessly diferent bike.

Last edited by Slower than you; March 28th, 2009 at 11:31 AM.
Slower than you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 01:25 PM   #26

Exclamation stalling

New owner. Had VFR's (4) Aprilia, Beemers. Anyway, stalling
issue - cam timing makes sense, especially in the case of a high compression twin with mods. Touchy. My 1098 has stalled several times, and restarts so far. Interesting to note, though, the night before I picked it up, prev. owner could not get it started after storage. Said plugs were fouled (black). Cleaned them and got it started. Saw on another thread about rich mixture/fuel smells. Used to require 2-3 servo start cycles to fire - now I crack the throttle slightly and it fires and starts on the first cycle, even with OAT in the 30's. Seems to need a touch more air in the mix to be happy down low... 3,500 miles, full Termi/ECU.
MeanPistonSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 04:49 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slower than you View Post
That's the answer. Getting the cam timing set correctly makes hella difference how they run. Get it right and they'll run smoothly down low to the point that you can leave a stoplight at 1200 rpm. And they will have more mid range power. It's the cure that Ducati does not want to put up on a billboard as it's sooo labor inten$$$ive for them to eat. In the interim they toss the smoke and mirrors various band aids we have seen over the last two years.

Dial them in and it'll be a flawlessly diferent bike.
What's with these Ducatis? Why don't the cams come degreed properly in the first place? Seriously, you're right. Having the cams degreed makes a huge difference in runability. I've owned a bunch of Ducs and either replaced the cams or had them properly degreed. Your also right that no salesman will ever tell you that this might be an issue. The wonderful thing about Ducatis is that one modification such as full exhaust, will then make it necessary to fix the fueling and so on. It's a good money maker though!
Dr. No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 07:26 PM   #28

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

+ 1 on the cam degreeing, it made a night and day difference in the way the bike performs. And i thought it was fantastic before.

I thought my stalling days were over when i had the full system installed, but towards the end of last year it started stalling every once and a while.

all 4 cams were out of time, intakes were the worst, 8-9 degrees retarded.

Now it starts with 1-2 cranks (cold), pulls like a freight train, has a rock steady idle @ 1400 and it revs silky smooth.

so far no stalling.

If your still under warranty have the cams checked out, preferably when your having the 7500mi service. They might need to be degreed or replaced. its 9 hrs to degree the cams, you don't want to pay out of pocket for that.

07 Ducati 1098

Last edited by Desmo Duc; March 29th, 2009 at 07:41 PM.
Desmo Duc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 08:38 PM   #29

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

I went thru this all thru 07 with my first 1098. My dealer really stepped up and went beyond my service expectations, but the problem was never one they were completely sure they had cured. I have an 08 1098S now and it's a different story, it has stalled a couple of times in it's 5000 mile life. - but only a couple of times and spaced out over months.

The cam timing was thought to be the culprit with my 1098, and as Dr.No pointed out, it aint cheap or fast to degree the cams. I've heard that the problem is - some cams came with the bolt/holes misaligned (cam sprocket or cam - not sure which).

Finding which one is out, and degreeing them correctly is a big job, and one DNA would rather avoid on warranty I would think!
Bonneville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 07:41 AM   #30

Another problem you may face is finding a mechanic who knows how to degree the cams correctly. They don't teach this at MMI. I had someone try to degree some 996 SPS cams in my s4 who didn't have a fricking clue at what he was doing. I went through 6 or 7 sets of plugs before taking the bike somewhere else. Just be sure and ask around for someone who has experience. With someone who knows what they are doing, the process should only take~ 4 hrs.
Dr. No is offline   Reply With Quote