Stalling again! - Page 3 - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 30th, 2009, 01:36 PM   #31

No ducatis in the registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. No View Post
Another problem you may face is finding a mechanic who knows how to degree the cams correctly. They don't teach this at MMI.
FWIW they do teach it at Wyotech. That said there is a difference between being taught how to do it on one engine on a stand with the dial indicators mounted vs. doing it on any of the many different motorcycles Ducati makes and like anything practice is the key to doing it in a timely and efficient manner. Some shops hardly ever have a customer that wants their cam timing done and some do it on a daily basis.

Last edited by woodyracing; March 30th, 2009 at 01:41 PM.
woodyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old April 1st, 2009, 06:45 PM   #32

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Thanks again for the info!
duc998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 06:55 PM   #33

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Yeah good info guys, about to take mine in to have this addressed... mine still stalls....
Old April 16th, 2009, 05:31 AM   #34

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

I had just picked up my bike from the dealership on a Saturday morning (weather cool) for the starter replacement. I left the dealer and during the ride home the bike stalled 3 times although it fired right up again thanks to the new starter! So I think I will just live with this problem or throw a Power Commander on with the ECU to fine tune the fuel mapping. You gotta love the Ducati!
duc998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 05:38 PM   #35

The weather finally got half way warm and most of the gravel off the roads so I thought I would ride the bike to work. The bike stalled 5 times through out the day just like everyone elses, pulling in the clutch and coasting to light or just dies as I am sitting at a light. Kinda tired of people looking at me thinking I'm stalling my bike and that I have no business being on one if I keep stalling it. Really pisses me off when I'm riding with my buddies (most of which have R1's) and this beautiful Italian machine wont stay running. Dealer has told me again and again to put the full Termi system on and that will do the trick, thats all well and good but if that is the only cure then maybe there should be some sort of discount or rebate, maybe this is something that we all need to really come together on if it is truly the only fix. Anyway, sorry for the long rant, just this really pisses me off.
muirheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2009, 03:19 AM   #36

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S Tri-Color]

Have the dealer do a compression test if this hasnt already been done.

Some had their entire cylinder/head assembly upgraded because of that.

Cam timing too.
martinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 03:06 PM   #37

My bike has been stalling recently... and judging from past posts... it might have something to do with the recent increase in temperature around here.
Anyways... I was wondering if I bring the bike in for service, if this stalling issue could be fixed for free as it is ducati's problem, not mine. I'm not sure how warranty works on these bikes as I'm the second owner.
ipeefreely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 06:53 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipeefreely View Post
My bike has been stalling recently... and judging from past posts... it might have something to do with the recent increase in temperature around here.
Anyways... I was wondering if I bring the bike in for service, if this stalling issue could be fixed for free as it is ducati's problem, not mine. I'm not sure how warranty works on these bikes as I'm the second owner.

You should have no problem getting the dealer to look at your bike under warranty especially if you have had previous accounts of it stalling documented; if they give you grief just get in touch with Ducati North America, they have been great with me as I am going through the process now. Here is their latest correspondence with me in regards to my stalling problem.

Dear Mr. Muirheid,
Thank you for the update.
Your ticket has been forwarded to me. Please let me know when youíve scheduled an appointment with Ducati of Southern Colorado (or whichever Authorized Dealership is most convenient for you). At that time, I will notify the Regional Service Manager so that we can assist your dealership in diagnosing and resolving your concerns.

Best regards,

Cžntia
Technical Representative
Customer Service
Phone (408) 253-0499 Ext. 4431
E-Fax (408) 716-2696

DUCATI North America
10443 Bandley Dr.
Cupertino, CA 95014
www.ducatiusa.com[/FONT]

08 Ducati 1098... this thing just kicks ass!!
01 Ducati Monster 750... what a fun bike
03 Yamaha Raptor 660r to play in the dirt

Last edited by muirheid; April 28th, 2009 at 06:57 PM.
muirheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 11:03 AM   #39
R13

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc998 View Post
It runs good at speed but it stalled when I pulled in the clutch so it almost sounds like some sort of fuel setting problem. It was a warm day and I tend to think it's a minor issue.....but still annoying! I will have to take it back and have them look at the map settings. Thanks for the reply!
Brand new 1198 with 150km's and stalls with and w/o the clutch engaged. Occurs more often in/about city/traffic. Looks like it crosses over from the 1098 to the 1198 if that helps narrow down the issue.
R13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2009, 09:31 PM   #40

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapit View Post
if it makes you feel any better after I got the recall on my 848 it stalled twice on the way home(7mi), both times with the clutch pulled in coming up to light. Now about 300mi later and it hasn't done that, but has stalled twice sitting at a light in neutral, just shut itself off. BTW, never stalled once before the recall was done. I don't have an answer as of yet, I only have slip ons with the stock map. I agree that it is annoying, the dealer isn't much help; common sense says it is something they did since it never did it before. good luck
These are the exact conditions mine stalls under, except I can't tie it to VR recall but rather installation of half system & ECU. I just want a bike that runs right....

Last edited by Bahnstoermer; May 8th, 2009 at 09:38 PM.
Bahnstoermer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2009, 09:38 PM   #41

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Quote:
Originally Posted by muirheid View Post
The weather finally got half way warm and most of the gravel off the roads so I thought I would ride the bike to work. The bike stalled 5 times through out the day just like everyone elses, pulling in the clutch and coasting to light or just dies as I am sitting at a light. Kinda tired of people looking at me thinking I'm stalling my bike and that I have no business being on one if I keep stalling it. Really pisses me off when I'm riding with my buddies (most of which have R1's) and this beautiful Italian machine wont stay running. Dealer has told me again and again to put the full Termi system on and that will do the trick, thats all well and good but if that is the only cure then maybe there should be some sort of discount or rebate, maybe this is something that we all need to really come together on if it is truly the only fix. Anyway, sorry for the long rant, just this really pisses me off.
Wow, this is really looking to be a consistent behavior at this point. I concur with your thoughts exactly! I draw eyes with a bright yellow Ducati rumbling up to a light, and then laughs when the damn thing dies. Anyway, maybe it is a trend Ducati is picking up on. My dealer told me there is a 2nd ECU out for the Half System, even since the time mine was installed this winter. Supposedly my 08 has the "new" cams, not sure if that means they're necessarily timed to perfection or not. FWIW, mine only started doing this after install of half system. Dropping stock ECU / Cans off tomorrow for the dealer to reinstall & take some measurements from at the direction of the Ducati Field Engineer. Just want to go again without any more
Old May 9th, 2009, 12:34 AM   #42

Talking to my dealer about all this stalling stuff they seemed to indicate to me that lacking dealer service experience can often be the culprit. He basically made it sound like a lot of people don't know how to "set these things up correctly". Whatever that means...

I, of course, took this to mean that they know what they are doing....LOL...I will find out this week as I'm finally picking up my new leftover 2008 1098s. I'm just praying that I don't run into all these headaches...

Cheers
Dbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2009, 02:57 AM   #43

ducatis in the registry:
[Desmosedici RR]

Hey there. Not to add to your woes - but if you do a search on the 848 forum, you will see that loads of us had this issue too.

And that was the year after all the 1098 owners had their (identical) issues.

Ducati deny this is an issue, and everyone looks at you like it's rider related - but it can't be as there are simply too many of them doing it, and they all have identical symptoms - stalling clutch in or at lights. It feels like a "cut" not a stall.

And after about four months of my dealer patiently doing everything (changing ECU, VR, fuel lines, sidestand cutoutswitch, cam check, CO's et al numerous times), they were brilliant and got the head tech in from Ducati. He made me leave whilst he had a go so I couldn't watch, and he brought his own PC with him - didn't use theirs.

He claimed he made no changes. And yet, the bike has only stalled once or twice since in 12 months. It used to stall five times a day!!

Odd that don't you think?

So there are obviously known reasons for this - but my guess is he changed the map in the ECU. It ran like a train after he changed it - quite different from before. And like I say, has hardly ever stalled since.

I searched these forums and there were guys last year selling 1098's because they had just had enough of this issue.

So it's not just you - but it also is curable. I always suspected it was the ECU and something to do with the fuel mapping to get it through emissions regs. They re tuned to within a whisker to get them through. I guess they are therefore super sensitive to any tiny discrepancy. But they are not going to tell you that they have changed it are they - if doing so contravenes the regs.

Let's see if mine passes any MOT's (inc emissions tests) when it hits 3 years old! Bet it doesn't......
ChamMTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2009, 03:09 AM   #44

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]
[907ie Paso]

Proper set-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
He made it sound like a lot of people don't know how to "set these things up correctly". Whatever that means.
Dbone,

It means exactly that. Lots of, supposedly "qualified," techs don't know how to set up a Ducati Superbike properly.

Thanks to Federal regs, new Ducatis come from Italy with a restrictive exhaust system complete with a catalytic converter and noise restrictors, and an ECU set to a very lean setting. Without these things, your new Duc wouldn't pass Federal and State inspection regs.

Guys, you want your new Duc to not stall? It's very simple. Remove that piece of crap OEM exhaust, (which serves no purpose other than to get your bike through customs!), install a free-flowing Full Termi System with dedicated ECU, and have your bike set up by a qualified tech who knows what he's doing. Obviously, he'll need a dyno to do this properly. If your tech tells you he can set your new Duc up properly without a dyno, you need a new tech.

This analysis excludes the rare bike that has cam issues. Obviously, if your cams are not degreed properly, no amount of Full Termi installation and/or fuel mapping adjustments coupled with dyno runs is gonna stop your Duc from stalling. But cam issues are exceptionally rare. The vast majority of Ducati superbikes will run perfectly once the proper exhaust is installed and the bike is properly set up by a qualified tech using a dyno.

And to all you guys who want to complain about how, "This is ridiculous! This is a rip-off! I just spent a small fortune on my new Ducati! It should run fine with the OEM exhaust! My old GSXR ran fine with the OEM exhaust!, blah, blah, blah,), I say, "You're right. Go buy another GSXR."

Just my opinion. But for what it's worth, none of my Ducatis have ever had any stalling problems. So we can dispute this point all you want, but while you're home on the internet, arguing with DNA about how your new Ducati should run fine with OEM equipment, I'll be out riding one of my beautiful Ducs.

Elton
Track Bikes (#58):
'08 Kawasaki ZX6R (Green)
'02 Yamaha R6 (Black)

Street Bikes:
'07 MV Agusta F4 1000 R (Red/Silver)
'07 Ducati 1098s (Red)
'93 Ducati 907ie w/ worked engine (Red)
'93 Ducat 907ie (Red)
'91 Ducati 907ie (Red)
'82 Kawasaki KZ1100 Spectre (Wine/Black)

Last edited by mrinflux; May 9th, 2009 at 03:42 AM.
mrinflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2009, 04:49 AM   #45

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Dbone: Original purchase and two follow up visits to the Ajax dealer and still stalled, one visit to Goodtimes and no more stalling. I'd say they've a right to say that.
raptuous is offline   Reply With Quote