ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts (https://www.ducati.org/forums/)
-   1098/1198 (https://www.ducati.org/forums/1098-1198/)
-   -   Stalling again! (https://www.ducati.org/forums/1098-1198/12265-stalling-again.html)

duc998 March 2nd, 2009 11:13 AM

Stalling again!

Well, here it is....I had the 2nd recall (voltage regulator this time) done and the bike stalled again. My bike was running 190 degrees but that shouldn't matter. I have the temignoni slip ons with a remap ecu, but who knows? I immediately tried to restart but would hardly turn over. I turned it off and waited a few minutes and it refired again?? I have had Ducatis for 7 years but this is getting old! :banghead:

buckeye March 2nd, 2009 11:18 AM

Damn...that's a bummer. The voltage reg recall shouldn't do anything to the way it WAS running. I've got an S with the race ECU and full system so we're not apples to apples here but the VR switch didin't do a thing.

Still runs great...always has!:yo:

Let us know when you find somthing out.

Doug

duc998 March 2nd, 2009 11:32 AM

It runs good at speed but it stalled when I pulled in the clutch so it almost sounds like some sort of fuel setting problem. It was a warm day and I tend to think it's a minor issue.....but still annoying! I will have to take it back and have them look at the map settings. Thanks for the reply!

buckeye March 2nd, 2009 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duc998 (Post 144062)
It runs good at speed but it stalled when I pulled in the clutch so it almost sounds like some sort of fuel setting problem.

Almost sounds like your ECU reset to prior settings. Your symptoms are just like the others that have had the stalling problem when the bike first came out. If it did reset...makes me wonder if it would also reset when changing/disconnecting the battery. Curious!:jerkoff:

Doug

tapit March 2nd, 2009 09:47 PM

if it makes you feel any better after I got the recall on my 848 it stalled twice on the way home(7mi), both times with the clutch pulled in coming up to light. Now about 300mi later and it hasn't done that, but has stalled twice sitting at a light in neutral, just shut itself off. BTW, never stalled once before the recall was done. I don't have an answer as of yet, I only have slip ons with the stock map. I agree that it is annoying, the dealer isn't much help; common sense says it is something they did since it never did it before. good luck

duc998 March 4th, 2009 05:57 PM

Thanks guys....I will work on it and let you know

Zingo March 4th, 2009 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duc998 (Post 144874)
Thanks guys....I will work on it and let you know

I hope you get it worked out man. I had major stalling issues all last summer and early fall. Dealer "adjusted cam timing" and it hasn't stalled since. It hasn't been hot though. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Bahnstoermer March 4th, 2009 10:27 PM

I am experiencing the exact same problem. Had the VR recall done, now I stall when pulling in the clutch or at lights. The engine would sometimes cut out prior to VR recall, but this was very different, during load while slipping the clutch - doesn't do that any more which is good, but yes, this is annoying. Several times each time I ride, such that now you're always paranoid sitting at a light that the engine is going to die! Damn these things, I want it to run right!

martinc March 5th, 2009 04:50 AM

AT least they only stall coasting to a stop....mine stalled going 180km/h near a turn on the road and locked the back wheel solid (good pistons seal I guess!) putting me in an almost 108 degres slide...grabbed clutch,tail whiopped hard back straight and saved the day...sweat.

That stalling while coasting happend on my 97 TLS and Suzuki swapped ecus...effectively cured the problem while robbing me of 15 rwhp.

There might be a problem with the dash as well,if your dealer has a backbone and is willing to experiment,he could swap dashes with a demo and see what happens next.

GoCaseyGo March 5th, 2009 02:41 PM

These bikes are all fly by wire. The dealer, i should think, should be able to hook the bike up to a computer and have the bike tell the dealer what the problem is. My gut tells me that this is an ECU problem of some sort.

duc998 March 7th, 2009 02:14 PM

Ok.....different day, bike temp running around 165 (cold morning) and not one stall. I rode for about 1 1/2 hour (canyon and city streets) ride and nothing? I always run the 91 octane but I guess it's just unpredictable?

Bahnstoermer March 11th, 2009 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duc998 (Post 145737)
Ok.....different day, bike temp running around 165 (cold morning) and not one stall. I rode for about 1 1/2 hour (canyon and city streets) ride and nothing? I always run the 91 octane but I guess it's just unpredictable?

That's funny, because I took mine out the other day, rode ALL day, and not one stall either. It hards to take it to the dealer and ask for help if the problem is this damn intermittent. I dunno, hopefully it will just magically never stall again :P

JINX March 15th, 2009 10:35 AM

dealer or anyone think of vapor lock?

buckeye March 15th, 2009 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdscarpa (Post 148049)
They charged me to retune it and blamed the stalling on my HIDs saying they kept clearing out the ECU.

That sounds like complete bull shit to me. Every ECU I've been around accepts the new program as it's "base" and will not go back to old settings. I'm no expert on Duc ECU's but I just don't believe it!:wtf:

duc998 March 18th, 2009 06:36 AM

When my bike stalled , I went to restart it and it barely turned over. The only way to restart was to turn off the key, wait about 2 to 3 minutes and then turn the key on and it starts right up as if nothing happened? I wonder if the battery itself is bad or the starter motor? I am running out of options. The VR recall didn't do a thing!