Living with the Bike The bike Stand - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 21st, 2007, 02:45 PM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

Living with the Bike The bike Stand

Becoming a fist time Ducati owner July/May I was wondering if Ducati stands have improved since the 748 , 998 bikes. I found it to be a very scary experience using the stands and did not like the auto re-tract feature.

Its not a Ducati thing. My mate dropped is Aprilla on the second day as the piddly stand could not cope with mild wind conditions.

But the witnessing some poor guy helplessy watch his yellow 748s topping over into the gravel at a crowded bike stop replays every time I see a stand. 100 odd heads turned and grimaced at the sound and then watched the poor guy pick it up and ride off without even taking his helmet off.

So how is the stand on thenew 1098
VB 777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old January 23rd, 2007, 08:13 AM   #2

Test rode a 1098 last weekend (put the deposit down a month ago!). Awesome, awesome, awesome!!!

I can confirm the stand is not a sprung, retractable one. But it's a pig to get at with your boot toe!!

Dave
Bluey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 11:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey

I can confirm the stand is not a sprung, retractable one. But it's a pig to get at with your boot toe!!

Dave
I'm with stupid
Old January 25th, 2007, 10:54 AM   #4

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

I find the stand MUCH better to use than the stand on my 999 which seemed too recessed into the body work and I really had to dig my toe in to fish it out.

HOWEVER, I have dropped my 1098 already, just a broken mirror, it landed on a push bike in the garage. This happened as the stand wasn't all the way forward so just pull teh bike back into the stand when you park it.
gossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 11:53 AM   #5

ducatis in the registry:
[748 S]

Send a message via AIM to addicted2spd
Even though just a broken mirror so sorry to hear, but atleast you got the dropping it out of the way early in the ownership as most likely it's bound to happen sometime. The drop had to have angered you though.... how much for the new mirror?
addicted2spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 07:04 PM   #6

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Send a message via AIM to DucatiGuy
For the record, the auto-retract stand found on earlier 7XX/9XX bikes can be "disabled". You can DIY with minor tweaking or opt for the OEM Ducati stand kit that will eliminate the retract feature. As far as I've seen, the 1098 does not have an auto-retract side stand. Personally the side stand on my 996 seemed to flimsy, but it was easier to reach when wearing riding gear than the one that was on my old 999. The 999 side stand however was MUCH better in terms of strength and size. Hope the 1098's will fall right inbetween the two.
DucatiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 03:52 AM   #7

ducatis in the registry:
[748]

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossa
I find the stand MUCH better to use than the stand on my 999 which seemed too recessed into the body work and I really had to dig my toe in to fish it out.

HOWEVER, I have dropped my 1098 already, just a broken mirror, it landed on a push bike in the garage. This happened as the stand wasn't all the way forward so just pull teh bike back into the stand when you park it.
ooh Gossa - Sorry to hear that! I managed to drop my 748 of its rear stand trying to manouver it around in the garage by pulling the stand accross the ground with the bike still on it (idiot!) - The bike slid off the stand and fell on to my KTM. The KTM foot peg put massive scrape in the tank (150 respray) smashed the screen and snapped the hugger off - Was gutted.

Still if its gonna happen better in the garage than down the road!
floydstar is offline   Reply With Quote